Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
kayaks on roof

Pretty sweet. Now just remember not to pull into the garage.
Roger that ! I was too lazy to try fitting the cradles that we have on our traverse because I didn't want to take them off the traverse but I'm pretty sure they would work as well. And I'm not going to try and load our 12' kayak on there; it might be longer than the Bolt. You can see the Traverse with the cradles up on top in the thumbnails. It's a real SUV and the Bolt is a wanna be small SUV.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Pretty sweet. Now just remember not to pull into the garage.

I was traveling in Albuquerque, when a loud noise caught my attention: Two very expensive road bikes were being peeled off the roof of a car going into a parking garage nearby.

I backed out of a garage with my driver's door open once. Same feeling in the pit of my stomach as I watched this other guy. His mistake probably cost more than mine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll be putting our 13' tandem kayak up there, with no cradles, upside down. I think it's more aerodynamic that way. I have a cool loader by Sherpack that suction cups onto the rear window that allows me to load that boat onto the car by myself. Lift one end of the boat onto the loader, then roll it up from the other end. It's really slick. Check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
roof rack from xt5

Thanks !! did the same thing and looks great > i have an LT so had to install the roof rails also .
Big job for sure . had to drill eight holes in the roof and drop the head liner .

This wasn't my idea. I followed a FB post from user William Anzueto to modify a set of Cadillac XT5 crossbars (GM p/n 84121220) to fit my Bolt.

After removing the post from the bar on one side (2 bolts), I cut ~85mm off from one side only (the original post stated ~40-45mm from each side). I then slid the bar back into the post and marked up the positions of the new holes with a Sharpie. I re-drilled the bar with 2 x ~5mm holes but didn't have the appropriate anchor rivets for the bolts, so I used nylon locking stainless nuts (this part was the hardest... in retrospect I should have glued them to the inside of the bar then thread the bolts in).

IMG_0943 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0936 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0940 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0941 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0946 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0949 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0952 by tk_1971, on Flickr

IMG_0953 by tk_1971, on Flickr

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks !! did the same thing and looks great > i have an LT so had to install the roof rails also .

Big job for sure . had to drill eight holes in the roof and drop the head liner .

Got any pics of the install process? Just curious to see under the headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow, you had to install the longitudinal roof rails too? That takes some guts. Good for you! Nice job, looks great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love these roof racks. So much nicer than what the "OEM" ones looked like, and at less than a 3rd of the price. Bolting the cut ends on took some doing. I don't see how anyone was able to get a regular bolt and nut to work. I tried gluing the nut in place, but it just wouldn't stay with the amount of force required, especially a locking nut. I went with drilling a pilot hole into the cut bar and then screwing in a lag screw. I think it was a quarter inch. You can see the bolt(s) on either side if you are looking for them, but don't really call attention to themselves on their own.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just cut the one that were made for the Cadillac and they fit my Bolt beautifully!. Thanks for posting the very cool tip ! ! And using a self tapping screw on each side is not a big deal. Sturdy as a bull!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went with drilling a pilot hole into the cut bar and then screwing in a lag screw. I think it was a quarter inch. You can see the bolt(s) on either side if you are looking for them, but don't really call attention to themselves on their own.
Did you cut both sides? I just cut one side and used a self tapper screw on the other side.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yes, exactly. I didn't see the need to cut both sides. I did notice that the front is longer than the rear before I cut them (thanks GOD for that ;). They both fit really nice and tight and they looks GREAT just like yours except my bolt is blue :). They really look like they were made for the Bolt and half the price of that ugly OEM ones. The two self tapping screws are super tight. What an excellent tip and THANK YOU to whomever found and posted it. Here's two pics one side with the stainless steel (won't corrode) self tapping screws and the other original side. Haven't had to use them yet, but am ready. Now I gotta go spec out a 1.5KA 12v inverter for when the lights go out :) My wife now wants to drive my Bolt instead of her Toyota Sienna . . . . got find a nice way around this lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier
9 Posts
Thanks for this post. I picked up a set of racks for the Cadillac and installed them over the weekend. I did a few things different though which I'll highlight here:
1. Marked with tape on the crossbar where the bar enters the mounting feet on the drive side.
2. Removed the drive side end of each rack and mounted the foot onto roof rail. Then positioned the rack on the car and marked with a sharpie where the cross bar lines up with the entrance of the mounting feet.
3. Added the depth of the crossbar from the start of the tape to end of the bar, and then cut at that point.
4. Mounted the crossbars and feet onto the car, and used a sharpie to mark the entire bolt area to attach the feet to the bars.
5. Removed bars and driver + passenger side feet
5. Used a center punch to mark two drill points in the sharpie area. Drilled the holes out
6. Used a tap set to make a M6 1.0 thread into the crossbars.
7. Pulled rubber strip out and slid on driver side foot. Screwed in first factory M6 mounting bolt into furthest hole until flush inside the bar and slid all the way to end of bar.
8. Slid in M6 wing nut and positioned over hole with bolt in it. Then proceeded to tighten bolt. Wing nut fits into channel but will not rotate. If bolt becomes hard to move take wing nut out and turn it around. Wing nut will tighten down with the bolt coming through bottom giving you maximum tightness
9. Repeat with second bolt.
10. Attach driver side foot but only loosely.
11. Mount roof rack to car on driver side, tighten, then attach passenger side. One foot is mounted to rail, tighten the crossbar bolts.

I hope those instructions make sense. I don't have much faith in self tapping screws, and this way you get a thread onto the crossbar and an extra lock within it from the wing nut (plus you get to use factory hardware). I was planning on taking photos while I did it but got caught up in the moment. Photos of the finished product:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I stumbled upon another option for factory roof rack crossbars. Like a lot of others here, I was unwilling to shell out $500 to $700 for a yakima or thule rack system when the Bolt EV roof rails were clearly designed for a simple 8 bolt solution. My neighbor went that route and I personally don't care for the way the aftermarket mounts sticks up so high above the roof. While searching for a bike rack on craigslist up popped a set of GMC 2017 Acadia roof rails (Part # 84456361). From the picture the bolt pattern looked about right and I figured it being a GMC increased the likelihood of a match. I got them for $50 bucks and sure enough the towers bolted right on. Then things got even better. The rear towers are slightly taller than the fronts to level the rails for the curve of the Acadia roofline. Again a perfect match. Now for a really remarkable coincidence. Although both front and rear rails from the Acadia are a bit wider than the Bolt EV, they do share the same design in that the fronts are wider than the rears. The coincidence is that the narrower rear rail from the Acadia fit the wider front on the Bolt. So I switched the rails and half of my project was done. All I had left to do was cut about 3.25" off the remaining extruded-aluminum rail and then drill, tap, and replace the two retaining screws (10-32NF tap and a #21 drill bit). It took about twenty minutes start to finish. The towers are super beefy and the rails have the same aerodynamic shape of the expensive Yakima and Thule version. I've taken it over 75 mph and there is no noticeable wind noise coming from the rack. The only drawback that I can see is that it is a narrow roof and therefor you will be limited in how many things you will have room to mount. Then again you will never bang your head on the extended rails.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That looks great! Far superior to the Thule set I paid way too much for. Nice job.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Pfft! It's like it was MADE for it or something!🙄 Very slick. Why the **** doesn't Chevy just do what you guys have been doing, and SELL US THESE instead of the over priced Thule thing they force you to buy if you want a rack for your $40,000 automobile you just bought? With all the extras, I might add. And they charge you $600 for two aluminum extrusions and four anchors. 🙄 Really wishing I'd told them to shove the Thule and done what you did. 🧟‍♂️

21 - 40 of 65 Posts