Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't even remember exactly when or where I was the only time I saw, and got to sit in, an EV1, but the interior layout and dash made a big impression on me. I'm pretty sure it was before I could drive, so thinking 1994-1995, but could of been as late as 1998. It was probably an auto show in Los Angeles. My wife doesn't believe me when I said I've wanted an electric car since the 90's.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
What strikes me about the image is the lack of grill. The current fad is enormous grills, with part of it being faux to give the impression that it's bigger than it actually is.

I look forward to when no grill, or a very minimal one is the fad (Tesla has a minimal grill). Not sure how the EV1 provided air conditioning considering the lack of a grill.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What strikes me about the image is the lack of grill. The current fad is enormous grills, with part of it being faux to give the impression that it's bigger than it actually is.

I look forward to when no grill, or a very minimal one is the fad (Tesla has a minimal grill). Not sure how the EV1 provided air conditioning considering the lack of a grill.
You can look backward to find minimal grill cars. See the 1988 and 1992 generation Honda Civics.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There was a time (late 80s-early 90s) when the style was low and sleek. Car designers went out of their way to minimize the grill. Look at any sports car from the era (not muscle car). Today, the style is large-and-in-charge. They go out of their way to maximize the grill. I personally hate it. I miss the low and sleek coupes. If someone built an affordable (<$40k) EV in this form factor (2 door coupe), I would buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Something that may interest EV1 fans.
Haven't watched it yet so unsure of his opinion but he should be credible.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sandy Munro on a recent Third Row podcast (that also featured Elon) mentioned he was also involved on the EV1 project.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There was a time (late 80s-early 90s) when the style was low and sleek. Car designers went out of their way to minimize the grill. Look at any sports car from the era (not muscle car). Today, the style is large-and-in-charge. They go out of their way to maximize the grill. I personally hate it. I miss the low and sleek coupes. If someone built an affordable (<$40k) EV in this form factor (2 door coupe), I would buy it in a heartbeat.
I agree about the large grille looking bad. I always liked the front-end of my ‘97 Taurus wagon ... very clean-looking with just the subtle oval for air intake ... otherwise almost completely flush and filled in headlight to headlight !

Contrast this with GMC vehicles like the Terrain and Acadia where GM has to give them oversized “truck” grilles.

I get it : GM builds the same vehicle twice in two different skins ... one more car-like, the other more truck-like, but I think the super-huge grilles are best left to the real trucks, and not the cars or SUVs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
But still, GM gives us a Bolt EV, with no heat pump. Is that because a heat pump adds more weight and cost to the vehicle; without solving heating issues at real cold temperatures ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts