Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the process of buying a used Chevy Bolt from a dealer. We had ours inspected by an independent garage and the only thing that came out that needed to be tended is a wire (the Red wire I'm pointing to) that was plugged on a fuse like in the picture bellow. The techs from the independent garage told us that the wire wasn't properly plugged. Now, the dealer says that the red wire is an add-on seeing as the car comes from the US and here in Canada they had to add day lights. They say that the wire is properly plugged and that, if I want to have it plugged in behind the panel so it's not visible, it will cost us 1 hour of work (and we haven't bought the car yet). This seems a bit fishy to me.

What can you tell me? Who is right, the independent garage or the dealer? Is the dealer trying to pull a fast one on me? Unfortunately, I know nothing about this, that's why I'm here. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd pull the fuse out and see how that wire is attached. See if the DRL's stop working when the wire is disconnected. If they go off, then you know the reason for the wire.

If the bare wire end is wrapped around the fuse blade, then that ain't right. They make "fuse taps" for this purpose. Adding one of those would be a better solution.

See links below for examples of a "fuse tap".

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
33 Posts
Day Lights? All Bolts have had LED DRL's and I presume they met Canadian standards. To see what this is for you would have to trace that red wire (and possibly the yellow one too) and see what it goes to. In the past I've kluged in accessories this way. It's not terrible but it is a klugey way to do it. It would be better to run it from the back of the block, or to spend the buck and a quarter for a piggyback terminal adapter. Once you know what has been added this is not necessarily a red flag, at least whoever did it know enough to fuse it.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
plugged on a fuse like in the picture bellow
Welcome to the forum. According to the owner's manual that's fuse 72 for Transmission range control module. Checked my car and it's a 5 amp fuse. So if it's still a 5 amp fuse, then it must not be actually running the lights. Maybe faking out some other module to keep the lights on.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Day Lights? All Bolts have had LED DRL's and I presume they met Canadian standards. To see what this is for you would have to trace that red wire (and possibly the yellow one too) and see what it goes to. In the past I've kluged in accessories this way. It's not terrible but it is a klugey way to do it. It would be better to run it from the back of the block, or to spend the buck and a quarter for a piggyback terminal adapter. Once you know what has been added this is not necessarily a red flag, at least whoever did it know enough to fuse it.
I agree. I'd say it's a good catch from the independent garage in that they caught something that can't necessarily be approved as safe without further investigation since it looks like an add-on. I too can't imagine the DRL's needed any enhancement since these cars are sold in Canada. I'd want to trace that wire to see where it goes and as pointed out, see if that small fuse is enough. If I was to do some sort of add-on, I doubt I'd use a fuse labelled transmission range control module. I'd try to use something less critical; maybe the pedestrian alert fuse or even better, just use your own inline fuse plug. Does the car have any add-ons you can see like interior LED strips? I know those are popular: LED strips on the kick panels that light up the floors. Gotta be something with relatively low current draw if it's parasitic on an existing 5A fuse. I wouldn't know without pulling the fuse and testing it, but is it on the correct side of the fuse? It may not be using the fuse at all if it's on the power side.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all for your inputs.

The car is still at the dealer and I don't have access to it. However, they are adamant that it's the DRL that were not there because the car comes from the US. If that fuse is actually the Transmission range control module, then isn't this a red flag?

We're supposed to the get the car in 2 days and I don't know whether to get the car and then make sure everything is fine by myself or keep asking the dealer to check all this even though they evidently don't want to put much effort into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the car have any add-ons you can see like interior LED strips? I know those are popular: LED strips on the kick panels that light up the floors. Gotta be something with relatively low current draw if it's parasitic on an existing 5A fuse.
I didn't see any LED strips when we tested the car. I actually do tend believe them when they say that it's for DRL because of this article:

Quote from the article:

“I went shopping for a Bolt. Did you know there is an eight month waiting list for that car in Canada? Meanwhile, down in the Excited States [sic], there is a surplus and the plant is on extended summer shutdown? What’s with that? Slap some French stickers on and reprogram the car for metric and DRLs [daytime running lights] et, voila, Canadian car. AND, none are available either for looking at or test drives.”
The used Bolt I'm trying to buy is a 2017 and it's from California originally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK. I'm supposed to talk to one of their techs tomorrow morning regarding this wire. What questions should I ask him?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would just say that the car did not pass inspection and they can fix it or you walk and spread the word regarding their business practices

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All right. So, I spoke to the car dealership manager who said that they tried to switch the DRL on according to the Canadian regulation by going in the ECU but it was not possible. He said that, if I want, they can plug the wire on another fuse. Should I ask them to do this? Should I ask them to do something else?

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is a diagram of that fuse panel in the Owners Manual. On my 2019 Bolt LT there are several fuse slots that are not being used. If you utilize one of those, it would be safer.

Also, make sure the wire is connected (with a fuse tap) to the COLD leg of the fuse. This is the leg that is actually protected by the fuse element.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a diagram of that fuse panel in the Owners Manual. On my 2019 Bolt LT there are several fuse slots that are not being used. If you utilize one of those, it would be safer.

Also, make sure the wire is connected (with a fuse tap) to the COLD leg of the fuse. This is the leg that is actually protected by the fuse element.
This is very helpful. I just wrote to them that this is how I want the wire to be plugged. They replied that a circuit which is hot on ignition is required and I asked them to use an unused one.

After a lot of Google searching, it appears that Canadian specific vehicles use the low beam headlights as DRLs, and they can not be turned off.
That's correct. Here in Canada, federal regulations stipulate that the DRLs cannot be turned off, unless the car is in P (Park).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All right. So, after pushing for several days and having spoken to one of the bosses there, they re-wired the fuse box and now it looks like this.

To me, it's a big improvement. They used an unused fuse slot and they also used a fuse tap.
-6471539601308696079.jpg

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
After a lot of Google searching, it appears that Canadian specific vehicles use the low beam headlights as DRLs, and they can not be turned off.
My Canadian Bolt uses the LED strip as the DRL. My old camper van, built in 1993, uses the high beams as DRLs by connecting them in series so that they're dimmer than normal. At least I assume that's how they get them to be dimmer...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts