·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Nice!

What do you think the next EV range milestone will be 300mi, 350mi?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It's trips like these more people need to see so that they can know you can actually take the Bolt on journeys. It is possible !!! comfort wise, was it good though?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Always a joy to read your blog entries! It's entries like these that motivates others to take trips outside of their comfort zones, so long as proper plans were made ahead of time. Road trips are so much cheaper compared to gas.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is what will really resonate and make a difference in peoples minds! Why is it that some people have been known to say that it's actually cheaper to use an ICE vehicle for the long trips though?

As far as charging costs go, I engaged in a total of 4.5 hours of fast charging at EVgo stations. Billed at 10 cents/minute, it cost me $27 in total charging costs for my 916 mile trip ($41.95 if you include the $14.95 monthly fee in the total).

To compare, a 30 MPG gas car would have needed almost $70 in gas to complete the same trip, assuming $2.20 for a regular gallon of gas.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is what will really resonate and make a difference in peoples minds! Why is it that some people have been known to say that it's actually cheaper to use an ICE vehicle for the long trips though?

As far as charging costs go, I engaged in a total of 4.5 hours of fast charging at EVgo stations. Billed at 10 cents/minute, it cost me $27 in total charging costs for my 916 mile trip ($41.95 if you include the $14.95 monthly fee in the total).

To compare, a 30 MPG gas car would have needed almost $70 in gas to complete the same trip, assuming $2.20 for a regular gallon of gas.
A 50 mpg gas car that can actually get 50 mph @70mph would have needed $41 in gas to make the same trip. Looking at strictly this trip's charging costs ($27), one would have been needing to drive a 75 mpg car for it to be cheaper.

Now where can someone buy a 75 mpg non plug-in gas car? ?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
As far as I know, the most fuel efficient car is probably the new Hyundai Ioniq hybrid and even that won't get you 75 mpg. $41.95 for a road trip is dirt cheap to me compared to a similar trip I made in a Ford Fusion, man that thing guzzled gas like no tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So I guess the only benefit to utilizing an ICE for a long trip is just the convenience of having to spend 5 minutes at a gas station opposed to 30 minutes to an hour at a charger.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I guess the only benefit to utilizing an ICE for a long trip is just the convenience of having to spend 5 minutes at a gas station opposed to 30 minutes to an hour at a charger.
That and a higher degree of confidence that when you get to the charging station (fuel pump) it will be working, and won't be blocked by another car spending 30 minutes to an hour charging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts