Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new bolt on Saturday January 7th. During setup at the dealership I get an e-mail from OnStar Notifications:

An issue with the lithium-ion battery in your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days.

Ugh. I didn't want to take it. Fix it and then I'll sign the lease. Service was closed, but they convinced me it was minor and I drove away in my new bolt. I returned Sunday and the service guys couldn't figure it out (come back during the week). I brought it in Wednesday the 11th, and they have had the car for almost two weeks now. Currently the word is that the A/C evaporator needs to be replaced. Because the battery relies on the A/C to maintain its proper working temperature you can't drive the car if the A/C is INOP.

They gave me a free rental car, but its a Ford Fusion and I really hate it. Ugh. I want my bolt!

--Bob

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I picked up my new bolt on Saturday January 7th. During setup at the dealership I get an e-mail from OnStar Notifications:

An issue with the lithium-ion battery in your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days.

Ugh. I didn't want to take it. Fix it and then I'll sign the lease. Service was closed, but they convinced me it was minor and I drove away in my new bolt. I returned Sunday and the service guys couldn't figure it out (come back during the week). I brought it in Wednesday the 11th, and they have had the car for almost two weeks now. Currently the word is that the A/C evaporator needs to be replaced. Because the battery relies on the A/C to maintain its proper working temperature you can't drive the car if the A/C is INOP.

They gave me a free rental car, but its a Ford Fusion and I really hate it. Ugh. I want my bolt!

--Bob
Man, that sucks. Personally, I would not have taken delivery if that message had appeared before I drove it off the lot. Hope they fix it soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Welcome to being the early adopters! Kinda how it goes I guess. Expect a little bit of this kind of stuff. It took so long to figure out because the repair technicians and the people that support those people are all figuring this stuff out too as they go. This isn't the ordinary ICE car they're more used to. More and more they are becoming computer technicians too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear this. :eek:

Was there any sign of an issue in the car, or was the OnStar notification the only way to tell? I'm curious because I guess the e-mail alerts will go away once the OnStar trial period expires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was an amber car symbol on the dash with an exclamation mark on it. Not much really.

Anyway, I got the car back today, and I'm excited to finally be driving it again. One strange symptom of the A/C failure was that the car wouldn't allow "departure time" charge mode. Its happy now though.

Apparently the A/C evaporator is very difficult to replace in this car and required both front doors to be removed and lots of other stuff. Apparently they were searching for the leak with some kind of dye system, but the new refrigerant didn't work with the U/V detector they were using.

Ugh. Glad its finally over!

--Bob

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Apparently the A/C evaporator is very difficult to replace in this car and required both front doors to be removed and lots of other stuff.
The evaporator is the part that cools the air coming out the vents and so it's buried inside the dashboard. It's a b*tch of a job to access in pretty much all vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts