Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently rent and the landlord won't touch the electrical. Currently, in the laundry room I have an old school 10-30 plug with two slanted and one "L" shaped prongs. I'm wanting to buy a Clipper Creek Level 2 24a plug-in unit, but this would involve using a 10-30 to 14-30 (they don't sell anything with the 10-30 anymore) adapter and a 25 ft extension cord to the EVSE unit in the garage. I've looked online, but most of the conversations involve going from 10-30 to 14-50. Does this sound safe and or feasible? Thanks for any help that can be offered, this forum is really useful.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Check out etsy dot com/listing/384390572/chevy-volt-chevy-bolt-ev-level-2-charge.
He sells a wide variety of converters. The site owner was very responsive to my questions pre-purchase.
He may be able to create a longer adapter (i.e. extension cord).

I bought a converter for my wife's Volt, to use our 240V 14-50 outlets. The factory EVSE cord then plugs into the converter. I don't think the factory EVSE will pull 32A, but would certainly be faster than the standard 110V outlet.

There are lots of 16A EVSE for a 10-30 (on Amazon, there is one from ZenCar {that's where I bought my 14-50 EVSE}). That may not feel all so helpful, when your car can pull 32A. But again, better than the standard 100V outlet.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The above post has given you good advice. I will add that "by code" you can only pull 80% of the rated circuit. So if the plug is supported by sufficient wire and a 30A breaker you could plug in a EVSE that is set to charge the Bolt at 24A, like the Clipper Creek you mention.

The stock EVSE that came with the Bolt can charge at 12A, so for the cost of the adapter and extension cord you could double your charge rate. With a new EVSE that could be set to 24A you could get to 75% of the Bolt max level 2 charge rate of 32A.

As long as you purchase adapters and cable, that are properly rated for the voltage and current they will be used at, it is both feasible and safe to do what you describe.

Some folks really like the Tesla UMC for its ability to set charging rate and flexibility, but if you head that direction you need adapters on both ends...
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-c...ing-opinions-long-time-ev-user.html#post75682

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an RV outlet with 30 amps at 120 volts. With the vehicle provided EVSE, I can only pull 12 amps.... is there a cheap & easy way to increase this to 24 at this outlet?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have an RV outlet with 30 amps at 120 volts. With the vehicle provided EVSE, I can only pull 12 amps.... is there a cheap & easy way to increase this to 24 at this outlet?
The *vehicle* limits itself to pulling a max of 12A at 120V - no matter the supply or the EVSE - there is no way to change that.

On a related note, rumor has it that if you get an "adapter" that allows you to safely plug the Bolt's standard EVSE (the one that shipped with the vehicle) into a 240V outlet, it will happily supply 12A @ 240V (2.8 kW). Not that I am encouraging anyone to do such a thing (for liability reasons).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I hadn't really considered a 16A charger, but now that I re-look at our mileage needs, that should do the trick and I won't have to worry about using an adapter in addition to an extension cord. Unfortunately, doubling our current charge rate by simply using an adapter with the stock EVSE won't give us enough day to day miles that we need.

·
Registered
862 Posts
While it will work, using an extension cord in that situation is:
A) prohibited by the NEC (and hence most likely your local code)
B) Most EVSE's instructions state they are not to be used with extension cords.

Many people do just what you are describing with no adverse results. YMMV (codes are not written just so they will inconvenience the public - there is a reason for them).

·
Registered
676 Posts
You can make a "dog bone" adapter to change a male 220v plug to the 120v plug that mates with the standard Bolt EVSE cord. At that point, the car will charge twice as fast on 12amps. There are two "gotchas".... 1) you MUST label that adapter cord so someone doesn't try to plug anything except the EVSE into it, 2)the logical thing to do would be to change the EVSE cord end to a 220v plug, but it has a temperature sensor in it, so that's not advisable.

If you buy an off the shelf 50amp 220v plug to 110v adapter (often used for RVs), it'll be wired incorrectly for *this* application. This is something you must buy for this specific purpose or make your self.

It does work though. GM made this EVSE to work in the European market as well, which is why it is so easy to run on 220v. Actually it's made by clipper creek for GM.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got a 16A dual voltage 'Duosida' brand EVSE for $175 from FleaBay, with free shipping. It has a 5-15 plug on it. The description often says '110-220V'...that is the indication it is dual voltage, and good with 240V.

It will run 8 or 12A (car selectable) at 120V, and 16A at 240V.

I also got a (cheap) 12 AWG extension cord, and put a heavy duty 5-20 receptacle on the female end (replacing a lit receptacle that would fail at 240V). I then made several adapters for 240V plugs to 5-20R for the other end.

You could get the same EVSE, and a 12 AWG extension cord for your case, and swap the male end for a new plug that fits your outlet.

I feel that 12 AWG is ok for 16A sustained, but this is not my everyday rig (its my portable rig). You might want to get a heavier 10AWG extension cord that is no longer than you require for your application. And if you can't find the plugs and receptacles you need (likely), swap them out yourself.

You would be able to get 3.8 kW EVSE setup for about ~$250. All the cords and plugs are on amazon.

Safety wise, the plugs and receptacles are the weak points....tighten the screws on the wires very well, and feel everything for any heating after some sustained use. None of the plugs or outlets should even be slightly warm. The other factor with extension cords is damage and abuse. Don't put it where it will get crushed or stepped on regularly, and if you see **any** damage, replace it.

Of course you could just do the cord/plug work first for ~$75 and see if the OEM EVSE (at 2.9kW) does the job for you. You can then decide later to upgrade the EVSE for $175. If you own the Bolt (rather than lease) you could then sell the stock EVSE to recover some of the $175 cost.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The *vehicle* limits itself to pulling a max of 12A at 120V - no matter the supply or the EVSE - there is no way to change that.

On a related note, rumor has it that if you get an "adapter" that allows you to safely plug the Bolt's standard EVSE (the one that shipped with the vehicle) into a 240V outlet, it will happily supply 12A @ 240V (2.8 kW). Not that I am encouraging anyone to do such a thing (for liability reasons).
^^ Just adding to this - the included ESVE is the same one that is used in Europe, so it works with both 120 or 240 - the issue is that the North American version has a standard 120 male plug, and North American 240 receptacles are not compatible (for safety - no worries about frying something or creating an unsafe condition this way). To adapt the EVSE, you'll basically need to build your own adapter (or check out that Etsy link I suppose), but by doing so, you are creating an adapter which would allow a 120 appliance to be plugged into a 240 line easily - dangerous if misused. I built such an adapter - here's the post where I talk about it: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-c...amp-welding-circuit-options-2.html#post258801.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is there any possibility that more than one type of charger shipped with the Bolt? Mine is clearly marked 120V and there is no indication on it that it would work at 220V.

Is there a place to look other than glued-on (not moulded in) label?

Ron

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Is there any possibility that more than one type of charger shipped with the Bolt? Mine is clearly marked 120V and there is no indication on it that it would work at 220V.
Just that one that ships with the Bolt. Nothing on it indicates that you can plug it into 220V. But mine and many others have theirs plugged into a home made adapter to make it 220V. Works just fine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just that one that ships with the Bolt. Nothing on it indicates that you can plug it into 220V. But mine and many others have theirs plugged into a home made adapter to make it 220V. Works just fine.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said !

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I would be very concerned about running a 240 volt line, lying on the ground, out to your car, at a rental property. I would be concerned with a 120 volt line too. But at least it would probably be code approved. In the case we are talking about here, you would have what appears to be a 120 volt extension cord, left unattended in a public place, that someone could plug a 120 volt device into. Granted, they would be unplugging your EVSE, and using the cord without your permission, but I don't think that would help you in a court of law.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What DucRider said. I think 120V via extension cord would violate the UL listing for the EVSE since it explicitly states in the Bolt manual not to use an extension cord.

·
Registered
326 Posts
What DucRider said. I think 120V via extension cord would violate the UL listing for the EVSE since it explicitly states in the Bolt manual not to use an extension cord.
It think one has to use common sense. The manual is protecting GM from idiots that misuse cords, both electrically and physically. I wouldn't hesitate to use 12ft/12Guage cord.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It think one has to use common sense. The manual is protecting GM from idiots that misuse cords, both electrically and physically. I wouldn't hesitate to use 12ft/12Guage cord.
You all should read the original post - forget the "would be UL or not" :

I would be very concerned about running a 240 volt line, lying on the ground, out to your car, at a rental property. I would be concerned with a 120 volt line too. But at least it would probably be code approved. In the case we are talking about here, you would have what appears to be a 120 volt extension cord, left unattended in a public place, that someone could plug a 120 volt device into. Granted, they would be unplugging your EVSE, and using the cord without your permission, but I don't think that would help you in a court of law.

I wouldn't want to leave a 240V-on-a-120V-plug-type in a public area either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.