Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I took my kids from Colorado Springs to Durango to ride the Durango & Silverton narrow gauge railroad. (Both modes of transportation are coal powered, at least until I can save enough pennies for a solar roof!) There are no fast chargers along the most direct route* so it was slow travel with L2 charging in Salida and Pagosa Springs. I ended up charging for about three hours in salida, which turned out to be the perfect amount of time for a picnic, playing at the park and some exploring. This actually would have taken me all the way to Durango, but we took a bathroom and leg stretching break in Pagosa Springs anyway and got a few kWh. It all made for a very relaxing road trip. First one with the bolt, I loved driving up and down hills with the speed locked wherever I wanted it, having come from a Subaru with a 4spd automatic that would gear hunt and throw the CEL if I used full throttle up a high altitude climb! Final stats were 621mi driven at 4.3 mi/kWh and about $6 in total energy cost. (Thanks to the various municipal charging stations mostly being free.) The only difficulty was a snowstorm on wolf creek pass, but the car handled it like a champ.

* there is a 62kW charger in Buena Vista, but it’s several miles off my preferred route and quite expensive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fun trip!

I take it you're using the stock tires? I've only driven on snow once with the Bolt and regretted not having chains, but it sounds like you had no trouble in the snowstorm.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was great! Yes I'm on the stock tires - I'm pretty used to driving in the snow and was conservative, but it felt fine to me - never felt like I was losing traction.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think I talked with you before about this trip when you were planning it. There is DCFC available if you take another route, but it is insanely expensive right?

Good job on the trip, it is amazing how much more pleasant a trip is with out time constraints. I have to imagine this is what motor home travel after retirement would be like.

Keith

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m sure ChargePoint would just say that they don’t set the rates. The person must have charged in the evening when the rate is 1.33/kWh(!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts