Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Adapter

4K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  VoltoBolt 
#1 ·
I have a new Bolt EUV and would like to plug it into a Tesla Fast charger any one have company and model number on one that works.
Jim Umbarger
Umbarger33@comcast.net

#6 ·
I would say forget luck, and make a solid plan for the drive.

You cannot charge at a Tesla Supercharger. But if you have a Tesla destination charger on the route that adapter will cost $159. Hardly a good return on investment.

#36 ·
But if you have a Tesla destination charger on the route that adapter will cost $159. Hardly a good return on investment.
Most hotels that offer EV charging are often either just or mostly Tesla destination chargers.

The ROI on not having to search out an overnight charge after a long drive is the first time you use it AFAIC.

I have a Teslatap mini and a J1772 extension cable for just such occasions. The first time I stayed at the Peppermill in Reno, I found an available Tesla charger out of 4 available, and one occupied and one DNW J1772 chargers.

#8 ·
Tesla superchargers need to talk to the vehicle to allow charging, as of right now they cannot communicate with non Tesla vehicles here in the USA. Maybe when Tesla opens them up to other vehicles like they promised, but knowing Tesla’s promises it may be a while before it comes true.
As others have said the adaptors only work with the destination chargers at a level 2 charging rate.

Reactions: Terry Hancock
#14 ·
I purchased that adapter too and tested it day one on way to work. On short test it performed as expected.
Keep it in trunk. They make smaller ones too. Always see them on auction sites.

The new Magical Tesla CCS chargers are supposed to be going in near the Texas Tesla factory.

#15 ·
If you really want one, go for it. So long as you realize it doesn't work at superchargers. They are good for hotels, restaurants, and shopping malls that have Tesla destination chargers. I like/own the 48 amp Lectron, which is the compact one seen at the bottom of GJETSON's post (#5) above. It takes up a lot less room than the older style.

Wheel Car Plant Tire Vehicle

Reactions: GJETSON
#17 ·
Just to make absolutely clear, a Tesla Destination Charger is still just a 240 VAC Level 2, not anything faster. Currently there is no way to connect a CCS equipped car like a Chevy Bolt to a Tesla Super Charger, but that is supposed to be coming someday. With the existing CCS DC fast charge networks your trip looks very doable. According to ABetterRoutePlanner.com you can make this trip in about twenty-one hours driving and seven and half hours charging, 12 stops, most about 40 minutes. It looks like mostly ElectrifyAmerica, EVGO, and ChargePoint. Unless you are planning an overnight stop at a hotel with a Tesla Destination Charger I don’t see much utility in the adapter.
BTW, I had to open A Better Route Planner in Microsoft Edge, I couldn’t get it to work in Chrome, but it used to.

#20 ·
I should have mentioned that they make two models of that adapter. One is 48A and the other is 40A. I noticed that you might be able to actually use the full 48A on a Tesla Destination charger if it is that high. Tesla's tend to be pretty good about more power.

Yes, use a few travel apps like GM's and Plugshare and a better route planner and so forth.

#21 · (Edited)
I also carry the AeroVironment TurboCord (small footprint) which allows for both 120v/240v charging and some 240v adapters so that I can charge at any 240v outlet that I encounter.

This comes in handy where only 120v is available (albeit slow) or any type of 240v outlet is available such as a dryer or RV outlet.

Any port in a storm!

Attachments

#32 ·
I also have a portable level 2 with both plug adapters. It’s made by Shell. It’s seems pretty robust and is rated at 40 amps. I also carry a Tesla to J1772 adapter rated for 60amps for destination charging. Just to be prepared for whatever.

#24 ·
I had a conversation with a Tesla owner a couple of weeks ago, and she mentioned she has never used the SuperCharger network or even any public charging at all. She only charges at home. She had some questions about using the SuperCharger network and about a Tesla adapter to access J-1772 Level 2s, which I only know a little about, but did show interest in trying some longer trips. I suggested she simply make a little day trip to a location with a SuperCharger, charge and return just as practice. Go a short enough distance that in the event of a problem she would have enough range to get home again without charging. I would suggest the same to any EV owner contemplating their first road trip. Try it when it isn’t a challenge and see what it is actually like. Get comfortable with it, then go from there.

#29 ·
I had a conversation with a Tesla owner a couple of weeks ago, and she mentioned she has never used the SuperCharger network or even any public charging at all. She only charges at home. She had some questions about using the SuperCharger network and about a Tesla adapter to access J-1772 Level 2s, which I only know a little about...
I just rented a Tesla 3 for one week while my Bolt EV was getting its new battery rebuild.

The rental Tesla came with a small J1772 to Tesla adapter that snapped on to the end of my Clipper Creek L2 home charger and allowed me to use home charging overnight for the Tesla.

I did Supercharge once, the night of the first rental day, since it came with only 52% charged and I used it for Uber driving down to 20% and then Supercharged it up to 74% before I ended the night with more driving and charged it at home.

#30 ·
What is the current formula for fast charging efficiency with a Bolt? I seem to recall it is something like start each day at 100% charge, drive to 30 percent then fast charge to no more than 80 percent then hit the road again. That would suggest first stop at about 150-175 miles, charge to about 80 percent then go about 115-125 miles on subsequent legs. Is that too conservative or too optimistic?

#31 ·
Try to get a few rfid cards before you go. I've found them to maybe be the most reliable way to start a charge. If you are not in a hurry you can always consider slower roads in the direction of your travel. I take a slower road rather than risk a long no charger interstate. I've entered the final city of electron fumes. Thank goodness some new DC chargers installed at Mercedes and Hyundai.

#33 ·
"fast charging efficiency with a Bolt"

If possible I'd start at 100% then according to another members metrics drive faster instead of slower. Then one could go to 10-20%. I say that only if you KNOW a working charger is at that point. It might start to charge a bit slowly but quickly return to 50+. Then at some point between 50 and 80 resume.
The problem now is that many people can't plan a route to lower numbers. They have to assume trouble and charge early and charge higher. If you have time at some stop I guess you could dc charge up to 70-80 and the L2 it back to 100.

#38 · (Edited)
Here is a EVSE that comes with 8 adapters

Only 700$ ?? Wow only.

Click bait

How can you need 8? It did take me 30 minutes to find the adapter I needed for a trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.