Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
That Coleman cable is what I used for mine. Works great...only slight downside is my adapter is pretty short, but I also used a bigger 14-50 end...

View attachment 27151

View attachment 27152
@Gavinmcc - how well does that 14-50 R plug seal to the cable going in to it? Was it difficult to remove the neutral pin from the plug? Mine was a dual purpose 14-30R / 14-50R connector, so the neutral pin was designed to be swapped out. Wondering if yours was molded or glued in, or did it pop right out?

·
Registered
35 Posts
After going to Home Depot and striking out finding the right stuff to make it myself, decided to get the adapter cord the OP posted. Thank you for the info! Love this forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got the adapter cord yesterday and it works like a charm. Really nice quality, super thick gauge wire, and all molded together with no gaps. I'm using it in an outlet originally installed for welding equipment out in my workshop. Nice to have L2 charging available now as an option! Looking forward to being able to preheat the cabin in the winter without sacrificing any battery.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Nice to have L2 charging available now as an option! Looking forward to being able to preheat the cabin in the winter without sacrificing any battery.
It takes real L2 to do that. Understand that you will be getting, at best, 240V x 12 A = 2.88 kW charging, and preheating your cabin can use much more...up to 7.5 kW. So you most likely will be using some battery, just not as much

·
Registered
35 Posts
It takes real L2 to do that. Understand that you will be getting, at best, 240V x 12 A = 2.88 kW charging, and preheating your cabin can use much more...up to 7.5 kW. So you most likely will be using some battery, just not as much
Touche. Amend to "Looking forward to being able to preheat the cabin in the winter without sacrificing as much battery."

I'm not using the stock EVSE though... I'm using a Duosida L2 16A unit. Is there an easy way for me to monitor the charging rate? What is normally a 10 hour charge on 110 took me less than 3 last night.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Touche. Amend to "Looking forward to being able to preheat the cabin in the winter without sacrificing as much battery."

I'm not using the stock EVSE though... I'm using a Duosida L2 16A unit. Is there an easy way for me to monitor the charging rate? What is normally a 10 hour charge on 110 took me less than 3 last night.
OK. The Bolt will allow 16 amp charging with 240 volt, so you should see 3.8 kW charging. I am confused. It looks your EVSE is sold with a NEMA 6-20 plug. Is that what yours has? If so, how does the 10-30 Plug Male to Household 5-15 adapter held you?

You can see your energy use within a half kW on the DIC, if you power up the car while charging. If you turn off the lights, fan/climate controls,and radio, you are pretty much left with charging power in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK. The Bolt will allow 16 amp charging with 240 volt, so you should see 3.8 kW charging. I am confused. It looks your EVSE is sold with a NEMA 6-20 plug. Is that what yours has? If so, how does the 10-30 Plug Male to Household 5-15 adapter held you?

You can see your energy use within a half kW on the DIC, if you power up the car while charging. If you turn off the lights, fan/climate controls,and radio, you are pretty much left with charging power in.
Looks like it's sold in a bunch of configurations. Mine is just the household 5-15 3-prong plug, which is why I needed the NEMA 10-30 to 5-15 adapter wire the OP listed.

Thanks for the discussion as well. Really appreciate it. I'll try that trick to turn it on and monitor the DIC. I didn't realize it would display incoming power.... so it will look similar to what I see while moving and using the regen?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Reporting back that my new $50 adapter works great btw. Just received it a few days ago. I love that there are cheaper solutions than spending 1k + on an EVSE solution. Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Reporting back that my new $50 adapter works great btw. Just received it a few days ago. I love that there are cheaper solutions than spending 1k + on an EVSE solution. Thanks everyone for your input.
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Tesla mobile gen 2 EVSE will do 240V @ 32A and costs $275.

You do have to buy a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter to use it, but we bought one of those anyway, so we could charge at a Tesla station.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Some info on difference between the Gen2 Mobile Connector and the Corded Connector...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
12 Participants
p7wang
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing