Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

Does your Bolt shift from forward to reverse without pressing the safety button?

• Total voters
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Bolt will go from D or L directly into R without pushing the parking release button. Just shove the lever forward and to the left. The parking release button is just that- once I'm out of park I don't have to press it again to select any gear.
Same for me on my 2019

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just to be clear for those who own a pre-2019, the button definitely works on my 2019 and isn't shorted or disconnected: you cannot go from park to any drive gear without pressing the button and if you try, it'll tell you to press the side button. So the button is working. But once out of park, you can go from R to D or D to R without pressing it as long as it's already in gear and not in park. I don't see this as a problem because I've seen quite a few cars that don't require a button press to go from D to R as long as there is some non-straight path you have to follow to get it into R. My 2009 Dodge Challenger for example, had a zig-zag type motion you had to follow with the shifter to go from D to R but no button.

Edit to add image... something like this: https://cdn3.volusion.com/2rtfo.q6jtm/v/vspfiles/photos/10065-4.jpg?v-cache=1502683837

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Red LT. My car just went into R without pressing the lock button, and I almost got a truck in a drive-thru. I will have to put it in park Everytime I stop until I can get Chevy to address the issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2019 Red LT. My car just went into R without pressing the lock button, and I almost got a truck in a drive-thru. I will have to put it in park Everytime I stop until I can get Chevy to address the issue.
Good luck with that. I’m pretty sure the side button is only required to shift out of park. Reverse already has the “move the lever to the left” interlock (my 2020).

·
Registered
549 Posts
I still don't really see a problem. It's not like you can just bump the lever and get reverse. It takes two separate actions: you have to move it straight forward and after that, to the left. You cannot bump it at an angle (say forward and left) because it won't move like that. I guess I could imagine some scenario where you are reaching for something, end up pushing the lever straight forward, and somehow move back straight to the left and it could happen... but in that circumstance, it is probably best to just not use your shift lever as a sit-n-spin. ;)

Mike

41 - 47 of 47 Posts