Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't the companies that do the charging networks like EV Go and Charge Point, do collaborations with nationally franchised restaurant chains? It seems to me that the logical place to locate charging stations across the nation's highways and freeways is either at shopping malls, or restaurants. Shopping malls are great, but there are not enough of them along the highway, but restaurants there are.

Imagine if every Denny's, Coco's, Red Robin, In and Out, Carl's Jr/Hardy's, Taco Bell, etc. had charging stations? When people are on the road, they don't expect fine dining and what else are you supposed to do while you wait for your car to charge? Seems like a win/win. The charging stations get the locations by the freeways they need, the restaurants get patrons, many who may never stop at these places in the past and the EV drivers get a reliable place to plan to stop with something to do while the car charges.

The restaurants also get a bit of green street cred. The Charging companies and the restaurants could also share in a national ad campaign. Seems like a natural to me. The way the charging network is now seems dumb.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me. Probably just not profitable, at today's low customer volume. If electric cars catch on, something like this could very well happen. Should work better than placing chargers at gas stations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Obviously, the cost to install a DC charger and the lack of demand as of yet are two obstacles.

I think we can help move things along by filling out comment cards and making a case as to why a DC charger would be a good idea for their location, main highway, restaurants, shopping, tourist attraction and local apartments.

For those of us who live in states that now charge an annual fee for electric vehicles, lobby your representative to have some of that money set a side for grants and loans for installation of these DC chargers for a set period of time.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds reasonable to me. Probably just not profitable, at today's low customer volume. If electric cars catch on, something like this could very well happen. Should work better than placing chargers at gas stations.
I'm sure they aren't profitable, but still companies like EV Go are putting them up anyhow and often times in lame locations and nowhere near the freeway. I don't expect the restaurant chains to pay for the chargers and installation, just provide the space in their lots and space on their signage. No expense to them other than if they opt to do a national ad campaign together. For the charging companies, it's the same profitability as if they put the thing up in the back of a random parking lot somewhere.

I suspect that the charging companies make all their money off of carbon credits and various subsides and not the business of selling people electricity, so it seems to me that it doesn't matter where they put these things or how many people actually use them. They might as well put them somewhere useful for the few that do use them.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I suspect that the charging companies make all their money off of carbon credits and various subsides and not the business of selling people electricity, so it seems to me that it doesn't matter where they put these things or how many people actually use them.
This is a pure guess pulled out of your behind, correct? You have absolutely no data to back up this suspicion? I ask because I would be very, VERY interested in seeing any supporting data (on how charging companies make money - or not).

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a pure guess pulled out of your behind, correct? You have absolutely no data to back up this suspicion? I ask because I would be very, VERY interested in seeing any supporting data (on how charging companies make money - or not).
Sure, of course, but I can use my powers of observation. I now look for charging stations and see empty spots. The charging network's websites show plenty of available, unused stations. I know what equipment like that costs and the costs of installation and maintenance. I see what they are charging for their service.

If this were a profitable business, they would be popping up everywhere and in good locations. They would be the darlings of Wall Street and a great tech stock. So how do they stay in business and even keep expanding? Carbon credits and incentives, that's how. It's how Elon does it too. No shame in that, that's why there are credits and incentives, to push technology and an infrastructure that isn't economically viable on it's own yet. You know as well as I do that if suddenly all federal, state and local credits and incentives were to evaporate, these charging companies would fold up like a cheap tent.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
...I would be very, VERY interested in seeing any supporting data (on how charging companies make money - or not).
I have a strong suspicion that the charging companies are making money in the same way that Tesla is - by hoping that future revenues will pay for current expenses.

And I agree - I think that it's a natural for restaurant and hotel chains that base their business model on feeding and housing Interstate travellers would add charging stations to attract business. I don't think the demand is enough to make it compelling for anyone to do it yet, but I think it will come.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I suspect that the charging companies make all their money off of carbon credits and various subsides and not the business of selling people electricity, so it seems to me that it doesn't matter where they put these things or how many people actually use them.
Then perhaps you've put your finger on the problem.;)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I thought I had heard a while back that Tesla was working with Applebees to install chargers at all their restaurants. These most likely would not all be superchargers but if you look on the map, there are a number of Applebees that do have superchargers. Too many to be coincidental?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought I had heard a while back that Tesla was working with Applebees to install chargers at all their restaurants. These most likely would not all be superchargers but if you look on the map, there are a number of Applebees that do have superchargers. Too many to be coincidental?
Interesting.

I know they have worked with high end hotels e.g. Kimpton properties to install destination chargers, which are more like Level 2 units but with a proprietary connector (for which Tony Williams of QuickCharge Power is developing an adapter enabling you to use it with your Bolt).

Fancy hotels seem more like a match for Tesla's demographic than Applebee's but the more chargers the better.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Here in Puerto Rico there are less than fifty plug-in EVs alltogether. One count put it at seven TM Model S (I have seen two of them), two Nisssan Leafs and two BMW i3 (the last two have dealers selling them since July 2014). I have no information of the others, possible Ford Energi models, or some imports that are not known to me. GM isn't allowing local; dealers to sell any EV here.

But there are many Level 1 and Level 2 EVSE stations up and running. The biggest supporter is Denny's which has three locations with an EVSE installed for their customers. As a note of interest, you can visit PlugShare and see the public and private EVSE installed and posted here (one of them is mine: a Level 2 EVSE in my home carport). So in a way we have more EVSE stations than cars!

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here in Puerto Rico there are less than fifty plug-in EVs alltogether. One count put it at seven TM Model S (I have seen two of them), two Nisssan Leafs and two BMW i3 (the last two have dealers selling them since July 2014). I have no information of the others, possible Ford Energi models, or some imports that are not known to me. GM isn't allowing local; dealers to sell any EV here.

But there are many Level 1 and Level 2 EVSE stations up and running. The biggest supporter is Denny's which has three locations with an EVSE installed for their customers. As a note of interest, you can visit PlugShare and see the public and private EVSE installed and posted here (one of them is mine: a Level 2 EVSE in my home carport). So in a way we have more EVSE stations than cars!
That's really too bad that GM won't be bringing the Bolt to the Caribbean. They would be nearly perfect there. I can imagine and all wheel drive small Jeep type vehicle built on the Bolt platform that would be perfect for island life.

Are people resistant to the idea of electric cars there? They are some places here in the mainland. Do you hope to import a Bolt anyhow and deal with the potential problems yourself?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most (all?) Dunkin Donuts locations in Pittsburgh PA have evGO stations. Not sure if this was a corporate deal, or a franchise level deal.

I do find it a little strange. 99% of my trips to DD have been: walk in, order, walk out. Very rarely do I sit there and eat, or visit with a friend.

Panera would be a good brand to pursue, with their "clean" branding, and locations across the nation.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That's really too bad that GM won't be bringing the Bolt to the Caribbean. They would be nearly perfect there. I can imagine and all wheel drive small Jeep type vehicle built on the Bolt platform that would be perfect for island life.

Are people resistant to the idea of electric cars there? They are some places here in the mainland. Do you hope to import a Bolt anyhow and deal with the potential problems yourself?
Seriously?

Heat and Li_ion batteries are a BAD MIX.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seriously?

Heat and Li_ion batteries are a BAD MIX.
True, but with the temperature management system it can be mitigated somewhat. The good news is, the distances typically traveled are short. It's not much if any worse than Texas, the Florida Keys and Hawaii and the Bolt will be sold and supported in those areas.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the heat in the Caribbean islands, surrounded as they are by the moderating influence of the ocean, really going to be any worse than it is in Texas?
The summers can be brutal, but no worse than Texas. The difference is, most of Texas cools off for part of the year down to moderate to even cold temperatures. In the Caribbean, it cools off, but still stays above 80F.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Is the heat in the Caribbean islands, surrounded as they are by the moderating influence of the ocean, really going to be any worse than it is in Texas?
What was GM supposed to do? "Sold in ALL FIFTY STATES (except the ones we don't like)" ?? "Sold in ALL FIFTY STATES (except the hot ones)" (this latter one highlighting possible battery issues) ?? Um, no.

But they had an easy choice to quietly NOT sell it in a hot location that probably wouldn't buy a lot anyway, so NOT invest money and effort getting dealers trained and materiel installed. I'll be interested to see how many Amperas (European name for Bolt) are sold in Sicily, Greece, and Spain - or if it is even offered. (I expect them to be avail, and have pretty good sales, in Germany and France, Holland & Denmark, and of course Finland.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
There were reports several months ago regarding Tesla installing Superchargers at Ruby Tuesday locations, which is where they located the one 30 miles from me. But they are opportunistic, installing them at several nice hotels (Hampton Inn, etc.) as well as nicer restaurants (Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday, etc.)

I would certainly be in favor of installing DCFC next at fast food restaurants, though, as that would work quite well. Most are located adjacent to interstate exits, and by the time you've eaten and had the obligatory restroom break, it's time to move on.

Joe

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would certainly be in favor of installing DCFC next at fast food restaurants, though, as that would work quite well. Most are located adjacent to interstate exits, and by the time you've eaten and had the obligatory restroom break, it's time to move on.
There is a favorite ChargePoint charger that I went to yesterday near the ONT airport. It's located at a 76 station, that not only sells regular gasoline, but also CNG as well as 50 Amp DCFC and 2 J1772 charging stations. The nice thing is that there is a Jack in the Box right across the parking lot, so if I need to charge, I'll stop by grab a bite to eat and a get a charge. As a bonus, the charging rate is only $0.04/min.

It's quite an ideal situation that I wish would be replicated in more places.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts