Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
I own a Model 3, will have had it for two years in March and it has around 10k miles on it. With COVID it obviously hasn't been driven a lot compared to life a few years ago. Also my kids are now able to drive themselves so there hasn't been as much carting them around which has resulted in lower miles.

Keep in mind my comments below are from someone in the midwest, not the coasts or way up north.

As for maintenance on the Tesla, nothing. Really, it has never been back to Tesla and this isn't due to neglect. So I can't comment on having to deal with their service department. From what I've heard my local KC department is pretty good.

I don't believe the accusations of a Tesla needing more service than an ICE or any other electric vehicle. You do need to be cognizant of the brakes if you live in an area with heavy salt use, but that is true for any EV. After a storm I wash off the brakes on all my cars.

My car was fine from a fit and finish standpoint and is till fine today. Same with the Bolt. The Model 3 does live a rather sheltered life, but the same life as my Bolt and both cars are fine.

My Bolt is about 6 months older than my Model 3 and my battery degradation is similar for both cars. Teslas seem to lose about 5% in the first year and then maybe 1% each year after that. I'm in line with that. Of course your driving and charging habits will also affect this.

For running around town, I much prefer the Bolt. It is smaller, easier to maneuver, and is inconspicuous. For trips on the highway the Model 3 is much better. It is far more efficient. But that doesn't mean you'll get 330 miles on the highway at 70 mph.

The Supercharger network makes it easy. Put in your destination and you'll see how much charge you'll end up with and where to stop. You'll see how many open spots are at the Supercharger and what speed it is. It just works and it is easy (at least in KS, I can't speak for the east or west coast.) Pull up, back up, and plug in. Simple.

My Bolt is a Premier so I have the 360 degree camera and love it. Tesla does have the side and rear view cameras, but they aren't as nice as a 360 setup like the Bolt and Leaf have. I wish the Model 3 had a surround view camera. The cross traffic alert on the Bolt is also nice when backing up with the Bolt. I also like the adaptive volume on the Bolt. My 2013 Odyssey also had this and I can't believe Tesla doesn't have it. You'll be driving on the highway and exit and the radio is too loud. Yeah, maybe a nitpicking complaint, but it is something I got used to on my last two cars and not having it on a $50k+ vehicle seems strange.

I don't have Full Self Driving and really don't want it. For how I use the car it would be a waste. The standard Autopilot is very good in my opinion. Yeah, it has its weird moments but you should be paying attention anyway.

I use Android Auto with my Bolt and I don't have an iPhone. I don't find the lack of Android Auto on the Tesla to be a problem. I find Tesla's entertainment, navigation, and general layout to be fine. It does what I want with no complaints.

Edit: as discussed later my car may have regen options that aren't available on new models. So take that into consideration regarding the following comments on regen:
As for regen, Standard regen feels very similar to the Bolt in L mode. Low regen is more like D mode in the Bolt or more like an ICE with an automatic transmission. Despite what has been said, you do have a choice over how much regen, you just don't have a paddle to change it immediately. You can select for the car to hold, creep, or roll when at a stop. I don't find it hard to switch between the cars. However, the brakes on the Model 3 do not blend like on the Bolt. I.e. if you use the brakes, you get brakes, not more regen and then brakes like with the Bolt. But honestly, if I need to use the brakes it is due to a panic stop or weird occurrance, same as with the Bolt. Bottom line, regen feels very similar between the cars depending on how you set it up and prefer it in each vehicle. I find complaints about the differences to be overblown. Both cars drive and behave very similarly with respect to regen if you set them up correctly.

Software updates can be a double edged sword as things can change as people have mentioned. But in the end I'd rather have them than not. My car does many, many things today that it did not do when we bought it 1.75 years ago. New features and also fixes that cost me nothing extra and happened as the car sat in my garage. Yes, occasionally things move around and change, but I'll gladly take it as I find the plusses to far outweigh the minuses.

Buying my Model 3 was a cakewalk compared to buying the Bolt. I had an excruciating dealer experience with the Bolt. With the Model 3 I was told when the car would arrive and my wife and I went and picked it up. Took about 30 minutes compared to literally all day with the Bolt.

If you've already owned an EV, don't expect a Tesla to be earth shattering. You're already used to an EV's benefits.

You'll find horror stories for both vehicles and brands. People on a Tesla forum would find what I'm still going through with my Bolt's battery to be unacceptable and a nightmare. Although I certainly don't like it, I like my Bolt and I'm willing to deal with it. And you'll find delivery and ordering stories with Tesla that would make my Bolt purchase seem like a cakewalk. You'll find people frustrated with getting things fixed with Tesla, and you'll find frustrations dealing with Chevy dealers.

For the cost difference between the two cars you have to decide if a Model 3 is worth it. There's a reason I don't own two Model 3s, that's because it wouldn't be worth it as a replacement for the Bolt and how I use it. In the end, I like both cars and they've both been a great experience. They are just different and fill different needs. I'm glad I'm able to own both because neither car alone would do everything I'd want it to.
Similar story - we have my original 2017 base Bolt (168k - just got new battery) as well as a 2017 Premier our 17 YOA daughter drives - I appreciate the additional safety features of the Premier

In addition, I inherited a 2020 M3 in June and have put 15k miles on it in the 6 months. The SC network is the cat's A$$ on long trips - I've made three 3k mile round trips aboard the M3 and there is simply no comparing the experience with attempting to drive a Bolt cross country.

For the record, I did run the Bolt on a 3k mile round trip from FL to MA in 2019 and along the way captured 1st place in the league table for most miles in a 24h day at the site Boltstats...that said, I'll NEVER do THAT again!

I agree that the Bolt is simpler and more versatile for daily local driving - the M3 "notchback" configuration doesn't accommodate cargo nearly as well as the true hatchback Bolt.

I agree that excess vampire / phantom drain is an issue with the M3 - even with the obvious items off / minimized, I lose 1-2% per day short term, although that does seem to drop off during longer periods of non-use.

I agree that what passes for "Full Self Driving" is pretty much worthless at this point - I subscribed for a month at $99 out of curiosity but did not renew.

I have driven 280+ miles between charges aboard the M3 on freeways (2020 official range is 310 mi, I think). I have the tires aired up pretty tight and use the adaptive cruise control to "autodraft" big trucks to stretch range

·
Registered
262 Posts
So basically you MUST keep your right foot planted and working for the entire trip.
"No Coast for you."
And someone up thread complained about the basic CC on a Tesla.
I can see how it's cheaper for Tesla. The Brakes are just old school Brakes... :(

I like the Bolt driven in D. I have the option of 'Coasting', relaxing my right foot for a while! And using the Variable Regen/Brake Pedal.

And the option of '1 Pedal' with a quick tap of the shifter, unseen.
No poking and hoping at the center display.
"Hold Mode" in my 2020 M3 works quite similarly to the Bolt "L mode", although I do miss the paddle amplifier.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I hate the fanboys as much as you, but a Tesla Y could have moved you just fine just like the Bolt, and my 2021 Y has a heated steering wheel. Since the OP's question was about a model 3, yes it is not as suitable for moving as a Bolt.

Keith
Agreed, but the Tesla Y is available since last year only … for almost double the price of the Bolt EV, here in Canada. I don’t say I wouldn’t like one, it’s just that especially nowadays, with covid around, doing about 3 miles a day (working from home) I don’t see why I would buy a new Bolt EV, not even talking about a Y.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The members here who've owned both are among the few Teslerati who've actually driven a Bolt.

And most here can balance the many Tesla virtues while still appreciating the many Bolt virtues. JMHO, but the Bolt is the far superior appliance for everyday around-town commutes and errands; especially if there are several in-and-out stops. For road trips, the Tesla is the only currently available car to consider.

jack vines
As an owner of both I agree - you've summed it up nicely - Bolt is superior for local travel, but Tesla's seamless and ubiquitous SC network and charge rates make it the only EV worth driving long haul.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Agreed, but the Tesla Y is available since last year only … for almost double the price of the Bolt EV, here in Canada. I don’t say I wouldn’t like one, it’s just that especially nowadays, with covid around, doing about 3 miles a day (working from home) I don’t see why I would buy a new Bolt EV, not even talking about a Y.
Absolutely, I don't understand why someone would pay the premium price of a Tesla if they don't do road trips. I've heard of some owners that have never supercharged. Not that the SuC is the only advantage but for local trips, outside of using Autopilot in traffic, the differences between a Bolt, Leaf, Tesla just aren't that big.
One caveat, if performance is a bigger priority, then it makes sense.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm 80+% sure an MY is sometime in my future, especially if it gets the upcoming 4680 batteries and a range increase. I want something more roomy in the back and ability to tow.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'm 80+% sure an MY is sometime in my future, especially if it gets the upcoming 4680 batteries and a range increase. I want something more roomy in the back and ability to tow.
Spec-wise, the MY would best fit our needs; I keep trying to learn to like the MY looks, but thus far, not happening. The Bolt is sufficiently hatchback generic, it doesn't bother me. The MY, especially in base white, just hurts my eyes.

jack vines

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Bolt does a few things better, blind spot monitoring, the camera rear view mirror and ..... I think that's it.
For blind spot, I like this couple's project, which adds a DIC to the mY/m3:
Automotive mirror Bumper Rear-view mirror Personal luxury car Peripheral

The blindspot alerts show-up as red lines on the right/left edges of the DIC:
Font Screenshot Rectangle Circle Number

From what I've read, and our test drives of Teslas, things the Bolt does better:
  • maintaining your car out-of-warranty isn't too scary
  • cruise control works on snow covered rural highways
  • windshield wiper stalk
  • some parts are cheap and easy to buy
  • great auto-highbeams
  • surround-view for parallel parking
  • camera rear-view
  • useful GOM (high/mid/low range estimate plus trend bars)
  • very low vampire drain when parked for days
  • nobody notices your car

Reasons we sold our gas van and ordered a model Y:
  • can charge it lots more places (this x100)
  • holds more stuff (for camping and music gigs)
  • can tow our popup

We're concerned about some possible drawbacks with the Tesla. But we feel that if we don't like it, we can probably sell it for a good price in a few years, and get something else (maybe an off-lease Ioniq5 with V2L). Even if it costs $10k too much, if we can get that back out of it in 3 years, then it's all good.

·
Registered
2020 Premier
175 Posts
we can probably sell it for a good price in a few years,
That is certainly true today, but I would not be surprised if it was less true after Teslas are all shipping with the 4680 battery and structural battery pack, especially if they offer a long long range 3/Y.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Absolutely, I don't understand why someone would pay the premium price of a Tesla if they don't do road trips. I've heard of some owners that have never supercharged. Not that the SuC is the only advantage but for local trips, outside of using Autopilot in traffic, the differences between a Bolt, Leaf, Tesla just aren't that big.
One caveat, if performance is a bigger priority, then it makes sense.
Personally I don't see why anyone not doing road trips needs a long range EV at all. For me the Bolt is now overkill when paired with the Tesla... I would be fine with something with a 30 kWh battery in place of the Bolt... but it is not financially sensible to sell the Bolt and buy something different... especially since we love the Bolt for it's other great characteristics and would not gain much if anything financially by switching vehicles.

Keith

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Personally I don't see why anyone not doing road trips needs a long range EV at all.
Two words: Range Anxiety

If my wife drove to work and then her Mom's house and back, about 80 miles, and the meter dropped below 40%, she would start worrying. Her freak-out meter would start to kick in around 30%.
Although she may be a little better than that after some experience riding with me in the Bolt.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
561 Posts
Personally I don't see why anyone not doing road trips needs a long range EV at all. For me the Bolt is now overkill when paired with the Tesla... I would be fine with something with a 30 kWh battery in place of the Bolt... but it is not financially sensible to sell the Bolt and buy something different... especially since we love the Bolt for it's other great characteristics and would not gain much if anything financially by switching vehicles.

Keith
I only do a small number of really long trips, so it does not bother me having an ICE for that as well as more performance-oriented driving. I too think the Bolt is overkill for my daily needs. This overkill does make longer trips possible if I'm in the mood. lol I do have a number of 200-to-300-mile trips where there is really no SC or SAE over 62.5 kW, so the Bolt is still optimum for that as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I own a 2019 Bolt and we are very pleased with it, except of course with the battery recall. The Bolt is basically my wife's car, though I drive it whenever I get a chance, and I have a Subaru WRX. Well, I'm thinking of getting rid of my WRX and buying a new Tesla Model 3 long range model. I'd like to ask those in the forum who also own a Tesla model 3 to share with me any information they think I should consider before I finalize my purchase. And just to share something that has surprised me, used Teslas are selling more than used ones with 20k miles and two years old than brand new ones! I guess people are willing to spend several thousand dollars more for the used Tesla in order to get it immediately than to order a new one and wait three months and pay several thousand dollars less!
I sold my 2021 Bolt for a Long Range Model 3. Some things I like about the M3:

The charging network for long range trips and how much faster the 3 charges
Over the air updates
Ride quality is better

The used Teslas I have seen are the performance models with the full self driving option which is not necessary in my opinion, but that is a matter of choice.

I think the regen in the Bolt is a little stronger then the M3

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,624 Posts
Cool addition for M3/Y! Will they eventually get something similar to the very useful Bird's Eye View Backup Camera that the Bolt Premier has?
Probably not. That would require hacking into all the video cameras' data.

But I'll B'damd if there is a reason for the front drive to be in -8 Nm of regen while the rear is +16Nm.
This is not much torque, though. Be nice to see kW displayed.
Could this be that goofy mode: "Run the motor inefficiently to make heat for the HVAC system"?

·
Registered
429 Posts
For blind spot, I like this couple's project, which adds a DIC to the mY/m3:
View attachment 39781

The blindspot alerts show-up as red lines on the right/left edges of the DIC:
View attachment 39782
From what I've read, and our test drives of Teslas, things the Bolt does better:
  • maintaining your car out-of-warranty isn't too scary
  • cruise control works on snow covered rural highways
  • windshield wiper stalk
  • some parts are cheap and easy to buy
  • great auto-highbeams
  • surround-view for parallel parking
  • camera rear-view
  • useful GOM (high/mid/low range estimate plus trend bars)
  • very low vampire drain when parked for days
  • nobody notices your car

Reasons we sold our gas van and ordered a model Y:
  • can charge it lots more places (this x100)
  • holds more stuff (for camping and music gigs)
  • can tow our popup

We're concerned about some possible drawbacks with the Tesla. But we feel that if we don't like it, we can probably sell it for a good price in a few years, and get something else (maybe an off-lease Ioniq5 with V2L). Even if it costs $10k too much, if we can get that back out of it in 3 years, then it's all good.
Just a heads up since you didn't have much time in the car.
The wiper stalk on the left of the steering wheel activates when you push in the end button. You can also activate when pressing the right roller ball and saying "wipers on", or "wipers off", or "set wiper to 2". As a side note, almost any function requiring you look at the screen and press a button can be done with voice commands. E.g., try "my butt is freezing" to turn on seat heaters.
My cruise control works on snow covered roads and roads without lines. You may be thinking of FSD which will usually work there too. The cameras though can get occluded and cancel AP in bad weather.
My after warranty work has been quite reasonably priced but I've only had one issue.
The rear view camera on the Tesla can fill the entire screen if you wish.
The energy screen gives much more info than the GOM. You can use it for generic consumption or trip planning. It's much more accurate than the GOM.
Surround view would be a nice addition as the auto park is too aggressive for my tastes. I just don't trust it.
I really don't know how the high beams compare. Never heard that one before.

I think too that the Bolt is better in deeper snow due to better ground clearance which also makes it easier to get in and out of.
The door handles on the Tesla can freeze and become difficult to open.
Paddle regen is a nice feature in the Bolt.
The doors on the Model 3 sound tinny when you slam them.
The Model 3 can be loud at freeway speeds on certain roads. Too much glass I think.

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt, 2017
54 Posts
My wife and I own a 2019 Bolt and we are very pleased with it, except of course with the battery recall. The Bolt is basically my wife's car, though I drive it whenever I get a chance, and I have a Subaru WRX. Well, I'm thinking of getting rid of my WRX and buying a new Tesla Model 3 long range model. I'd like to ask those in the forum who also own a Tesla model 3 to share with me any information they think I should consider before I finalize my purchase. And just to share something that has surprised me, used Teslas are selling more than used ones with 20k miles and two years old than brand new ones! I guess people are willing to spend several thousand dollars more for the used Tesla in order to get it immediately than to order a new one and wait three months and pay several thousand dollars less!
Don't the older used Tesla's (up to 2017 maybe) come with the ability to go to get charged FREE on their superchargers?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't the older used Tesla's (up to 2017 maybe) come with the ability to go to get charged FREE on their superchargers?
Yes. I get free supercharging on my Model S. It has saved me $236 so far as I don’t use it much. (I just found out today that I could download my supercharging history).

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
101 - 120 of 121 Posts