Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think it would be possible to add the two rear charge ports to an LT trim? Logic would dictate that to streamline production that the wiring and plug(s) for those rear USB ports would be there in the console guts regardless of trim and it would be a matter of getting the rear console piece with the rear ports and just plug that in.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,714 Posts
Not everyone wants/needs all the features that constitute the upgrade trim package. Chevy wants to create a balance that will entice people to spend more money (make more profit) and so puts a little of this and a little of that. Hence, rear USBs in the Premier package.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You may need the service manual to figure out where the USB charger wires are, though I assume you'll have to take apart the center arm rest section to get to it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think there's a very good chance there's a 12v connector somewhere in the LT's center console that's meant for the rear USBs on a Premier. Like Bazinga said, where is the question and the manual would be the safest way to find it. Otherwise, I'd open it up and explore. You'll probably find an unconnected plug or socket, test it with a multimeter with the car on, and then you'll have your answer. Manufacturing the wiring harnesses would be really cost and time inefficient to make a different one for the LT and the Premier. I've seen this same scenario in vehicles with a towing package option; even if you don't select it, the wiring is still there to connect the appropriate trailer light converter and brake controller after the fact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had the same thought. I wanted wireless charging more. Based on my research you need to change the center console out to the premier model one which give you wireless charging. The part is available but is $650.

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
make sure you step down the voltage - USB is 5V, not 12.
Yes, I didn't include this in the "look-for"s, I'm guessing the rear USB ports have the 12v to 5v built into the unit. I'm sure this part is going to be very spendy for what it is. But, it would look a lot cleaner than the cheaper option of using a car USB hub.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,714 Posts
Yes, I didn't include this in the "look-for"s, I'm guessing the rear USB ports have the 12v to 5v built into the unit. I'm sure this part is going to be very spendy for what it is. But, it would look a lot cleaner than the cheaper option of using a car USB hub.
Some of those "charge only" USB hubs are very cute (and colorful). Multiple devices will charge more slowly, but a 1-to-2 with a short lead cord might well work for the back seat passengers. I am not sure if you can use them in a "communicating" USB. Any enlightenment out there?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
937 Posts
Some of those "charge only" USB hubs are very cute (and colorful). Multiple devices will charge more slowly, but a 1-to-2 with a short lead cord might well work for the back seat passengers. I am not sure if you can use them in a "communicating" USB. Any enlightenment out there?
The rear ports that are in the premier are just charging ports so I would expect the wire harness to only have a power line the same as the premier has, assuming they use the same wiring harness, which is quite likely.

If you wanted data connection to the car to the rear you could run a usb hub to the rear. That would only be useful though if you wanted to play music or something from another device in the rear of the car and it would probably be better just to have a long enough usb cord and just run that from the front ports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just buy this and look for a 12v wiring in the car. I have 3 of these in my Prius, on my trunk I tap on the trunk light. Don't be a baby to drill a hole in the panel, this socket will conver it and it will look clean after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts