Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recommended video on Youtube. I've never driven a Tesla, but I never knew what the limitations were. This is a cool video.

Edit: Summary is that there are certainly limitations to both systems. Lane keeping and traffic speed control is pretty much on par, but where they differ are the tighter turns, no lane markings (Tesla AP not available in this instance), and where there are narrow roads with hazards on both sides of the lane. The video summary has timestamps on each test case they did.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
$1000 OpenPilot? Sounds like an oxymoron. Open suggests a community of contributors building an opensource and free to use thing, but $1,000 is pretty far from free. Should be called BargainPilot, or stripperpilot, or some such thing.

These other compelling autopilot projects are exactly why I say it's crazy to pay Tesla a lot of money for an unproven technology. Their narrative is that you're locking in the price, but a price lock isn't good for the consumer if the price goes lower, which is almost always what happens with technology.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$1000 OpenPilot? Sounds like an oxymoron. Open suggests a community of contributors building an opensource and free to use thing, but $1,000 is pretty far from free. Should be called BargainPilot, or stripperpilot, or some such thing.

These other compelling autopilot projects are exactly why I say it's crazy to pay Tesla a lot of money for an unproven technology. Their narrative is that you're locking in the price, but a price lock isn't good for the consumer if the price goes lower, which is almost always what happens with technology.
I believe you're mistaking the definition of "free" in open source...it means free, as in freedom; not free, as in beer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts