Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen many images out there of the assembly plant.

This one is showing a battery being installed:

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is a video on the web (I believe the "gm-volt.com" site has it in one of their forums) that shows the Orion assembly plant in action. One Bolt EV is assembled after four Sonics on the same line, and the autonomous supply robots (no drivers!) moves the parts to the correct positions, be it a Sonic engine and transaxle or a Bolt EV battery.

I wish I could vist the assemply plant and see it for myself!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
And that is pretty much how it would have to be replaced, should that need ever arise.
That actually looks pretty simple, I know there's a lot of wiring needed and bolting it one, but it's not as complicated as I originally thought. Replacing a battery if needed shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm pretty sure there won't even be a lot of wiring. Just harnesses that can easily be removed and re-clipped on. We obviously wouldn't be able to DIY replace the battery lol but at least it doesn't look like a long process.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Here is the Orion assembly video!

There is a video on the web (I believe the "gm-volt.com" site has it in one of their forums) that shows the Orion assembly plant in action. One Bolt EV is assembled after four Sonics on the same line, and the autonomous supply robots (no drivers!) moves the parts to the correct positions, be it a Sonic engine and transaxle or a Bolt EV battery.
I am quoting myself because I found the video of the Orion assembly plant: https://techcrunch.com/video/techcrunch-visits-the-chevy-bolt-plant/5820724950954934a849f00f/

Enjoy!:)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not too worried about replacing the battery and cost involved. Looking at what will help, we should be getting a credit for the 'core' don't know how much that will be but eventually we'll have to start looking into these things to assess long-term ownership.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Unfortunately that video doesn't really gives us anything on the process, other than them coming down the line lol :(

·
Registered
505 Posts
At least the video above shows the details of cargo area, which I couldn't see at the SF Car Show because they didn't have it powered. What makes me wonder is why does the schedule for launching it seem to be sliding? Obviously the assembly line is working. Of course they may have limited supplies of some component, like can the Koreans manufacture the batteries fast enough. Since I am driving at patched up, but totaled Jetta, I am ready to buy one, once they appear in the show rooms. Does anybody know what the warranty on the battery will be like?

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Battery warranty is 8 years or 100K miles.

I was able to examine the cargo area of the Bolt at the SF Auto Show. What they didn't have was the false floor or the cargo cover in place. I was able to put the rear seats up and down to see what the effect was on space. Dunno why you weren't able to do so.

·
Super Moderator
2,558 Posts
At least the video above shows the details of cargo area, which I couldn't see at the SF Car Show because they didn't have it powered. What makes me wonder is why does the schedule for launching it seem to be sliding? Obviously the assembly line is working. Of course they may have limited supplies of some component, like can the Koreans manufacture the batteries fast enough. Since I am driving at patched up, but totaled Jetta, I am ready to buy one, once they appear in the show rooms. Does anybody know what the warranty on the battery will be like?
Other than internet gossip, how do you know that the launch is slipping? Cars are being delivered. They are on the way. In California the battery warrantee is mandated to be 10 years and I think 150,000 miles. I might be wrong on the mileage part.

·
Super Moderator
2,558 Posts
Battery warranty is 8 years or 100K miles.

I was able to examine the cargo area of the Bolt at the SF Auto Show. What they didn't have was the false floor or the cargo cover in place. I was able to put the rear seats up and down to see what the effect was on space. Dunno why you weren't able to do so.
I played with the cargo area too, but I was in LA. The car there was a Premium so it had the false cargo floor. To those that didn't get to see the cargo area, I can tell you it is good. The seats go flat and you don't have to remove the head rests to get them all the way down. It's plenty spacious which is really important to me. I carry a lot of stuff and this car will be a work car for me.

The false floor is one of only three options I'm going to get on my LT. I think it's worth it and it's simple to use. My only minor disappointment was the cargo area cover. It's neither a window shade type, nor is it the hard cardboard type. It's sort of a string bikini arrangement that stretches and is attached to the hatch. The good news is, when you don't want to use it, you can just wad it up and stuff it somewhere. It might actually be a good thing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone thinks that down the road we will see aftermarket warranties show up? This is going to be a massive market for it and from what I can see there's great potential for that just as there is aftermarket warranty for "regular" cars these days. Just seems the natural progression especially when we have things like this to replace... the battery.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back again with more production plant coverage which from what I can tell is new coverage (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts