Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
I also wonder about the data sources. I mean, the Bolt has many sensors on board. Any self-driving software should take advantage of that, if it has access to the data.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Would be better if he showed both hands and a car video of him not touching the wheel ;)

And to be clear this is Just for steering, not auto pilot with pedals as well

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't think that "thing" on the dashboard is a phone, strictly speaking. It does talk quite a bit to the car, although I'm not sure what sensors it uses. There's a whole web site. comma.ai – Introducing openpilot
If it is driving the car, it is at least sending commands to the drive train and steering mechanisms. I guess I was asking if it taps into sensors used by LKA, following distance, pedestrian alert, etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is driving the car, it is at least sending commands to the drive train and steering mechanisms. I guess I was asking if it taps into sensors used by LKA, following distance, pedestrian alert, etc.
Yeah, right... um.. I'm not sure it reads the LKA sensors or the following distance stuff as there are older implementations on the Bolt that make those features went away when you used the OpenPilot. I think with his new board, he was able to get those features back, which is to say, the old way disconnected them from the car and it ran without them. So, probably ignored?

I'm inclined to do another readover of OpenPilot 2019 Chevy Bolt Port

·
Registered
27 Posts
Of course the video was mostly on straight road, and while it seems to work WAY better than the standard lane keep assist, I wonder how much ability the existing hardware has to turn the car. If the road turns, can this follow it? (LKA certainly can not!)

·
Registered
134 Posts
It would be great to have the opportunity to try the new board out. I have also driven a 2018 LEAF and the stock SV model Pro-Pilot would track a fairly curvy road at over 60 mph though it would also ping pong between the lines on straight stretches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, thanks @Pigwich for posting this!

The "camera" is called an EON - it is sold by comma.ai. It runs a custom version of android with computer vision and neural networks and stuff to be able to identify lane markers and keep you nicely centered in your lane.

Using this board and my fork of OpenPilot fully enables lateral (steering) control.
It sits between the front facing camera and the car, and selectively filters out the car's stock Lane Keep Assist (LKAS) while passing through all other messages. Forward collision avoidance (both vehicle and pedestrian) still work. Following distance, blind-spot, auto headlights - everything still works. Also when OpenPilot is not engaged, the stock LKAS is passed through.

In other words, while this is attached, until you activate OP the car behaves stock.

When OP is enabled, the stock LKAS messages are blocked and OP generates them.

I will try to get a more thorough video up - with some curves.

Thanks!
-Jason

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does the Bolt LKA steering actuator actually have the capability to turn the wheel from lock to lock?

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is great stuff! Whenever you are at the point where you can offer a kit with camera, Panda, cables, etc., I'm a customer! Or if you need help testing. ;) I also have a 3D printer and I could see ABS printing a plastic box to hold the Panda.

Edit: just thought of something. If this is hooked up, what if you want to use the regular cruise control? Can you make it so you have to tap "Set" twice to activate OP? And if you grab the wheel and turn it while OP is running, will OP shut off?

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great
This is great stuff! Whenever you are at the point where you can offer a kit with camera, Panda, cables, etc., I'm a customer! Or if you need help testing. ;) I also have a 3D printer and I could see ABS printing a plastic box to hold the Panda.

Edit: just thought of something. If this is hooked up, what if you want to use the regular cruise control? Can you make it so you have to tap "Set" twice to activate OP? And if you grab the wheel and turn it while OP is running, will OP shut off?

Mike
Great question. I was thinking of some options for that. Double tap might work. Also if I am able to determine the state of the stock LKAS maybe OP only engages if it is turned off.

I will explore, thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure I'd consider this comma.ai setup... but this is a true self driving Bolt.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Any improvement in ease of install? Would love to have self driving on my Bolt in about 6 months. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts