Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Almost 3 out of every 4 EV's on the road (excluding Teslas) have been leased according to Edmunds and CNBC.

They liken the buying habits of EV owners to those of smartphone shoppers. EV drivers are more likely to be early adopters but resist full ownership knowing that better batteries, better technology and better range is coming. Or so the logic goes.

The continual march of technology exacerbates the leasing decision, rapid technological advancement renders ever last years technology 'obsolete', severely impacting resale and residual values.

“Typically, you would have about 40 to 50 percent retention from three years after vehicle is new. EVs are only at 25 to 30 percent retention from their original price, even after factoring in the $7,500 federal incentive,” Anil Goyal, vice president of automotive valuation and analytics at Black Book, told CNBC.

According to the data the number of leases is coming down, percentage wise. From its 2013 peak of 84.3% it is now down to 74.9% in 2015. Still far higher then the 28% lease penetration for all vehicles.

Check out the CNBC report for all the dirty data.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This totally makes sense to me. If you buy an EV, in 3-5 years the batteries won't be the best around any more. You will have far less value if you try to resell it. I think leasing is a smarter decision and I also think that it is cheaper.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cheaper if you plan to change up for a longer lasting battery down the road and great government incentives not matter what. Lease or out the door, electric vehicles are a great deal. If The Chevy bolt can travel an upwards of 200 miles now, it'll only increase in a few years unless you perform an upgrade but even then there's no guarantee that it'll be able to compete with the newer models.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This totally makes sense to me. If you buy an EV, in 3-5 years the batteries won't be the best around any more. You will have far less value if you try to resell it. I think leasing is a smarter decision and I also think that it is cheaper.
As people become more confident in them and know what to expect then we should see an increase in ownership, till then this trend should continue... won't be easy to make that change, but it will happen.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing a comparison between ICE and EV efficiency after 3-5 years of driving. does the ICE return similar mileage over 5 years, does the battery hold as much energy as it did 5 years ago. I'd be interested in seeing the percentage dropoffs compared...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing a comparison between ICE and EV efficiency after 3-5 years of driving. does the ICE return similar mileage over 5 years, does the battery hold as much energy as it did 5 years ago. I'd be interested in seeing the percentage dropoffs compared...
If it's anything like the batteries we're used to in things like phones, and the various devices we use, there would be a cause for concern since the battery in them do go down with usage. That's something i'm sure many potential EV buyers have thought about, being the easiest reference point.

·
Registered
428 Posts
SO is one of the biggest challenges in battery development not only giving them range, but also giving them longevity over many years? It also must be hard to test for that completely since you would only see evidence of such factors as you progress towards those later years and the batteries age.

·
Registered
264 Posts
SO is one of the biggest challenges in battery development not only giving them range, but also giving them longevity over many years? It also must be hard to test for that completely since you would only see evidence of such factors as you progress towards those later years and the batteries age.
bateries don't age based on years, they age based on use. Charging and discharging energy from them is what degrades them over time. Cold and hot can exacerbate that as well...

You can totally test for that.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Used electric cars' resale value drops faster than their gas counterparts so you may as well lease one and not worry about figuring what to do with it when better models come out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have we really had enough time with EVs out in the world to know exactly how the batteries will perform over time? Granted, I think the consensus is not well, but do we know exactly how bad the degradation will be?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Have we really had enough time with EVs out in the world to know exactly how the batteries will perform over time? Granted, I think the consensus is not well, but do we know exactly how bad the degradation will be?
We have, just that those in the industry working on developing these know it far better than most of us. But no matter what they will have to make it work, that's one thing we can depend on, all a matter of time till we hear about it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Chevrolet will need to think of some way to get customers to buy out their cars after their leases are up. Nissan seems to be having a problem with their Leaf cars after the lease is up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The one thing they can do is to make ownership easy, and that would translate into better cost for replacing part, since of course it all comes down to money. If you can get around for a reasonable cost where you can't justify moving away... you'll stay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts