Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the horrible seat that causes my leg to go numb after an hour of driving I threw on a seat cushion which has helped. The only problem is now I feel disconnected from the car and I'm too tall for the rearview mirror. I'm going to either take apart the seat to add more foam myself or pay an upholster company to do it.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adding padding on the inside of the seat (to preserve factory look) is easy on the bottom cushion and not too bad for the seatback. Here's a thread I started on the matter that includes some how-to videos. I found it well worthwhile.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/226-interior/13810-front-seat-fix.html
Thanks, I've seen that video and it's something I'm considering. I'm not the craftiest guy though so I'm giving GM the opportunity to fix it. Talking with them now.

Also if anybody is interested here is a petition to try to get them to address this:
https://www.change.org/p/general-motors-fix-the-chevy-bolt-s-front-seats

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Didn't even know there was a petition for the seat, but I doubt the NHTSA will issue a recall since it's not really safety related. Just a literal pain in the ass.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Due to the horrible seat that causes my leg to go numb after an hour of driving I threw on a seat cushion which has helped. The only problem is now I feel disconnected from the car and I'm too tall for the rear view mirror. I'm going to either take apart the seat to add more foam myself or pay an upholster company to do it.
Hi everyone, saw a contribution on one of the forum sites where the Bolt owner folded an old pair of jeans, put that on the seat, and topped it with a ventilated pad. So, thought I would try out a version of that. I folded an old, thinnish bath towel and put that in the depressed part of the driver's seat so that one edge went all the way back to the seat back. The folded towel covers most of the depressed part of the seat. Then topped it with a Smart Direct Coccyx Care Memory Foam Seat Cushion for Car (though I am sure a thin, similar pad would work as well). This takes away the 'dig in' effect of the frame on the upper thigh for me. The trick seems to be not too thick on either the towel or the covering pad. I do not feel disconnected from seat/car and the almost pain is gone. This is, of course, a silly thing to have to do at all, but it is a solution to the discomfort, at least for me. Hope some of you find that it works for you as well.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm the one that cheaped-out and used an old pair of jeans. I was basing off others in various forums. For me, the seat discomfort was all about the side bolsters on the seat digging into my butt cheeks and thighs. Once I leveled-off the middle of the seat so that side bolsters wouldn't dig into me, everything just worked. I too was somewhat worried about a spongy seat cushion so I opted to use old jeans that don't compress when folded but don't feel rock-hard. The ventilated/cooling seat cover was one I purchased for my old 2017 Volt to minimize energy usage during hot days. It has no padding whatsoever and feels about the same consistency as the jeans themselves. By leveling off the seat and using the cooling seat cover to mute any harsh edges, I was able to make the driver's seat comfortable. All for $0 additional costs since I was going to use the ventilated seat cover anyway cause I liked the extra butt/back cooling on hot days when I sweat.

Glad to see someone else could reduce the discomfort with folded-up cloths!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts