Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think the "every hundred miles" is up for debate. On a regular route, every hundred miles is about right, but for travelers coming from different places, with different degrees of empty batteries, I think every thirty miles, or even closer, might be useful. It also depends on how much of a margin is comfortable between refueling stops. Usually, I end up charging when my range left is at 40-90 miles. I once pushed it to 15 miles when driving home, but I had known backup chargers on the way.
I like the every 50 mile spacing, because I can leave one charger with 150 miles range, and drive 100 miles (skip one, go to the next) and if the one I stop at is not working I can still make it to the third one down the line... I don't have range anxiety at all, but I do have "will the charger be working" anxiety in spades!

I am currently charging at 6KW for 2 and a half hours instead of CCS for one hour because both my primary and backup chargers in Savannah GA are off line. Both of them are listed in their respective apps (Chargepoint, and Greenlots) as being available even though both companies know that the chargers are down for maintenance.

Later,

Keith

PS: Coming soon! My detailed report of my 2110 mile round trip vacation from fly over state charger wasteland (North East Arkansas) to Coco Beach Florida.

PPS: Coming soon! My analysis of several data logged DCFC sessions at various stations including 150 amp, 125 amp, and 100 amp. This will be in comparison to my thread on various charging sessions that is already in the battery and charging section.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
both my primary and backup chargers in Savannah GA are off line. Both of them are listed in their respective apps (Chargepoint, and Greenlots) as being available even though both companies know that the chargers are down for maintenance.
That's serious BS. If they know they're down, why the heck would the list them as okay??!?! Wow, that's frustrating.

·
Registered
755 Posts
That's serious BS. If they know they're down, why the heck would the list them as okay??!?! Wow, that's frustrating.
When I talked to greenlots, the woman I spoke with said she can't mark a charger as disabled on the app, even though her system shows it down for maintenance. She has to submit a request to have it's status updated on the app.

I didn't ask the Chargepoint guy because I was so frustrated with the "yeah, it has been having that problem all day" response that I didn't want to deal with it any more.

Keith

·
Registered
163 Posts
How is this planner supposed to work?
Merely putting in Las Vegas, NV to Albuquerque, NM and selecting actual locations from the drop down box, then selecting to 'plan route' gives 'no route found'.
And if I try adding waypoints, like Kingman, Flagstaff, Holbrook it still fails to give a route.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
How is this planner supposed to work?
Merely putting in Las Vegas, NV to Albuquerque, NM and selecting actual locations from the drop down box, then selecting to 'plan route' gives 'no route found'.
And if I try adding waypoints, like Kingman, Flagstaff, Holbrook it still fails to give a route.

What am I missing here?
You're probably not missing much, but I think it depends on what types of chargers you have inputted for searching. If something like A Better Route Planner set to look only for fast chargers, you're not really going to find much along that route.

Right now, that route is pretty neglected in terms of fast chargers. Even a number of Tesla models have difficulty making it without stopping at slower chargers for hours along that route. If you're going to take the Bolt EV, you'll need to plan to use primarily Level 2 AC and spend the night somewhere along the route. In fact, at this point, it's almost faster to drive up through Denver and drop back down into Albuquerque from the north, even though it's double the distance. That should change within the next year or so, but that doesn't really help you in the meantime.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Right now, that route is pretty neglected in terms of fast chargers. Even a number of Tesla models have difficulty making it without stopping at slower chargers for hours along that route.
I guess that is why it doesn't work for me. The charger selected is CCS.

I was just playing around with it to see what it would tell me.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts