1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2021 Premier Slate Gry Blk Int, 240/32a EVSE w/NEMA15-40 on 40a circuit
97 Posts

· Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PW,
Any comments about the Mustart Level 2 Portable EV Charger (Amazon.com: MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 32 Amp), Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in EV Charging Station with NEMA 14-50P (Upgrade Version): Automotive Does the amperage rating affect the charging time? What is the difference between 32amp vs. 24-26amps?
Absolutely there's a difference in charging time between 32 and 24, and 26 amps. It's all about those amps, but of course the Bolt won't draw more than 32, so any unit rated above that only increases safety and cost. I say safety because I'll betchya in some little no-name bootleg EVSE like that Amazon one, it's nothing but a cheap through hole PCB mount relay rated at exactly 32 or 24/26 amps. I'm extremely weary of something so tiny, operating at full power for 8 hours straight. You just dropped $40,000 on a car, spend the extra money on an ugly, indestructible bomber of a charger like a clipper creek - the kind that makes a loud CLUNK that you can feel when it turns on.

They're a lot of money, but they're tanks. There are also other clipper creek chargers that aren't so beastly and in a giant metal box that cost less, and I've never heard a bad thing about them too.

I also advocate for plugging your stock charger in to 220V (it's a clipper creek inside, FYI) It's only 12 amps, but they're well designed. And yeah they have a PCB mount relay too, but they're only putting 12 amps through it. It's still way faster than 110V. See other forum posts for the adapter.

I realize it sounds like I'm shilling for Clipper Creek, but they're just solid machines. I personally plan on building my next EVSE, in the unlikely event that the last one I built fails.

Good luck.

· Registered
48 Posts
I just ordered the Accell AXFast 32 amp charger thru the Walmart website. 2 year manufacturer's warranty, but more importantly I can return it to Walmart if there is a problem.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering is shrox still has the same charger and if it is still working well. Thanks in advance! Steve

· Registered
3,612 Posts
I just ordered the Accell AXFast 32 amp charger thru the Walmart website. 2 year manufacturer's warranty, but more importantly I can return it to Walmart if there is a problem.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering is shrox still has the same charger and if it is still working well. Thanks in advance! Steve
Still have it. The cords barely get warm, and are pretty flexible. It occasionally shows the fault light, maybe one a week, I'm not sure if it's a self diagnostic or similar, but it has never appeared while charging. Basically no problems with using it.

· Registered
48 Posts
Hey thanks Shrox! I'm going to be delay charging it from midnight to 6 am to get the lower electricity cost here in the Twin Cities. Do you keep your unit plugged into the outlet all the time? Or do you turn off the breaker and leave the unit plugged into the outlet. I'm talking about the 14-50 outlet - mine is a 50 amp.

I know it will draw a little current, but I'm thinking it might be a little less wear and tear on the plug, just keeping it plugged in all the time. Of course, I have to have it plugged in to take advantage of the delay charging option.

With what I drive, I'm thinking 1 or 2 times a week will do it for me.

I'm happy that you have not had any "hot cable" issues.

Thanks again for the update. Steve

· Registered
3,612 Posts
Hey thanks Shrox! I'm going to be delay charging it from midnight to 6 am to get the lower electricity cost here in the Twin Cities. Do you keep your unit plugged into the outlet all the time? Or do you turn off the breaker and leave the unit plugged into the outlet. I'm talking about the 14-50 outlet - mine is a 50 amp.

I know it will draw a little current, but I'm thinking it might be a little less wear and tear on the plug, just keeping it plugged in all the time. Of course, I have to have it plugged in to take advantage of the delay charging option.

With what I drive, I'm thinking 1 or 2 times a week will do it for me.

I'm happy that you have not had any "hot cable" issues.

Thanks again for the update. Steve
I never unplug it, the Bolt regulates the charging times through the Energy menu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts