Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I just got a 2020 Bolt EV and am having trouble determining the correct charger to get for my apartment garage. The apartment garage is equipped with 3 NEMA 6-50R outlets that support level 2 charging. However, I am having difficulty trying to find a portable level 2 EVSE that has a male 6-50r plug. Was wondering if there is an adapter that anyone has used that would work? Or if anyone else has a portable EVSE that they use on a 6-50R plug successfully? I am attaching a picture of my apartment garage outlet for reference. Thank you!

Attachments

· Registered
372 Posts
The R stands for receptacle so you are just looking for a NEMA 6-50.
Based on the sharpie it looks like it's a two phase circuit in panel "LP8" and the breaker is across circuits 51 and 53. But I'd double check with Building maintenance what the actual circuit breaker is rated for.
KonaKaiKen showed how he made a little stand/ caddy for his EVSE box so that he doesn't have to mount it to the wall.
With that you can expand you options past just "portable EVSE" to anything really.

· Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
742 Posts

· Registered
878 Posts
Good work, and I know it's been said many times before, but the NEMA 14-50 is pretty dumb/wasteful/pointless for EV charging, since it includes a neutral wire. But I think electricians like it because of its versatility and that you can plug anything in to it later on, like a stove or dryers. Why you'd want a stove in your garage is another thing, but the point is that an EV doesn't use the neutral, and I'd even wager that the chargers with 14-50 plugs actually have 3 conductor cables and not 4 molded on to the 4 prong plugs. Depending on the charger, one could very easily swap in a 6-50 plug set. In fact, you won't even have an empty terminal inside the charger for that neutral wire. Just cut it or nut it :) or buy an adapter. Or have an electrician swap the outlet at your own expense.

· Registered
372 Posts
Good work, and I know it's been said many times before, but the NEMA 14-50 is pretty dumb/wasteful/pointless for EV charging, since it includes a neutral wire.
In theory with a neutral you could add courtesy outlet next to the EVSE outlet.
Also I think that the 14-50 is really common in hardware stores. Just playing Devil's advocate.

· Registered
2020 Bolt LT
704 Posts
Mattbatt, what do you think about the 10-50 (old stove type ) vs 6-50?
for some reason, I favor/think the larger blades may provide a larger surface area on the 10-50.

· Registered
2020 LT w/ ht steering
49 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.