Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I presume this is a joke, but just in case...

In D the car would "creep" forward faster than the car wash would pull it forward. No regen and you screw up the car wash.

Keith
Wasn't a joke, didn't know that little bit of drag would hurt the car wash. RTFM I guess...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m late to this discussion but just be sure: it’s okay to drive in L all the time? At high speeds for long distances?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I’m late to this discussion but just be sure: it’s okay to drive in L all the time? At high speeds for long distances?
No, most drivers can't use L all the time, sometimes they need to reverse.

What do you think would be harmed by using L at high speeds for long distances? (And, yes, you're late to the thread, but did you read it?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, most drivers can't use L all the time, sometimes they need to reverse.

What do you think would be harmed by using L at high speeds for long distances? (And, yes, you're late to the thread, but did you read it?)
I’m a new owner and found no info in the owners manual on this topic. Yeah, I read the whole thread of folks saying they prefer to use L all the time but no definitive sources saying it’s okay for the system. (I wouldn’t drive an ICE in low gear all the time, for example). No need to respond if it’s inconvenient, and no need for sarcasm and condescension.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I’m a new owner and found no info in the owners manual on this topic. Yeah, I read the whole thread of folks saying they prefer to use L all the time but no definitive sources saying it’s okay for the system. (I wouldn’t drive an ICE in low gear all the time, for example).
Gearing is not changed by putting the car in L.

Your question is a bit like having an ICE vehicle with “Eco/Normal/Sport” and asking if it is okay to drive all the time in Eco or Sport. You probably won't find anything in the manual telling you it's okay to do that all the time, but they probably don't also say that it's okay to buy a car and drive it in Seattle where it rains a lot. When there is a concern, they warn you about it, but when no concern exists, they can't list every possible worry and let you know it's okay.

No need to respond if it’s inconvenient, and no need for sarcasm and condescension.
True! FWIW, I wrote something a good deal harsher and then deleted it and wrote something that was supposed to be a bit kinder, but I guess I still failed. Sorry.

Fundamentally, it's our collective fault for not having a sticky post with commonly asked questions and their answers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nacho, "L" is a kind of funny letter to use for the regen mode, as previously stated by others, you're not putting the Bolt in "low." On the other hand, you certainly couldn't use "R" as the designated letter for the regen mode, so there you are!!

Rich

Oh, and for the record, I'm in "L" mode just about all the time I'm moving forward!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I started this post quite a while back, with the input of Eric Way, Uber drivers trying to max everything about their lives, and other people who realize the extreme, and right now, unusual software developed by GM. It is the microsecond to microsecond control of input vs output that cannot be beat by other mode combos. And it is the most effortless way to get there. The so called "L" is the only thing that other car makers envy. As this post ages, I see the question start up anew, daily, with every new Bolt owner. Again, I am sorry about the "L" label. It is a complete misnomer. But the answer is L all the time, in the city, on the highway, in cruise, out of cruise...it is always "L".

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nacho, "L" is a kind of funny letter to use for the regen mode, as previously stated by others, you're not putting the Bolt in "low."
However, for those who just want to drive the Bolt like any other car, L can be used to go down a long downhill without "riding the brakes", similar to how an L setting on an automatic transmission in other cars is supposed to be used. Of course, on a Bolt, "riding the brakes" lightly just gives some regeneration, rather than wearing out the brake pads and heating up the brake fluid, so the only difference is that the brake lamps are not lit when going down a hill in L without pressing the brake pedal (rather than continuously lit if going down "riding the brakes").

·
Registered
10 Posts
<snip> so the only difference is that the brake lamps are not lit when going down a hill in L without pressing the brake pedal (rather than continuously lit if going down "riding the brakes").
The brake lights on my 2019 come on if I take my foot off the accelerator in L. Light regen/feathering can keep the brake lights off... but at a certain deceleration (did I read 0.2 G somewhere?), the lights come on. That’s the first safety thing I checked.

The other safety discussion has been that the car will hold position in L and not creep... but the brake lights go out once the car is no longer slowing down enough. I believe I first heard this from one of Eric’s plug-side chats, and it’s a very valid point.

FWIW, my two young drivers will be learning to drive in D 100% of the time.

I need to know their emergency reaction includes jumping on the dedicated brake pedal for this, or any other car they use. That habit needs to be automatic before they can graduate to the (energy & maintenance superior) driving mode.

My concern would be they get in a situation where regen alone doesn’t save them, and they say “but I took my foot all the way off, and the car didn’t stop in time!”

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My concern would be they get in a situation where regen alone doesn’t save them, and they say “but I took my foot all the way off, and the car didn’t stop in time!”
My kid had an accident (car rolled back into a pole in a parking lot) when the engine died and had never experienced braking without power brakes.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts