Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my AC died this morning. Worked fine yesterday. Today, wife and I took a drive and unable to turn on AC. Usually on Auto but no dice. Fan and vents work manually but no cooling.

Anyone have a similar issue? Easy fix or do I have to go to the dealer :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just went out to the garage and it is now working. Not sure what happened. Maybe a software glitch?

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
306 Posts
A few times I thought I put my air on only to find out that I had somehow shut off the A/C/Heat button, the red light wasn't on.

It may be possible that the red light wasn't on which means everything looks like its working but the compressor doesn't go on ( also the heat if you have the temp set to a high number)

·
Registered
564 Posts
One thing that occurred to me while reading the above post is, if the A/C does go on the fritz (low refrigerant, etc.) would this endanger the ability of the battery cooling system? If so, then battery life could be negatively affected. On an ICE car, the A/C going out is at most inconvenient. The ramifications are much more serious if the EV A/C goes out. Thoughts?

·
Registered
574 Posts
The tiny orange lights that indicate the A/C or heat is working, 'on' and recirculate are pathetic: they should be much larger. If the sun is shining on them, they are even more difficult to distinguish.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
One thing that occurred to me while reading the above post is, if the A/C does go on the fritz (low refrigerant, etc.) would this endanger the ability of the battery cooling system? If so, then battery life could be negatively affected. On an ICE car, the A/C going out is at most inconvenient. The ramifications are much more serious if the EV A/C goes out. Thoughts?
Yup. My last car didn't have AC. I was fine with that. Batteries are like babies that never grow up. I am sure that if the AC actually failed, you would gets lots of scary fault codes.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
On an ICE car, the A/C going out is at most inconvenient. The ramifications are much more serious if the EV A/C goes out. Thoughts?
Yep, in hot weather an A/C failure could potentially strand your car. It won't damage your battery, though, because the car monitors for this and will throw trouble codes if it's unable to keep the battery cool.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The tiny orange lights that indicate the A/C or heat is working, 'on' and recirculate are pathetic: they should be much larger. If the sun is shining on them, they are even more difficult to distinguish.
I've also experienced an issue caused by another problem where the HVAC GUI controls and indicators would freeze in their last known state. Touching the GUI buttons didn't do anything and there was no animated feedback to indicate you pressed anything.

I ultimately had to perform the 2-finger salute: hold down HOME and NEXT TRACK buttons for 10 seconds and the infotainment will reboot. After that, I could control my HVAC again. I had turned my Bolt off/on a few times but they were brief cycles and the infotainment system still remained "frozen". Only the 2-finger salute fixed things.

FYI, this all started to due to a shifter issue. GM replaced my shifter assembly and so far *KNOCK WOOD* it hasn't returned. I also chocked it up to shifting too quickly from fresh power on so I make it a habit to *ALWAYS* take a breath and perform a routine to check systems/mirrors/phone/belt/dashcams before I actually disengage EPB and shift into gear. By then my infotainment system as 100% booted.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've also experienced an issue caused by another problem where the HVAC GUI controls and indicators would freeze in their last known state. Touching the GUI buttons didn't do anything and there was no animated feedback to indicate you pressed anything.

I ultimately had to perform the 2-finger salute: hold down HOME and NEXT TRACK buttons for 10 seconds and the infotainment will reboot. After that, I could control my HVAC again. I had turned my Bolt off/on a few times but they were brief cycles and the infotainment system still remained "frozen". Only the 2-finger salute fixed things.
Same. Happened to me twice before. I did note, however, that in my case, using the physical controls (e.g., fan speed, temperature settings, etc) still worked in controlling the A/C settings, although any changes I made did not reflect on the frozen screen. And yes, the two-finger salute rectified the situation in both instances as well. After the reboot, it displayed the last settings for the A/C (i.e., the changes I made using the physical controls while the screen was frozen).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Same. Happened to me twice before. I did note, however, that in my case, using the physical controls (e.g., fan speed, temperature settings, etc) still worked in controlling the A/C settings, although any changes I made did not reflect on the frozen screen. And yes, the two-finger salute rectified the situation in both instances as well. After the reboot, it displayed the last settings for the A/C (i.e., the changes I made using the physical controls while the screen was frozen).
I left out the part about the manual controls still working. I made a thead ages ago about this problem that included this information. For any new readers, I also had the same experience @MDBolt had. So this is a common issue and your dealer can help fix it by replacing your shifter assembly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our weirdness today was after pulling out of our hot garage into the 90F Florida sunshine, turned on the AC set to 72F and got only warm air. We did give it time to get going as there is always a 30-60 second stretch at first where you don't feel it. The AC had worked fine in the morning set at 72F.

Trying things we found that turning down the setting to 70F kicked on the AC but as soon as we tried turning it back to 72F, it went back to warm air. We kept trying this experiment at different fan speeds and with different vent settings but always the same result for all of the 6 mile errand we were on (about 15 minutes with some long red lights in the middle)--cold air when set to 70F and warm air when set to 72F even though it felt like 85-90F inside the car.

We got to our destination, turned the car off, came back out in an hour and the AC worked normally all the way home (still 89F outside and with AC set to 72F). Strange. First time this has happened. 2017 Bolt with about 7500 miles.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Our weirdness today was after pulling out of our hot garage into the 90F Florida sunshine, turned on the AC set to 72F and got only warm air. We did give it time to get going as there is always a 30-60 second stretch at first where you don't feel it. The AC had worked fine in the morning set at 72F.

Trying things we found that turning down the setting to 70F kicked on the AC but as soon as we tried turning it back to 72F, it went back to warm air. We kept trying this experiment at different fan speeds and with different vent settings but always the same result for all of the 6 mile errand we were on (about 15 minutes with some long red lights in the middle)--cold air when set to 70F and warm air when set to 72F even though it felt like 85-90F inside the car.

We got to our destination, turned the car off, came back out in an hour and the AC worked normally all the way home (still 89F outside and with AC set to 72F). Strange. First time this has happened. 2017 Bolt with about 7500 miles.

I understand that when humidity is high (Florida, anyone?) the Bolt HVAC works in mysterious ways, trying to reduce interior humidity to keep windows clear.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I too have noticed occasional weirdness in getting the climate control to switch to A/C. It can be nudged back to reality by bumping the temperature setting down to 70 degrees, just as JC Bolt experienced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in Central Florida as well (Orlando), and have experienced the same phenomenon. It seems to happen this time of year. Experienced it last year as well. Never happened during the summer months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like my AC died this morning. Worked fine yesterday. Today, wife and I took a drive and unable to turn on AC. Usually on Auto but no dice. Fan and vents work manually but no cooling.

Anyone have a similar issue? Easy fix or do I have to go to the dealer :(
I have the same issue, 2020 Bolt Premier

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just had AC problems earlier this week in my '17 Bolt. Couldn't get the AC to work properly and had to turn it all the way down for Max cooling to get some cold air. I was ready to take it to the dealer the next day, but it worked fine upon starting the car. I think it was a software glitch that controls the AC, and that "rebooting" it by shutting the car off for a while fixed it. So much of modoern cars functioning depends on computers these days...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just had AC problems earlier this week in my '17 Bolt. Couldn't get the AC to work properly and had to turn it all the way down for Max cooling to get some cold air. I was ready to take it to the dealer the next day, but it worked fine upon starting the car. I think it was a software glitch that controls the AC, and that "rebooting" it by shutting the car off for a while fixed it. So much of modoern cars functioning depends on computers these days...
This same thing happened to my wife the other day in my 2017.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts