Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
241 - 260 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lol, I love posts like these. In another life, I was a firefighter for 6 years in a town that had a couple of major highways (I-5 and Hwy 99) running through the middle of town. Barely a month would ever go by without a car fire somewhere either on the highways or at someone's house. And yes, sometimes it burned up someone's garage or damaged adjacent stuff. By your logic, NO car is safe. With that said, the reality is that with some common sense actions, we can probably reduce or completely eliminate any more problems until Chevy gets these all fixed. I have virtually zero worries about safety. Honestly, the only concern I have is what the resale value will be when I go to sell it. I guess it's possible that with a brand new battery and warranty, it might offset some of the bad reputation, but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Back to the original post on this thread. Did we ever learn if this was a US or Korean battery? Do we know yet of the owner's charging habits?

·
Registered
704 Posts
"Did we ever learn if this was a US or Korean battery? Do we know yet of the owner's charging habits?"

Both factories according to GM releases.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Which is pretty strong evidence that they are unrelated.

Thank you kindly.
In addition, it’s been a little since they last raised their prices. So the previous claim of them raising their prices during the pandemic is a bit much.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
"The Model 3 now starts at $41,190 for the Standard Range Plus model"
WTF? It's $39,990. Oh wait... they're including the destination fee??? What BS is that? I've never seen an article about car prices include destination fees in the pricing unless they are specifically going into details on all costs and options. I checked C&D articles on the Bolt. Yup. Price listed is without destination fees.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
"Did we ever learn if this was a US or Korean battery? Do we know yet of the owner's charging habits?"

Both factories according to GM releases.
I meant specifically if the vehicle that started this thread was a US or Korean made battery.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2011 Cruze Eco MT
136 Posts
"The Model 3 now starts at $41,190 for the Standard Range Plus model"
WTF? It's $39,990. Oh wait... they're including the destination fee??? What BS is that? I've never seen an article about car prices include destination fees in the pricing unless they are specifically going into details on all costs and options. I checked C&D articles on the Bolt. Yup. Price listed is without destination fees.
I agree with you about the destination fee. Gotta compare apples to apples.

I would just add regarding Tesla, the price is for any color you want, as long as it's white, although it is a nice Pearl White. Add $1k-$2k for a different color. The Bolt offers 5 colors at no extra charge, one at $395, and another at $495.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I would just add regarding Tesla, the price is for any color you want, as long as it's white, although it is a nice Pearl White. Add $1k-$2k for a different color. The Bolt offers 5 colors at no extra charge, one at $395, and another at $495.
Very true. I just don't like the intentionally misleading stuff. Yeah, Tesla goes a little overboard on destination fee and color prices. But doesn't seem too overpriced for what you get, especially considering the SC network access. Nothing like Porsche or Mercedes or others where you are paying many, many thousands for a name.

Back to topic... Seems like we should have gotten more information on this fire by now. GM hushing things up?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Back to topic... Seems like we should have gotten more information on this fire by now. GM hushing things up?
Most public information on the various fires comes from news reports, directly from the customer (sometimes through @Sean Graham ), or from other information released to the public (e.g. salvage auction reports), although some has come from GM through recall reports on nhtsa.gov .

In this particular case, the only public information so far is from the fire department's web page, although various media outlets have reported the story referencing the fire department. There appear to be no other details beyond what came from the fire department. It does not appear that either the customer or GM has said anything publicly about it. The only other potential source of public information is likely the appearance of the car at a salvage auction web site.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
From some replies on FB groups, there was a reply along these lines about Sean:
"Sean is fine, but his real life has become overloaded with responsibilities. We all miss him very much. He just doesn't have the time or energy to participate in the group at this time. Thanks, everyone, for your concern about Sean. "

·
Registered
704 Posts
Why does Tesla charge more for white interior. Who wants to sit in a 150 degree seat in the middle of Texas summer? Might be fine in Montana.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree with you about the destination fee. Gotta compare apples to apples.

I'm used to the idea that the $495 or $595 are supposed to make my pea-brain think we're talking about 400 dollars or 500 dollars and forget the 95. I suppose that for Tesla's $1000 and @2000 for paint, my pea-brain is supposed to see all the little numbers and forget their position vis-a-vis the decimal point. Another amazing technological advance by Tesla.

241 - 260 of 308 Posts