Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla's Supercharger network is still a major advantage, even with the Mach-E's "Plug-n-Charge" capability with EA.

The Audi finished the 1000 mile trip in 18 hours and 39 minutes. The Tesla took an extra hour and a half, and the Mach-E took an extra six and half hours.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
On day two, the Mach-E team dropped FordPass, opting instead to use other apps to find stations only in the Electrify America network.
when is this type of journalism going to end with EVs?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The article echoes experiences that I've found on long trips with my Bolt. Even in town. The quality of charging for non-Tesla stations is hit or miss. EVGo has been relatively reliable but EV America, Chargepoint, and Greenlots have been horrible in my experience. Broken chargers, chargers that will not negotiate properly, or are down due to payment communication issues. If Tesla does one thing right, it a high quality charging infrastructure. They just work. I think competition for charging is good, but it seems like no companies other than Tesla and EVGo really take consistent quality charging seriously.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I dunno, these things are always kinda worthless. A 1000 mile trip in an ICE for me would probably take around 16 hrs. I figure 3 petrol/bio/eat stops; probably 45 minutes of non-travel total. Hour tops for an extra pee stop perhaps.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Let's See the last time I drove 1,000 miles was... when we went to Ohio for a sudden funeral 6 years ago. We rented a car because our cars were older. 90% of my driving is commuting to and from work and 9.9% is driving around town. I'll rent or fly for serious travel I don't need to drag that inefficient engine around for "just in case".

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The Bolt's slower charging speed is becoming more of a handicap as time goes by. Tesla's build quality control is not good, parts literally fall off as many news stories show, but the charging speed is a real appeal.
I guess there's one way to find out what a Tesla is like. Rent one from Enterprise.

Tesla Model S

·
Registered
218 Posts
The only good thing is the charging infrastructure will probably only get better as time goes on.

Another benefit of non-Tesla is during major travel holidays, Tesla ownership is 10x everything else combined or some other large number (I'm guessing) so one Thanksgiving holiday (2019), Tesla owners had to 'wait' hours to charge at major highway routes. Since the infra of other charging companies is used far less by others, those other stations had little/no wait.

Probably will be a problem in Canada too:

Tesla owners tend to buy their cars expecting to long trip it while other EV owners don't expect it as much.

This number isn't going to go down since Tesla still sell more than everything currently.

I'm just planning to take our old 10+ year ICE for now on any long trips.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are truly wanting to drive 1000 miles in a day as fast as you can, then ICE is still the way to go. DUH! Realistically, my much more common scenario is like this:

-Step One: Leave work at 5, hit a fast food drive thru and drive about 180-200 miles and get gas or electricity, maybe due to range but surely due to my wife's bladder.
-Step Two: Drive another 150-180 miles and stop for same reasons.
-Step Three: get a room.(back to full charge or full tank) OR I am at my destination(this is the common thing for us).

If not at destination...

-The next morning repeat step one, then step two. If I'm still not at my destination by now and have to repeat fuel/charge, food and bathroom again, I start wondering why we didn't fly.

If you look at the stats, my scenario is FAR more representative of the majority of Americans, than the 1 Day 1000mile death race. And I do that probably 6 times a year. Stats, IIRC, say most people do that only twice a year.

Bottom line is still this: EV's will work for most people but not all people. Yes, we already knew that.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
When I first got my job, I'd fly anywhere further than 5 hours. After many incidents of cancelled flights stranding me over a weekend, or delayed flights making me spend the night in an airport, or just the inconvenience of driving early to the airport, wasting time at security and the gate, and having to rent a car at my destination, I'm driving anywhere I can get to in 12hrs.

A single person will often find flying is a cheaper option than driving, but once the family begins to grow it becomes way cheaper to drive. My fly vs drive criteria is roughly the same with the family; anything under 12hrs and we're driving. When autonomous driving becomes safe enough to travel highways unattended, I'll push out my driving range even further.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts