Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This wasn't my idea. I followed a FB post from user William Anzueto to modify a set of Cadillac XT5 crossbars (GM p/n 84121220) to fit my Bolt.

After removing the post from the bar on one side (2 bolts), I cut ~85mm off from one side only (the original post stated ~40-45mm from each side). I then slid the bar back into the post and marked up the positions of the new holes with a Sharpie. I re-drilled the bar with 2 x ~5mm holes but didn't have the appropriate anchor rivets for the bolts, so I used nylon locking stainless nuts (this part was the hardest... in retrospect I should have glued them to the inside of the bar then thread the bolts in).

IMG_0943 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0936 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0940 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0941 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0946 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0949 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0952 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0953 by tk_1971, on Flickr

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just did this over the weekend as well. I used a self tapping machine screw (one) for each side in the larger hole; its just a set screw. I bought some gorilla glue but decided against it mainly because I did see a complete mating surface. I found it interesting that the rear crossbar width is a bit shorter than the front. I found the cross bar cuts much easier to make with an angle grinder; I did the first with a sawzall and the second with the angle grinder. The other thing is that the mounting brackets are completely metal, very stout, and somewhat heavy. I'm not sure what the Thule or Yakima versions would be but I'm almost certain they would lighter weight. I mean this rack is meant for XT5 so it's very robust.

Hey I like that BackCountry sticker on your rearview mirror! And nice job, btw!

·
Registered
368 Posts
OMFG! I am such a gullible git! They got me to part with $535 for the Thule kits! ��. Yes kits. Plural. Took me an hour and a half to figure out the picture directions for assembly and installation. The end result is of course solid and functional, but no where near as elegant and factory looking as your solution! And it's cheap to boot! Fer chrissake, why the devil didn't Chevy just do this exact thing??

Good on you for figuring this out and sharing with the rest of us!!

HELLO CHEVROLET! YOU SEEING THIS???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
OMFG! I am such a gullible git! They got me to part with $535 for the Thule kits! ��. Yes kits. Plural. Took me an hour and a half to figure out the picture directions for assembly and installation. The end result is of course solid and functional, but no where near as elegant and factory looking as your solution! And it's cheap to boot! Fer chrissake, why the devil didn't Chevy just do this exact thing??

Good on you for figuring this out and sharing with the rest of us!!

HELLO CHEVROLET! YOU SEEING THIS???

This vs the solution in the OP
Price aside, I personally like the look of yours better. The Cadillac ones look too narrow on the narrow Bolt. Already think the Bolt looks too narrow and the Cadillac ones just make it more obvious.

·
Super Moderator
2,553 Posts
If the Cadillac bars fit with such simple modification and GM already makes them, I wonder why it is so hard to offer these to Chevrolet? I do agree though, The Thule ones do look a little more useful, but not $400 more useful!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tried to take back the Thule kit, no soap. Even though I haven't used it, the fact I've installed it on the car means it's mine for good. What a gullible git I am! Had I just waited a few more days, I'd have read this post, and I wouldn't be out five bills! Only $275. 8/ Cuz apparently that's what they go for in California. Not your $140. Still, if you want a factory look, I'd do what this bloke did, not what I did.

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,553 Posts
I wonder why Chevrolet didn't give any options as to crossbar locations on the roof rails. It is locked in and they seem pretty narrowly spaced.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts