Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

9/13/21 Bolt Fire - 2019 model in Cherokee County, GA

47K views 307 replies 83 participants last post by  jefro 
Another implication about the most recent owner not having had the car for very long is that most of the car's charge / discharge history is unknown to the most recent owner. Therefore, it is unlikely that, even if the most recent owner were to publicly give more details, the risk level of the charge / discharge history for most of the car's use will become publicly known.
GM knows a lot through OnStar, I have no idea how much information is being tracked by OnStar, but I sure would like full access to "My cars data"

Nah, that's never gonna happen.
You don't have the right to your data or data collected.
Just as Google facebook and all the others won't share with you what they know or collected about you.
They will share it among themselves for sure- for advertising purposes.
Example: I filled out a customer satisfaction survey for Jayco travel trailer I purchased, (it badly reflected on the quality of how RVs are made now). Next day in my google newsfeed showed up with an article of what dealers think of RV build quality.

SLight side track, just for giggles.
There was a documentary (netflix) on data collections of a well-known dating app. In it, this young lady had nearly 200 printed pages of data about her within only a few months using the dating app.
I see your point however I am old fashioned and think my data from my car belongs to me. I have the right to grant access and at will deny access. This seems like an issue for EFF (Electronic Freedom Foundation) to tackle. I know we can never go back to the 1960's view of privacy but the fight to keep control of your own information is just starting.

I am with you,
I could point you to a great podcast I've listened to recently where all this is explained. But I am too lazy to find it now.
I think it comes down to that you bought the car, it's yours, but the software is theirs.
I agree the software is theirs, but the data is mine. To use my data and to prevent me from seeing what they are monitoring is unacceptable. I understand the economic value of the data to GM but there has to be more show and tell.

If you live in CA, you can file a request for your data under the California Consumer Privacy Act. If you live in the EU, you can file a request under the General Data Protection Regulation. Other than that, you can contact your state legislator or member of Congress to advocate for similar privacy laws being passed.
I do live in California and I will do that. Hopefully the process is straight forward. It's my data from my car and I need to see what they are getting as a starting point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.