Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or a string bass, upright bass, contrabass, bass fiddle, bull fiddle, whatever you want to call it.

I’m posting this (including all those name variants in the first sentence) because I really needed this info two months ago, when I was zeroing in on the Bolt as my EV of choice. Long searching of the internet yielded few results and no pictures.

I am a musician, and one of the instruments I play is double bass, as you can guess. Here are some pics of my complete rig loaded into my Bolt before a rehearsal this evening.

That’s a 3/4-size (which really means standard adult-size) bass in a Bobelock case with a Bass Buggy attached (the wheels). I’m also taking my own bar stool to sit on, my own music stand, a wooden stand to hold my bass upright when I’m not playing it, and my Gallien-Krueger M-150 amp.
Note that there is still space on the floor of the back seat. I may put that wooden stand down there if it fits.

It’s comfy. I can’t really rest my right arm on the console, but I can drive without any impediments. So yes, the Bolt is definitely double-bass sized!

1E111A9A-90EF-4280-B4D9-6710D43502F4.jpeg 85AEF441-5779-40D1-A28A-7CAF4B50317C.jpeg BD8A8566-57AF-41D4-B09D-ADB37EF9EAE5.jpeg 4F09128D-FB60-429E-8DD7-87A1A07817B3.jpeg E2743A7A-3618-42C2-A366-5F9271BD136E.jpeg

·
Registered
351 Posts
This was actually featured in a magazine article last year. A musician was featured who hauls his bass around in the back of the bolt.

My son’s 1/4 size bass (obviously smaller than yours) fits with only 2/3 of the rear seat folded down, so he sits back there next to it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is good to know. I have three doghouse basses in various states of repair. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get them to a repair shop (Or consignment sale shop- who really needs three basses?). Now I know!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is good to know. I have three doghouse basses in various states of repair. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get them to a repair shop (Or consignment sale shop- who really needs three basses?). Now I know!
One caveat: if you have a Bolt Premier, no worries at all; it will work fine.
My Bolt is an LT, which does not come standard with the fake cargo floor in the back. I had to order that extra and have it installed. (I probably could have saved money and installed it myself, actually.)

I found it on the GM parts website.

Can you have too many basses, really? 😁

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was in Chevrolet New Roads magazine. I get a subscription for having bought a Bolt.

Scroll about 2/3 of the way down to "Jazzed about the Bolt EV"

View attachment 27676
You know what? I actually did find this article online. What it was missing for me was more pictures of his bass in the car. I could see that he got the bass itself into the back, but not how far it extended into the front (e.g., headstock sitting on the dashboard or something?) or how much space was left for other equipment.

But this was indeed the piece that made me think it was possible.

I haven’t received this magazine (or emag) yet. I’ve had my Bolt for five and a half weeks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I get the magazine. It's not bad, slightly better than the Costco monthly magazine. Usually one good article every 3 issues. I'd recommend signing up for it if you don't get it. Worse case, it's kindling in your fireplace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts