Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

Does your Bolt shift from forward to reverse without pressing the safety button?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in my 2019 Bolt at a stop light I reached over to the passenger seat and unknowingly hit the shifter into reverse in the process. When I accelerated I nearly crashed into the vehicle behind me. I found that the safety button on the shifter needs to be pressed to get out of park but not to go between D, L, or R. Not such a safety button after all.

·
Registered
331 Posts
How does one accidentally hit the lockout button and pull the shifter back to engage reverse. There was a story on here about a person in a Bolt that got car jacked and the thief couldn't get the car in to reverse to steal it and ran away.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Seems like that would be a complex "bump" of the shifter for that to occur: safety button or not, you'd have to push the lever all the way forward and while holding it in the forward position, move it to the left in order to engage reverse.

Mike

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
While in my 2019 Bolt at a stop light I reached over to the passenger seat and unknowingly hit the shifter into reverse in the process. When I accelerated I nearly crashed into the vehicle behind me. I found that the safety button on the shifter needs to be pressed to get out of park but not to go between D, L, or R. Not such a safety button after all.
Wrong. The button does need to be pressed to go into R. If you don't press it, you go into neutral.

I actually sometimes fail to press the button sufficiently when intending to select R, and as a result put the car in neutral rather than reverse — this can be a problem if you're pointing down a hill, since you go forwards rather than backwards.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Bolt will go from D or L directly into R without pushing the parking release button. Just shove the lever forward and to the left. The parking release button is just that- once I'm out of park I don't have to press it again to select any gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well then you should take it in for repair because like others are reporting (I just tested mine) I can go from D to L to N without hitting the side safety button but can’t get to R without pressing the side safety button.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I just checked our 12/16 build 2017 LT. Attempting to shift into reverse by moving the shifter forward, and to the left, without depressing the lockout button, gets a warning on the DIC every time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Our 2017 Bolt LT will not go into R without pressing the lockout button. I just tried it.

This thread is of interest as I'll be posting something on an incident here in Bako with a Bolt LT. Could be a few days yet.

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine's a 2019 LT. It makes sense to me that there are two buttons, one to engage park and another to disengage it. Once I disengage park I'm free to select any "gear", D, L, N or R. The OP said they were stopped at a light, which I assume means the car was already in D or L. Technically, I guess you have to pass through N to get to R. My next experiment will see if toggling back and forth directly between N and R is possible.

·
Registered
829 Posts
From the “Getting to Know Your Bolt EV” guide (page 6), “Reverse – Press and hold the shift lock button on the side of the lever (B) and move the lever forward and then left to shift into Reverse.”
If your Bolt doesn't make you press the side button to shift into R, it's faulty and needs to be taken in for repair.
The actual car manual isn't clear in that it doesn't mention needing to hit the side button yet does mention it for taking it out of park. I wonder if they changed the programming for 2019 and just didn't update the addendum/quick guide. I already know my Bolt is defective, the rear camera only shows the backup lines about half the time and there are times where in L, the car still creeps ... it's rare, but it has happened about 6 times in the last year/17,000 miles. I'll add this to the list and roll with it for now ... I have no viable service providers in the state that I trust, beyond rotating the tires.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The actual car manual isn't clear in that it doesn't mention needing to hit the side button yet does mention it for taking it out of park. I wonder if they changed the programming for 2019 and just didn't update the addendum/quick guide. I already know my Bolt is defective, the rear camera only shows the backup lines about half the time and there are times where in L, the car still creeps ... it's rare, but it has happened about 6 times in the last year/17,000 miles. I'll add this to the list and roll with it for now ... I have no viable service providers in the state that I trust, beyond rotating the tires.
It's the same text in the 2017 edition. The full 2017 manual says, on page 207 (and page 208 in the 2019 manual):
To shift into R (Reverse):
  1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
  2. Press the shift lock release button on the side of the shift lever.
  3. From the center position, move the shift lever forward, and then to the left. R is illuminated in red.
  4. After releasing the shift lever, it will return to the center position.
(That said, there's some fun to be had shifting a Bolt into reverse without bringing the vehicle to a complete stop.)

·
Registered
829 Posts
@Vertiformed you are indeed correct. For the 2019 year, it's on page 211 for those following along. I'll test it again tomorrow, but I pulled the car out of the garage and tested it earlier and I can go from D to R without the left button. This was immediately after power up, for what that might be worth. I'll try it under different scenario's tomorrow on my way to work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Tested my 2019 Premier this morning. I can go from L to R or D to R without pressing the button. Looks like it was changed (or it's a bug) in 2019. I tried shoving it diagonally up and to the left to see if one bump could get it into R but it didn't seem to want to go that way: you have to press it straight forward first and then hold and press left.

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
From the “Getting to Know Your Bolt EV” guide (page 6), “Reverse – Press and hold the shift lock button on the side of the lever (B) and move the lever forward and then left to shift into Reverse.”

If your Bolt doesn't make you press the side button to shift into R, it's faulty and needs to be taken in for repair.

I had my "shifter control module" replaced for a different problem. It still behaves like the other 2019's in this thread.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts