Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bolt allows customization via the touch screen so that you can either invoke Collision Avoidance Warning and/or Collision Avoidance Warning and Braking. While I will see the Collision Avoidance Warning Red lights flash against the inside of the windshield and the audible warning sound I have yet to feel the brakes engage. Has anyone had the car brake for them either to avoid hitting a Pedestrian or another car or structure? Just curious how much braking is applied. Will the car stop or just slow down? What happens depending on speed. So if at 45 mph versus 20 mph. Would really like to hear from you folks out there. My 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid only warns with a light on the center dash and a low volume audible sound (not adjustable) No braking. Yet I have Cruse Control that automatically brakes the car to keep it at a safe distance from the cars in front. It will actually brake hard if the cars are stopped in front of it.
Manny

·
Registered
181 Posts
I nominate you for extensive testing.

This triggered on me once when I was coming up to a light, but right before I turned into the left turn pocket. The car slowed more than I was planning, but I turned into the pocket before it had a chance to stop the car.

I was approaching the stopped car in front of me faster than I would have had I not been planning to change lanes, but not so fast that I could not have stopped if something had prevented me from turning into the pocket.

I am satisfied with this feature. I also like the blind spot warning indicators on the mirrors. They have come on a few times when I had no idea a car was there. I wasn't planning on changing lanes, but it was still a "Twilight Zone" moment, "Where did that car come from?"

Ed

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Low speed auto braking is supposed to apply the brakes to help reduce a collision’s severity if the vehicle is traveling at a low speed and a front crash is imminent. But this is what Chevy says.

If you really want to test it out, might I suggest one of those large cost bears the size of a man? Worse case scenario, you run over the bear.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Low speed auto braking is supposed to apply the brakes to help reduce a collision’s severity if the vehicle is traveling at a low speed and a front crash is imminent. But this is what Chevy says.

If you really want to test it out, might I suggest one of those large cost bears the size of a man? Worse case scenario, you run over the bear.
I might suggest using one of these for testing, but you might get a visit from the Secret Service afterwards. :D
https://www.amazon.com/Bonk-Fit-Inflatable-Standing-Punching/dp/B01FR7UW4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491829035&sr=8-2&keywords=trump+inflatable
https://www.amazon.com/Bonk-Fit-Inflatable-Standing-Punching/dp/B01FR7UW4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491829035&sr=8-2&keywords=trump+inflatable

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have had mine activate twice now, both times it certainly saved me from accidents. One was a car coming from my left that decided my lane was where they wanted to go, I was doing about 35 mph and they were not. The second was a car making a right and they either didn't see me or just thought i was going slower, I was going about 40 mph that time.

Both times the car started braking before I even lifted my foot off the accelerator.

This first one it just slowed me enough to avoid the accident, the second one I came to a complete stop.

I've been quite happy with the feature, though the alert sometimes gives me false alarms. In my neighborhood with cars parked on the street it will go off if I approach a car on my right on a left turning curve. Though since i'm not going directly at it I assume it thinks i'm taking evasive maneuvers as it has never activated the brakes. Same thing happens with the pedestrian alerts on those turns.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can make a dummy person from cardboard or fiberboard, and put it on a wooden or plastic fixtures, so if the car runs over it, the dummy will fall and not damage the car.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Emergency brakes are usually something you don't want to test out in real life, but it's good to hear that the Bolt EV's auto braking works as advertised and can save your car from a collision. Since around 40 mph is the speed limit for most streets, that means the Bolt's auto brakes will be operation most of the time, not sure about highway speeds and if the cameras can react that fast.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Emergency brakes are usually something you don't want to test out in real life, but it's good to hear that the Bolt EV's auto braking works as advertised and can save your car from a collision. Since around 40 mph is the speed limit for most streets, that means the Bolt's auto brakes will be operation most of the time, not sure about highway speeds and if the cameras can react that fast.
I would need to check the manual again but I believe it says that the emergency braking is only expected to be effective up to 50 mph.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would need to check the manual again but I believe it says that the emergency braking is only expected to be effective up to 50 mph.

My understanding is that most folks will not walk away from a head on at 50+ mph. The trauma is intense. Cars are pretty safe today versus back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. That is a good thing. Can you imagine how many accidents would be avoided on the freeways if everyone had accident avoidance in their vehicles?
Manny

·
Registered
544 Posts
My understanding is that most folks will not walk away from a head on at 50+ mph. The trauma is intense. Cars are pretty safe today versus back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. That is a good thing. Can you imagine how many accidents would be avoided on the freeways if everyone had accident avoidance in their vehicles?
Manny
Yeah, there have been a lot of safety advocates that are pushing for systems like this to be mandatory in automobiles. Insurance industry has been pushing for it, would mean far fewer accidents for them to cover, fewer repairs, fewer injuries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haven't felt brakes yet

I've never felt the brakes engage when the warning light goes off.

I just had the dealer test the system to make sure the parts are working, and they said it was fine.

I do notice that if my foot is off the accelerator, the warning lights / sound go off and the car slows down, but I can't tell if it's just regen or strong regen or braking.

I sure hope the brakes get applied if I am approaching too fast. I definitely want the safety feature.

With the pedestrian warning system, I'm not sure I want to be braking for "potential" people. The system "sees" people off to the side when I'm driving through the city -- not sure what triggers "sudden stop" if I'm coming to an intersection in the train of many cars on a 3-lane street.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I had the blind-spot warning in the mirror go off as I was backing out of a diagonal parking space. Sure enough, a couple of shoppers were about to walk in back of me from the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's when I really find that the blind spot warnings come in real handy, reversing out of parking spots as people can just jump out of nowhere if you're not careful

·
Registered
639 Posts
In some future MY of the Bolt we should be seeing more advanced systems that will aid in backing out. A vehicle driving on its own can't just depend on a camera, sensors for heat, identifying objects, etc. will be needed

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does FCA need to be on for FAB to work?

In reading this thread, it raised a question in my mind as to whether it's necessary to set the Forward Collision Alert (FCA) Timing (page 223 of manual) in order for the Forward Automatic Braking (FAB) to work?

I've noticed the FCA alerting me in it's various levels of attention (green, yellow, red with sound) without me having set the FCA timing so I imagine that FAB is enabled even if the timing has not been set. But, as this is an important safety feature I did not want to make any assumptions.

The manual isn't exactly clear to me on this point.

Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yesterday, I was going down a hill in Berkeley at about 20 miles per hour and a dodo turned from the right cross street into my lane, I hit the brakes and he cleared my front end by about two feet as I came to a full stop. It happened so fast I have no idea if the alarm went off or any safety feature helped. Just glad the car and wife are still intact. Anyway the Bolt made a quick stop for sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For TotaledJetta, I wonder what log files can be pulled from the vehicle? It would be fascinating to see for sure as I'm curious as to whether the FAB engaged. Somebody on this board does seem to have access to data that service technicians use so they might know.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe it doesn't kick in if the sensors detects a car, but your foot's already on the brakes so there's no need to intervene.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts