Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on the voltstats website (voltstats.net/BoltEV), there is a fellow Michigander (BlueBerry Bolt) who logged 759 miles in one 24 hour period. Wowzer! I'm assuming he/she is a GM employee as they've logged over 25k miles in their 2017 Bolt. Probably on a test track or something.

My car came with the DC fast charger option....is that what they had to utilize to get that much drive time in a 24 hour window? I've not seen a DC charger for my Bolt. Has anyone else seen them?

Dayle

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Over on the voltstats website (voltstats.net/BoltEV), there is a fellow Michigander (BlueBerry Bolt) who logged 759 miles in one 24 hour period. Wowzer! I'm assuming he/she is a GM employee as they've logged over 25k miles in their 2017 Bolt. Probably on a test track or something.

My car came with the DC fast charger option....is that what they had to utilize to get that much drive time in a 24 hour window? I've not seen a DC charger for my Bolt. Has anyone else seen them?

Dayle
I think that guy is in the Bolt EV Owners Facebook group. One time he said he did a MI-MD-MI round trip in a Bolt in 1 day. I'm guessing it has to be "Blueberry Bolt". And yes, they are a GM employee.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
But that means the Bolt had to be fully charged around three times in the span of 24 hours to complete 759 miles. Is that possible?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
That's pretty intense. I'm interested in a break down on how they did this
Even if we assume he was driving for all 24 hours, that's averaging almost 32 mph for 24 hours.

If we assume the guy slept for 6 hours, that's 42 mph. Then he probably was stopped at least 3 hours for charging, so then that becomes 51 mph.

Lots of driving for sure!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
1) Drive for 3 hours at 60 mph, then charge for 30 mins.

2) Drive for 90 mins at 60 mph, then charge for 30 mins.

- repeat step 2 until you get to 759 miles -

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I am working a deal with a CA dealer to sell me a Bolt which I could either pay $700 to ship or I drive it 1000 miles back to Denver. Does anyone think driving that distance in a new Bolt is reasonable? Would I only go 150+ miles and stop to charge for a few hours and then again and again? And is ther an app/website that can direct on the best route with charging stations along the way?

Or do I pull the trigger and have it shipped?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I am working a deal with a CA dealer to sell me a Bolt which I could either pay $700 to ship or I drive it 1000 miles back to Denver. Does anyone think driving that distance in a new Bolt is reasonable? Would I only go 150+ miles and stop to charge for a few hours and then again and again? And is ther an app/website that can direct on the best route with charging stations along the way?

You seem to be looking at it from the financial perspective, not whether or not you *want* to drive it home. In this case it comes down to how you value your time. It will probably take at least 21 hours for that trip using fast charge stations. Is that worth less to you than $700?

On the other hand if you do *want* to drive it home, than the $700 doesn't matter.

Ed

·
Registered
786 Posts
That distance record can be broken if there were two drivers. One drives and the other rests, then they swap (and take body reliefs) while taking in a DC charge. And if they really want to "cheat a bit", they can have a truck following them with a DC charger and batteries to charge anywhere on the same trip. I expect a Chevy Bolt EV owner to do this before any Tesla Motors fan does it.

Another way to establish a record is to drive around a closed circuit until the charge drops, then take the DC charge and body breaks, and drive again until the 24 hours have passed.

·
Registered
862 Posts

You won't be fast charging between CA and Denver, so your looking at charging for about 6 hours every 150 miles (unless you run into the Blink units that only provide 3.3 kW, then it's double that).

With L2, you're looking at more than 2 hours of charging for every hour you drive.

Plus, there are some pretty significant gaps that would require charging at RV parks and you would need an EVSE with a 14-50 Plug (or adapter) to carry along. Since you stated 1000 miles, that likely means Los Angeles? If you take I15 to I70, there is a 319 mile stretch over a mountain pass with no charging (except for RV parks).

Go to plugshare.com. To the right of the search box you can hit "trip planner". Enter starting and ending, then filter for CCS and EV Plug (J1772). You can adjust the slider for distance from route, but really no need on a trip like this. You can select stations and "Add to route" when the station info comes up. You'll have to go back to the filter and add NEMA 14-50 to complete the route. If you click "get turn-by-turn directions" it will open the route in Google Maps.

15 hours of drive time, 25+ hours of charging (very little if any free), hotels, meals, flight to CA.

$700 is a bargain. Ship the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts