Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I went on a short trip to Western MA, checking out the Fall foliage. We took the Bolt as part of the adventure!!

Spoiler alert: There was no drama during this trip. I picked where we were going, and how we were getting there, just to ensure this lack of aggravation.

Day one was to Lenox MA, from our place on Cape Cod, about 230 miles. We stayed at the Gateways B&B. Why there?
Because they had an electric car charger (ChargePoint. Also a Tesla unit.). Actually, quite a few places have these chargers now.

Day two was really in two parts. We first slowly meandered from Lenox to Shelburne, MA. We’ve been there many times over the years. It’s an interesting town, as there are “glacial potholes” (OK, they ain’t glacial. But, that’s how they are referred to.) formed many thousands of years (?). Salmon used to be caught there by the indigenous American Indians

Then, around a hundred years ago, an electrical power dam was put there, so, no more salmon…

The photos I attached are of the area by the potholes, by the iron bridge, as well as the Bridge of Flowers, that crosses the river.

We also drove over to the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge. Weather was kind of overcast, but no rain, which was a good thing!

A couple of things:

First stop for charging was at the Charlton Rest Area, west-bound on 90. Went from 68 miles showing on the GOM (yes, I know…) to 137 miles. Charge stopped at 24.51 kWh (45:38 minutes, for $13.50), even though my charge point level was set for 100% away from home. Kind of annoying, but not an issue during our trip.

The Gateways B&B had a ChargePoint unit, which we used to fill up the Bolt (to 100%) both days we were there. Very handy. I made a point of letting the folks there know that I found their B&B through PlugShare.

On the return home we stopped at the Alltown Fresh gas station/food place, in Plymouth, MA (exit 5 on Route 3). The GOM showed 66 miles remaining, and I had just under 70 miles needed to get home.

The first two Electrify America chargers wouldn't take my credit card, the third try did it. All during a rainy Nor'easter. Swell. The electric lines are simply too short for comfort with the Electrify America units. Just barely makes it to the charging port, and I was right up against the barrier.

Here again, the charger stopped at 58%, or 137 miles on the GOM. No idea why that happens. No big deal for me, as that gave me plenty of buffer. Still, what if I were really traveling distance?

Some comments:
Electrify America charger cables are simply too short! The EVgo cables were fine.

EVs really need a simple “handshake” connection for charging DFSC charging, just like with Tesla!!

Wife at the EVgo fast charger.

My Bolt was never so insulted!!

Shelburne Fall, MA

Bridge of Flowers, Shelburne Falls.

Norman Rockwell museum.

End of trip, from Lenox to Cape Cod.
https://i.imgur.com/Cp3yjco.jpg

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Interesting that the sign says "...for Tesla charging" while providing a J1772 EVSE that's not for Teslas (without an adapter). I wonder if "Tesla" will become the generic term for EVs in the minds of uninformed people, much like "Kleenex" is the generic term for facial tissues.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You all understand that Tesla paid for both the Tesla Destination units, and the Clipper Creek units? The sign was put up by the B&B owner, not Tesla. Whether they understand what they have hanging on their wall is anybody's guess. My guess is that Greg is right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In reference to turning off early... "45:38 minutes .." above: That situation got me until I vaguely remembered that a lot of the chargers turn off at 45 minutes -ish I guess. You have to re-start the charge if you need more than 45 minutes worth. I don't totally agree, but whatever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks for the write up and pics. Looks like a lovely trip. Every business I visit that has an EVSE I talk to the manager/Owner and let them know it's the reason i chose their establishment (whether true or not). I just like to get the word out right now (y)

·
Registered
41 Posts
A fun note. I live just down the road from Shelburne Falls (the village of Buckland and Shelburne). Have you watched the movie 'The Judge'? it really has wonderful shots of the town. I charge at the Charlton stop when I drive to the cape and back. nice to top up. There's a new charger in the parking lot near those falls. They installed it and set the price at $.40/kWh and got a lot of complaints so they've lowered it to $.33.

thanks for writing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts