· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,346 Posts
Grey market?

· Registered
2023 Bolt EUV, 2021 Kona Electric
3,350 Posts
Grey market?
No idea what Canada's laws are but a grey market is when you buy a product that can't be bought in your country circumventing import/export laws that no one really knows if its legal or illegal. It would appear from quick Googling that Canada limits their grey market to cars that are 15+ years old and not sold in Canada.

This is kind of BS, we're all asleep at the wheel, Canadian, Mexican and American citizens shouldn't tolerate NAFTA that exists for big business and then turns around and protects a silo'd market against competition. If it meets the safety standards for the individual nation you should be able to buy it from any other member country.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
No idea what Canada's laws are but a grey market is when you buy a product that can't be bought in your country circumventing import/export laws that no one really knows if its legal or illegal. It would appear from quick Googling that Canada limits their grey market to cars that are 15+ years old and not sold in Canada.

This is kind of BS, we're all asleep at the wheel, Canadian, Mexican and American citizens shouldn't tolerate NAFTA that exists for big business and then turns around and protects a silo'd market against competition. If it meets the safety standards for the individual nation you should be able to buy it from any other member country.
OK got it.
Generally it is not a huge deal to import a used car or an item that isn't built here...such as an RV but there are some hoops to jump through and one has to be careful that it is actually worth it.
New ones are more difficult but I am OK with that....I like the jobs that GM, Ford and Chrysler provide in my area and the economic spinoff that comes with that. Not to mention that buying cars here keeps the warranty and parts services available.
That is the number one reason why I steadfastly only purchase cars (and any other items I can) that are built in North America...because I am happy to support the member countries as they in turn support me.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
OK got it.
Generally it is not a huge deal to import a used car or an item that isn't built here...such as an RV but there are some hoops to jump through and one has to be careful that it is actually worth it.
New ones are more difficult but I am OK with that....I like the jobs that GM, Ford and Chrysler provide in my area and the economic spinoff that comes with that. Not to mention that buying cars here keeps the warranty and parts services available.
That is the number one reason why I steadfastly only purchase cars (and any other items I can) that are built in North America...because I am happy to support the member countries as they in turn support me.
You're fine with an American company charging you $6,000 more than over the border? Isn't that against the entire spirit if NAFTA?

I don't see any way to view this entire thing other than through the lens of the market is free for big business and not for us. We've opened up everything to them and put no anti-trust protections in between.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Well, if you look at actual pricing that really isn't the case.
I've seen lots of numbers on this forum for EUVs similar to mine and when I do the currency exchange they were all significantly more than what I paid including the rebate.
I'm not fine with it in general terms but in this case it has to do with the distortions that these EV incentives keep causing.
The only reason it isn't being offered here is because the incentives continue while in the US the tax incentive is no longer available.
Same reason I can buy a brand new Pacifica today for less than my 2018 was 4 years ago...as the incentives dwindled then the price came down.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Well, if you look at actual pricing that really isn't the case.
I've seen lots of numbers on this forum for EUVs similar to mine and when I do the currency exchange they were all significantly more than what I paid including the rebate.
I'm not fine with it in general terms but in this case it has to do with the distortions that these EV incentives keep causing.
The only reason it isn't being offered here is because the incentives continue while in the US the tax incentive is no longer available.
Same reason I can buy a brand new Pacifica today for less than my 2018 was 4 years ago...as the incentives dwindled then the price came down.
As it relates to the Bolt is one thing, which is probably the only thing you really care about :D

I'll keep my pointed NAFTA macro opinions to myself :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Reactions: RacerX00

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm one of the unlucky buyers that purchased days before the announcement. I was driving home and heard this on the news and my jaw dropped. My luck... I have written email after email. The only response I got implied GM knew this was going to upset a lot of customers that just purchased but so far there has been no communication about a remedy, only that they know customers are upset. My dealer (Mirak in Arlington, MA) has been of absolutely no help, zero, zilch, nada... I have purchased 5 new GM vehicles since starting to drive and I promise this will be my last if something isn't done. We're not talking about $1000...I would've just accepted the bad timing but $5900 is ridiculous and there must be a remedy. Write to the higher-ups at GM, CEO Mary Barra ([email protected]) or VP of Marketing Scott Bell ([email protected]). If anyone knows of others to write to at GM please pass that along. If enough of us express how upset we are maybe GM will get the message. This has the potential to really hurt GM's reputation, as it should. Our cars dropped $5900 in resale immediately not including the inevitable new car depreciation. How could any thinking person at GM not have some empathy or foresight of this being an issue to those that just purchased a Bolt...

· Registered
154 Posts
I'm one of the unlucky buyers that purchased days before the announcement. I was driving home and heard this on the news and my jaw dropped. My luck... I have written email after email. The only response I got implied GM knew this was going to upset a lot of customers that just purchased but so far there has been no communication about a remedy, only that they know customers are upset. My dealer (Mirak in Arlington, MA) has been of absolutely no help, zero, zilch, nada... I have purchased 5 new GM vehicles since starting to drive and I promise this will be my last if something isn't done. We're not talking about $1000...I would've just accepted the bad timing but $5900 is ridiculous and there must be a remedy. Write to the higher-ups at GM, CEO Mary Barra ([email protected]) or VP of Marketing Scott Bell ([email protected]). If anyone knows of others to write to at GM please pass that along. If enough of us express how upset we are maybe GM will get the message. This has the potential to really hurt GM's reputation, as it should. Our cars dropped $5900 in resale immediately not including the inevitable new car depreciation. How could any thinking person at GM not have some empathy or foresight of this being an issue to those that just purchased a Bolt...
Nothing will happen. The amount of upset Bolt buyers is insignificant. GM hasn’t done didily for Bolt owners the past 12 months more than what’s required by lemon law. BTW, nor would any other car manufacturer IMHO.

Tesla had a number of significant price reductions in late 2020/early 2021. There were no adjustments made.

That’s life. It won’t be the last time. Move on.

· Registered
47 Posts
Nothing will happen. The amount of upset Bolt buyers is insignificant. GM hasn’t done didily for Bolt owners the past 12 months more than what’s required by lemon law. BTW, nor would any other car manufacturer IMHO.

Tesla had a number of significant price reductions in late 2020/early 2021. There were no adjustments made.

That’s life. It won’t be the last time. Move on.
Aren't you just up-lifting... And we care about Tesla why? People can vent, especially when they are all getting screwed either coming off an accelerated buyback (they pressured a number of us hard to not do an actual buyback) or are getting screwed in equity while waiting for a battery STILL. It's a particularly shitty time to do a giant price cut in the midst of an active total recall of all models and years ever made.--It was poorly timed and poorly implemented.

Let people vent, just because all brands suck doesn't mean we shouldn't push them harder. ****, I'm pissed and I don't even own my swapped EUV anymore or my sh*t pile original EV (swapped with a failed main contactor, creaky front axle, paint balded rear lift gate strikers and about ten other rattles and little failures.) Got wind of the price reductions and traded it in for roughly what I bought it for and grabbed an EV6 for not a ton more. Far superior car in every aspect imo.

Overall, my Bolt EV was my biggest fail of a purchase yet, my Volt before it was far better build quality and had zero issues over four years and 60k miles. I should have never traded that car in...

· Registered
154 Posts
Aren't you just up-lifting... And we care about Tesla why? People can vent, especially when they are all getting screwed either coming off an accelerated buyback (they pressured a number of us hard to not do an actual buyback) or are getting screwed in equity while waiting for a battery STILL. It's a particularly shitty time to do a giant price cut in the midst of an active total recall of all models and years ever made.--It was poorly timed and poorly implemented.

Let people vent, just because all brands suck doesn't mean we shouldn't push them harder. ****, I'm pissed and I don't even own my swapped EUV anymore or my sh*t pile original EV (swapped with a failed main contactor, creaky front axle, paint balded rear lift gate strikers and about ten other rattles and little failures.) Got wind of the price reductions and traded it in for roughly what I bought it for and grabbed an EV6 for not a ton more. Far superior car in every aspect imo.

Overall, my Bolt EV was my biggest fail of a purchase yet, my Volt before it was far better build quality and had zero issues over four years and 60k miles. I should have never traded that car in...
I don't have an issue with venting. Be my guest.

I still don't understand why people are upset at the price cut. The reason I mentioned Tesla is that they did the same thing, cutting the prices numerous times in 2020/2021. It's just weird to hear people (consumers) complain when prices go down...isn't that we all want? Also, if you recently bought a Bolt and did your homework, you should be aware of all the crap associated with the recall and the poor image the car has. The only way they could sell the car last year was by slashing the prices, and now because of gas prices.

But if you think it's going to make a concrete difference to contact GM and Mary Barra, you're high.

· Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,256 Posts
I don't have an issue with venting. Be my guest.

I still don't understand why people are upset at the price cut. The reason I mentioned Tesla is that they did the same thing, cutting the prices numerous times in 2020/2021. It's just weird to hear people (consumers) complain when prices go down...isn't that we all want? Also, if you recently bought a Bolt and did your homework, you should be aware of all the crap associated with the recall and the poor image the car has. The only way they could sell the car last year was by slashing the prices, and now because of gas prices.

But if you think it's going to make a concrete difference to contact GM and Mary Barra, you're high.
I agree with your points.

Why not be happy for future buyers? Isn’t a lower price a good thing for those of us who want to see greater EV adoption too?

Each one of us paid no more than what we thought the car was worth to us. In general, cars are a lousy financial investment too. So unless one is a car flipper, obsessing over resale value makes little sense. Drive and enjoy the car, and be happy more people can now afford to join in.

GM can't win. If they raise the price, people complain. If they lower the price, people complain.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts