Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable about the Bolt's technical details, but today I just discovered that there are active aero shutters in front of the radiator inlet behind the lower grill. Does the community know this or is it a cool bit of engineering that GM never bothered to publish?

Here's a photo:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I like to consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable about the Bolt's technical details, but today I just discovered that there are active aero shutters in front of the radiator inlet behind the lower grill. Does the community know this or is it a cool bit of engineering that GM never bothered to publish?

Here's a photo:

I looked through the manual to see if there was a fuse called out to control it but I did not see any thing that matches the name. I am assuming that is the stopped position would be nice to know when they are closed or open just for yuks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:eek:Interesting. Why does a 100% electric vehicle need a radiator, three reservoirs, and shutters? Cabin heat, battery management? My previous BMW i3 BEV used a heat pump which was less complex and provided sufficient heat. The i3 also had battery management, but a much smaller battery.

·
Registered
328 Posts
:eek:Interesting. Why does a 100% electric vehicle need a radiator, three reservoirs, and shutters? Cabin heat, battery management? (...)
Page 254 of the user manual, 3 separate thermal management loops:

- High Voltage Battery
- Single Power Inverter Module (SPIM), Accessory Power Module (APM), and Charger Module
- Cabin Heating

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Page 254 of the user manual, 3 separate thermal management loops:

- High Voltage Battery
- Single Power Inverter Module (SPIM), Accessory Power Module (APM), and Charger Module
- Cabin Heating
If I'm not mistaken I believe the motor is also on the same loop as the high power electronics under the hood.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I looked through the manual to see if there was a fuse called out to control it but I did not see any thing that matches the name. I am assuming that is the stopped position would be nice to know when they are closed or open just for yuks.
page 255, fuse 27, aeroshutter sounds like a good candidate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts