Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it too hard to engineer Blended Brakes like most other Hybrids and EV's have them?
Yeah, I wasn't aware that the Model 3 didn't have this seemingly-obvious function. My Kona EV, which is technically very much like a Bolt, has this of course. But I noticed that the master cylinder which includes most of the parts, costs around $2.5k to replace, twice the price of the even the gear reducer. A good reason to maintain the brake fluid I suppose.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My point exactly!
Only I think you meant 'Low' setting in the regen option, which is now a thing of the past. You MUST drive '1 Pedal' in a new Tesla now.

Is it too hard to engineer Blended Brakes like most other Hybrids and EV's have them?
Other manufacturers give you the option of not making heat with the Brakes,
and not forcing constant '1 Pedal' operation to get Regen.
With my driving style in the Bolt (L mode, regen paddle if I need a bit more) I never use the brake pedal unless it is an emergency... so the Tesla strong regen only and lack of blended brakes make no difference for me... but I do wish I could reduce the regen in the Tesla in winter driving conditions.

One plus I can't believe I forgot to mention! Model 3 and Model Y seats blow the Bolt seats out of the water... and I am one of the weird people who don't hate the early Bolt seats.

Keith

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've never completely understood that, at least if they have never even owned a Bolt in the past. And especially if they are not now, and never have been, fans of the Bolt.

This is only my 4th car specific forum in over 20 years. In each case, I ended up owning, and being a fan of, the car represented. And once I no longer owned it, I moved on.
There are Tesla "fanboy" types that lurk on other car forums to counter any anti Tesla statement. The fanboy phenomenon was displayed the most to me when I attended "Fully charged live 2020" in Feb of 2020 in Austin Texas while driving the Bolt... you would have thought I was driving a Diesel Truck with the emissions equipment removed from the reactions I received from some (not all) of the Tesla owners. They had panel discussions where they portrayed as fact that within 10 years Tesla would be the only car manufacturer in America and it was our duty to drive the legacy auto makers out of business. When that panel was talking, any question about Ford, Chevy or anyone else making electric cars was met with derision and contempt.

Keith

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
When that panel was talking, any question about Ford, Chevy or anyone else making electric cars was met with derision and contempt. Keith
The members here who've owned both are among the few Teslerati who've actually driven a Bolt.

And most here can balance the many Tesla virtues while still appreciating the many Bolt virtues. JMHO, but the Bolt is the far superior appliance for everyday around-town commutes and errands; especially if there are several in-and-out stops. For road trips, the Tesla is the only currently available car to consider.

jack vines

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,624 Posts
... Tesla’s use an aggressive one pedal braking so brakes last for a long time compared to ICE cars. In the last three years I have a $43 maintenance cost for the Model cabin air filter. ...
Is that your total maintenance costs?
According to the M3 maintenance schedule linked above ^, "yearly or every 12.5k mi. Brake Caliper Cleaning and Lubing" is required. What is the cost of this service?
I suspect they are talking about the Caliper Slider Pins.

Do you live in salt country?
This is the one item that went bad on several of my cars, including one EV.
A rusty slider pin will slowly lead to worn pads and may require a caliper replacement if it's really locked up.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Do you live in salt country?
This is the one item that went bad on several of my cars, including one EV.
A rusty slider pin will slowly lead to worn pads and may require a caliper replacement if it's really locked up.
There's salt country and then there's humid northern-tier-east-of-the-Rockies-east-of-the-Mississippi country. Here in the dry intermountain west, many cities use liquid magnesium chloride as a de-icer, but the brakes don't rust anything as much as those in the northeast, as we're dry nine months of the year.

jack vines

·
Registered
843 Posts
The members here who've owned both are among the few Teslerati who've actually driven a Bolt.

And most here can balance the many Tesla virtues while still appreciating the many Bolt virtues. JMHO, but the Bolt is the far superior appliance for everyday around-town commutes and errands; especially if there are several in-and-out stops. For road trips, the Tesla is the only currently available car to consider.

jack vines
Jack you have it exactly right. Love my Bolt, drove it from Cape Cod to AZ a couple of years ago. It was an adventure...

Drove our Tesla Y to and from Cape Cod and AZ (once each direction). As far as charging the car during our road trip, yawn.

Rich

·
Registered
634 Posts
Not sure where you got that from. For any car, especially a luxury car, Tesla has one of the lowest maintenance costs. Tesla doesn't even adhere to a schedule rather than just address issues as they arise.
And yes, I'm a Tesla fan that doesn't own a Bolt but I don't make up false criticism of a car I don't own.
I got it from an episode of Rich Rebuilds I believe or one of the sites that cover Tesla. Feel free to look for it. Are you a Tesla fan, or an owner of one for several years? Whatever the schedule states it is important for someone looking at an expensive car purchase to research possible real world issues if low maint. and possible reliability issues are a concern so I was mentioning that to the OP (not anyone else here) because that was the intent of the post. I'd say the same thing about the Bolt or any car I've owned if it has abnormal costs. I'll say our 2010 Mazda 5 had rear strut issues but I doubt it matters to the OP. Tesla fans can be fanatics so many of them might downplay problems.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
561 Posts

jack vines
I agree with your first point Jack, the Bolt is the best every day around town appliance I have ever owned too.

For road trips, I find driving the Bolt is an adventure. I could see that the M3 could be less of one. The Bolts works well enough. It's the lack of DCFC density that causes me angst at times. I don't mind the charge times. It helps enforce the good idea to take longer breaks.

I actually like the Bolt seats, so I have a hard time understanding that complaint. I would not even consider any other EV. Tesla has too many "design flaws" that rub me the wrong way and all of the other brands lack experience.

The fact that the Bolt is faster off the line than most other hot hatches make for a lot of fun too. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with your first point Jack, the Bolt is the best every day around town appliance I have ever owned too.
Totally agree. My wife drives it everyday to work(80 mile RT), and is noticeably disappointed to drive anything else. We also choose the Bolt for nearly everywhere we go after work.

JMHO, but the Bolt is the far superior appliance for everyday around-town commutes and errands; especially if there are several in-and-out stops. For road trips, the Tesla is the only currently available car to consider.

Agree with this. The only thing I would want a Tesla for is long trips(over 500 miles/day). If money was not an issue I would likely have both.

Edit: ok, lets be honest, if money wasn't the issue it would be Taycan not Tesla.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Two years ago, at the start of covid, I had to move out from an apartment I rented back to the house I had. Because there were no moving crew available and I didn’t want to just send the furniture into a cube and store it 240 km from home, I decided to use my Bolt EV to do it. And guess what ? It did it like a pro ! The whole one bedroom apartment furniture I transported it in 3 round trips. A full twin size bed with underneath storage I was able to transport in my Bolt EV without having the hatch open. Yes, I disassembled it but it fit ! With a Tesla I would never have been able to do this.
And by the way, I am not sure why the fanboys mention the seats of the Bolt EV and forget to mention the lack of heated steering wheal on Tesla ? That’s a no go for XXI century

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,624 Posts
Edit: ok, lets be honest, if money wasn't the issue it would be Taycan not Tesla.
Ha, love it!
Isn't the Taycan the current EV Cannonball champ?

Reactions: E-nigma

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
561 Posts
My wife and I own a 2019 Bolt and we are very pleased with it, except of course with the battery recall. The Bolt is basically my wife's car, though I drive it whenever I get a chance, and I have a Subaru WRX. Well, I'm thinking of getting rid of my WRX and buying a new Tesla Model 3 long range model. I'd like to ask those in the forum who also own a Tesla model 3 to share with me any information they think I should consider before I finalize my purchase. And just to share something that has surprised me, used Teslas are selling more than used ones with 20k miles and two years old than brand new ones! I guess people are willing to spend several thousand dollars more for the used Tesla in order to get it immediately than to order a new one and wait three months and pay several thousand dollars less!
I don't have a Tesla. My second car is a Camaro SS. Manual transmission. I like to actually drive a car. I would keep the WRX. No help I guess but don't get too carried away.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Totally agree. My wife drives it everyday to work(80 mile RT), and is noticeably disappointed to drive anything else. We also choose the Bolt for nearly everywhere we go after work.
Same here. When we got the Bolt, our ICE was never driven; the battery died from vampire drain. I knew I should have put it on a trickle charger, but just kept forgetting it.

The first EV in our extended family was a leased BMW i3. There were two other ICE BMWs in the household, but they fought over who got the i3 and by the end of the lease had to restrict the mileage or pay a big penalty.

The i3 was replaced with an M3, but they learned their lesson and bought it, so as to not sweat the miles.

jack vines

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
133 Posts
What do you consider to be a "road trip"? I've driven our Bolt from Portland (OR) to Vancouver (BC), and it was probably within 30 minutes or so of when I've driven in our ICE vehicle - or how I would do in a Tesla. That's keeping in mind that I will NOT drive straight thru under any circumstances - except maybe a zombie apocalypse or similar. I want and need breaks to stretch my legs, bathroom stops, food, etc...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Probably because they've added heated steering wheel.
On 2021 model maybe. While the Bolt EV 2021-2022 has no longer the seat problem either. And if we look at Bolt EUV it has something that the Tesla doesn’t - ventilated seats. Again, when it’s about the Bolt, it’s 2017, when it’s Tesla, it’s 2021 model. Gotcha !
The only advantage the Tesla has are the Superchargers IMO. For the rest, here, in Canada, where almost all the DCFC stations are 50 kW/125 A, the Bolt EV has nothing to envy about any other BEV, Tesla included.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Again, when it’s about the Bolt, it’s 2017, when it’s Tesla, it’s 2021 model. Gotcha !
I don't think you want to play a "firsts" game against Tesla. Stick with the value comparisons. They did lag with the steering wheel but I think that pales in comparison to manual seat adjustment. P.S. Ventilated seats are finally coming to 3's.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am not playing “first”, I am only stating the facts. It took 7 years to Tesla to have a heated steering wheel. And a luxury car without a heated steering wheel is an oddity IMO in the 2022.
P.S. Don’t take it personal, I do like to tease you about Tesla

61 - 80 of 121 Posts