Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Maryland gas station became the first EV charging station in the US that converted from selling oil — here's how it's doing

• RS Automotives, a gas station in Takoma Park, Maryland, has switched its petroleum pumps out for electric vehicle chargers.
  • The station received a grant of $786,000 from the Electric Vehicle Institute and the Maryland Energy Administration, CNBC reported.
  • An 80% charge, which will take 20 to 30 minutes, will cost about $5.10, the Washington Post reported.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
There wasn't really much more info in that story than the first one; at least not enough to warrant another thread on this.

About four to five EV drivers stop by to charge at the station on a daily basis,
At $5 per charge, they're grossing $20 per day on the operation. That's $600/mo. That won't even cover the demand charge for their 200kW service... and it only cost an upfront $800,000 to lose money every month.

The original thread is here if there's any reason to comment that hasn't already been discussed:

First Gas Station in US to Ditch Pumping Gas, Fully Converts to EV Charging

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There wasn't really much more info in that story than the first one; at least not enough to warrant another thread on this.

At $5 per charge, they're grossing $20 per day on the operation. That's $600/mo. That won't even cover the demand charge for their 200kW service... and it only cost an upfront cost of $800,000 to lose money every month.

The original thread is here if there's any reason to comment that hasn't already been discussed:

First Gas Station in US to Ditch Pumping Gas, Fully Converts to EV Charging
Ah, missed the first one. Yahoo touted it as breaking news and I fell for it. :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I for one would love to open up a string of them from coast to coast. I'll take that grant, and I read that after all was said and done from all the 'little' grants that also existed that he got a lot more, over a million, in money. So, for my deployment, I'll take the grant, finance the rest. I'll open 50 of them. I want the grant money for each. This is 'Merica and thank you California for spearheading the best bankruptcy laws that the rest of the country has adopted because I'm going to bend the banks over like Hookers at the Marine Ball in Quantico (Yes, I've been to the Marine Ball at Quantico). Where would this country be without bankruptcy, which is where this gas station is headed as well. Many of the richest people in the world got their money on the back of failed companies. I lived in an apartment building in NYC, owned by a prominent businessman who became commander in chief, it went into foreclosure twice in less than 10 years. The name of the holding company changed 3 times, but it magically it was always owned by the same guy, just a different tree of ownership. It was AMAZING to watch the system work.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Apologies to Jcray if I came across rudely. I see they are a member for only 3 months and the topic came up 4 months ago in the other thread. Then there's the fact that search isn't always the most useful tool.

Anyhow, I'm critical of how this was accomplished because I want to see EV charging grow in a way that makes economic (lasting) sense. It sounds like the only smart business decision this guy (or was it his economic genius 17 year old daughter) has made was to accept a continuation of loosing money on his business, but this time on someone else's tab.

Instead of VW punitive money being wasted on private owner charging stations, which will do zero to accelerate the EV transition, they could have done anything else with it. I like the idea of transitioning school buses to EV since those are the perfect use case. These buses travel relatively little distance and have ample opportunity to charge when not in use. They have huge maintenance costs which could be reduced by the less complex and higher reliability of electric systems. They burn diesel and pollute around children. I'd rather see VW money spent on a project like that, then converting a petrol station that was going under anyhow, into a soon-to-fail EV charging point. Once the charging station goes under, it will be exhibit C for the anti-EV crowd to point to as evidence that EVs suck. It will be a net setback to the cause of EVs as a result.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts