Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We turned the A/C on yesterday for the first time. We took a long road trip and the temp was in the low 80s. The A/C kept the interior comfortable but compared to our ICE vehicles, the air coming out of the vents wasn't as cold and the fan stayed at a medium level, i.e. never dropped down to a low setting. My guess is that to increase efficiency, they purposely lower the cooling capability and keep the fan speed up as compared to an ICE vehicle.

Have others noticed similar operation in their Bolts?

Randy

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
If you want it colder, turn down the temperature knob. It will definitely freeze you out. We adjust temperature with the temperature knob, and set the fan speed with fan buttons. Have never owned a car that made decisions on its own, and never hope to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Setting at 72 and Auto seems to work perfectly in Florida, as the manual suggests. I admit this 72 comfort level compares to our SUV ICE of 74-75 setting.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Setting at 72 and Auto seems to work perfectly in Florida, as the manual suggests. I admit this 72 comfort level compares to our SUV ICE of 74-75 setting.
Yeah. I have no idea where the thermistor is that is used to maintain cabin temperature. Wherever it is, it can't take into account your direct exposure to sunlight, or heat loss near a freezing window surface. Only you know if you are comfortable.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Bolt EV's A/C is very precise in operation

The A/C kept the interior comfortable but compared to our ICE vehicles, the air coming out of the vents wasn't as cold and the fan stayed at a medium level, i.e. never dropped down to a low setting. My guess is that to increase efficiency, they purposely lower the cooling capability and keep the fan speed up as compared to an ICE vehicle.
I think its true that you don't feel a blast of super-cold air when you switch on the Bolt's A/C, but within a few minutes the temperature you want is reached very efficiently without that blast. My reading is that the A/C is very efficient, and only puts as much energy as is necessary to reach the right cabin temperature, rather than blasting super cold air no matter what the cabin temperature requested by the user. I have never felt that Bolt EV's A/C to be inadequate. Indeed, it seems to be very precise in operation, no matter what the outside temperature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, I'd say the interior temp was being kept where we had it set to (72), but compared to our ICE vehicles, the vent air was not as cold and the fan speed never dropped below a medium setting. I'm curious if others have noticed this or do we need to have our A/C checked.

Randy

·
Registered
783 Posts
Bolt EV's A/C is very precise in operation

Again, I'd say the interior temp was being kept where we had it set to (72), but compared to our ICE vehicles, the vent air was not as cold and the fan speed never dropped below a medium setting. I'm curious if others have noticed this or do we need to have our A/C checked.
Its not a problem. The A/C is better than your experience in the past. The initial temperature when you switch it on is a function of the existing temperature and the demand temperature. You do not see a blast of cold air every time it is switched on. Its temperature controlled in a very precise way.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Yeah. I have no idea where the thermistor is that is used to maintain cabin temperature. Wherever it is, it can't take into account your direct exposure to sunlight...
All the cars I've driven that have an automatic climate control system have a "sun load" sensor that knows when the sun is shining. Although it probably can't account for the difference when the sun is blasting directly onto you through the side window vs. not hitting you directly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.