Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are adaptors that will let you use a Tesla Destination charger; Tesla Tap, etc.
But I don't think there are any adaptors that will let a Bolt use a Tesla Supercharger.
Ok what about the adapter for just using a standard tesla charger I am hoping to go from Chicago to ft Myers Florida and need all the help I can get.
Jim

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,565 Posts
Ok what about the adapter for just using a standard tesla charger I am hoping to go from Chicago to ft Myers Florida and need all the help I can get.
Jim
The JDapter was the original. That is what we bought back in 2018 to work with our Tesla Gen II EVSE, at home, and on the road. It is a bit bulky, but it works fine.

This is the company that originally made parts for QG Charge, but went off on their own.

There are several more now making much more compact molded units.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would say forget luck, and make a solid plan for the drive.

You cannot charge at a Tesla Supercharger. But if you have a Tesla destination charger on the route that adapter will cost $159. Hardly a good return on investment.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,658 Posts
Jim
You actually don't. There are well more than enough non-Tesla fast charging stations along that route that you'll be fine.

As I'm sure others have posted by now, the goto tool for EV road trips is abetterrouteplanner.com which will give you options in terms of where to charge. I would advise that you look for a hotel/motel with a charging station so that you can charge back to 100% before getting back on the road for the second day.

You will have to find your own rhythm in terms of driving/charging ratio. Some folks have the personality where sitting more than 15 to 20 minutes just drives them nuts. If that's you, then plan to have more short charging stops. It doesn't bother me (or fortunately my wife) so we tend to sit and get longer charges over fewer stations.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
965 Posts
Tesla superchargers need to talk to the vehicle to allow charging, as of right now they cannot communicate with non Tesla vehicles here in the USA. Maybe when Tesla opens them up to other vehicles like they promised, but knowing Tesla’s promises it may be a while before it comes true.
As others have said the adaptors only work with the destination chargers at a level 2 charging rate.

Reactions: Terry Hancock

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The issues are those of Tesla charger software not accepting non Tesla vehicles. There are adapters but only for destinations charging at level 2
Thank You
The issues are those of Tesla charger software not accepting non Tesla vehicles. There are adapters but only for destinations charging at level 2
Thank You.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are adaptors that will let you use a Tesla Destination charger; Tesla Tap, etc.
But I don't think there are any adaptors that will let a Bolt use a Tesla Supercharger.
I don't Think I can Make it to Fort Myers Beach on # 2 chargers at Lunch At night OK.
I am on it Think you.
Jim

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I purchased that adapter too and tested it day one on way to work. On short test it performed as expected.
Keep it in trunk. They make smaller ones too. Always see them on auction sites.

The new Magical Tesla CCS chargers are supposed to be going in near the Texas Tesla factory.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you really want one, go for it. So long as you realize it doesn't work at superchargers. They are good for hotels, restaurants, and shopping malls that have Tesla destination chargers. I like/own the 48 amp Lectron, which is the compact one seen at the bottom of GJETSON's post (#5) above. It takes up a lot less room than the older style.

Wheel Car Plant Tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I purchased that adapter too and tested it day one on way to work. On short test it performed as expected.
Keep it in trunk. They make smaller ones too. Always see them on auction sites.

The new Magical Tesla CCS chargers are supposed to be going in near the Texas Tesla factory.
I ordered it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just to make absolutely clear, a Tesla Destination Charger is still just a 240 VAC Level 2, not anything faster. Currently there is no way to connect a CCS equipped car like a Chevy Bolt to a Tesla Super Charger, but that is supposed to be coming someday. With the existing CCS DC fast charge networks your trip looks very doable. According to ABetterRoutePlanner.com you can make this trip in about twenty-one hours driving and seven and half hours charging, 12 stops, most about 40 minutes. It looks like mostly ElectrifyAmerica, EVGO, and ChargePoint. Unless you are planning an overnight stop at a hotel with a Tesla Destination Charger I don’t see much utility in the adapter.
BTW, I had to open A Better Route Planner in Microsoft Edge, I couldn’t get it to work in Chrome, but it used to.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,557 Posts
Jim
Where do you plan to stop overnight? If you want to drive straight through, you won't need to use any Tesla SuperChargers. You'll have 11 charging stops with 8 hours 33 minutes of charging:
ABRP

If you stop overnight twice and charge back to 100% each night in Bowling Green, KY and Cordele, GA, you'll only need 9 charging stops with 5 hours and 47 minutes of charging (excluding the overnight charging in Bowling Green and Cordele).

If you want to stop at bigger cities, you could drive longer on the first two days and stop in Chattanooga, TN and Gainesville, FL, with 9 stops and 5 hours 39 minutes of charging (excluding the overnight charging in Chattanooga and Gainesville):

None of those plans require any use of Tesla SuperChargers (DC fast charging). However, there may be a hotel that has a Tesla Destination Charger (Level 2 AC charging) that you could use overnight.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
446 Posts
I don't Think I can Make it to Fort Myers Beach on # 2 chargers at Lunch At night OK.
Jim,
There are tons of DCFC chargers that are a LOT faster than Tesla Destination Chargers, The Tesla Destination Chargers are Level 2. You are probably wasting your money on an adapter.

Here's a sample route using only the Electrify America charging stations. It will require about 22 hours of driving and 6 hours of charging along the route.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I should have mentioned that they make two models of that adapter. One is 48A and the other is 40A. I noticed that you might be able to actually use the full 48A on a Tesla Destination charger if it is that high. Tesla's tend to be pretty good about more power.

Yes, use a few travel apps like GM's and Plugshare and a better route planner and so forth.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts