Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those look almost like mine, because my Bolt is blue ;). I cut the Cadillac ones down to size adn they fit like a glove. Seldom use them but when I do they are solid. There's a post somewhere on this website about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could you give me the link where you bought them, is that on eBay there are several options, but they can be copies, in advance thank you very much!
I got mine locally from a craigslist seller. There appear to be some on EBay for around $100. Search for "GMC 2017 Acadia roof rails (Part # 84456361)". Earlier models of the Acadia use a different crossbar and rack system on a sliding track - those won't work. If you look them up by the part number, you will see the actual GMC OEM listing with good pictures to compare with Ebay. I also would check wrecking yards by searching for a 2017 or 2018 GMC Acadia and you might luck into a wreck that had roof rails. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looks perfect. Price is right. Beats the s*** out of the $600 Thule setup Chevy forced me to buy.🙄

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier
9 Posts
What do you think about these? Top Roof Rack for Chevrolet Bolt EV 2016-19 Silver Baggage Luggage Cross Bar | eBay
Similar price but no cutting. Aftermarket ofc. Anyone tried these? They seem to use clamps (not bolts) to hold onto rails?? Cant understand from pictures
I'd be concerned that they don't actually fit. All the pictures of the racks on a car are not a Bolt. The only photo of a Bolt is the first one, but right above it is a photo of a car with a gas tank, haha. But on that note I saw a Bolt drive by with a rail just like that, so worst case scenario is that you have to cut it to fit. Definitely seems to give you a bit more room up top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm mostly worried that these cheaper clamp-based (i.e. universal) racks will one day fly off the roof with my cargo - read some bad stories online...

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are handy, you can order the cadillac ones and cut them down. that's what I did and they fit beautifully and look great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are handy, you can order the cadillac ones and cut them down. that's what I did and they fit beautifully and look great!
Yeah that I already figured by reading the post. I have various options. Prices are what I see right now on ebay. Colors are [mounts] + [bars]:
Cadillac XT5 - clones from $85 (silver + silver), official from $220 (black + silver)
Acadia - official from $140 (black + black)
Bolt - clamp-style compatibles from $110 (silver + silver), official $520 (black + silver)

I've got a white body so as much as I wanted to get all-whites, these seem to not exist at all; But silver is ok. Therefore I tend towards Cadillac clones or official ones as they are at least part silver, while Acadia's it all black.

Are there any official options for other cars with mounts compatible with bolt which are all silver?

·
Registered
10 Posts
[QUOTE = "donaldtico, publicación: 544270, miembro: 33587"]
¿Podría darme el enlace donde los compró, es que en eBay hay varias opciones, pero pueden ser copias, de antemano muchas gracias!
Hecho, muchas gracias por la idea, compré algunos de GM Arcadia, los corté y el trabajo un poco más complejo fue poner algunas tuercas de remache, ya que los agujeros coincidían con los de los rieles. Estaban súper bien unidos, a alta velocidad no se percibe ningún ruido de turbulencia. Saludos desde Costa Rica, Pura Vida!

Así es como MAGNETO

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Looks perfect. Price is right. Beats the s*** out of the $600 Thule setup Chevy forced me to buy.🙄
I paid for a set of those - they are pricey but I really like how easy it is to install and remove the crossbars. And because they overhang the mounting towers it means I can fit two kayaks on the roof. It also gives me the potential to buy another set of just the bars rigged with different fittings so that it's super easy to swap between being able to carry my kayaks and something else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GMC 2017 Acadia roof rails (Part # 84456361). From the picture the bolt pattern looked about right and I figured it being a GMC increased the likelihood of a match. I got them for $50 bucks and sure enough the towers bolted right on. Then things got even better. The rear towers are slightly taller than the fronts to level the rails for the curve of the Acadia roofline. Again a perfect match. Now for a really remarkable coincidence. Although both front and rear rails from the Acadia are a bit wider than the Bolt EV, they do share the same design in that the fronts are wider than the rears. The coincidence is that the narrower rear rail from the Acadia fit the wider front on the Bolt. So I switched the rails and half of my project was done. All I had left to do was cut about 3.25" off the remaining extruded-aluminum rail and then drill, tap, and replace the two retaining screws (10-32NF tap and a #21 drill bit). It took about twenty minutes start to finish
I got a set of the Acadia cross-bars today...I still need two cut the longer bar to fit the rear but the Acadia rear fits the Bolt front perfectly. My next door neighbor owns a machine shop so I might try and have him replicate the pressed in anchors.

I bought these: For 2017 GMC Acadia Genuine GM Roof Rack Cross Rail Package 84456361 US Stock | eBay

FYI. If you would prefer a bit of overhang, my other next door neighbor has a 2020 GMC Terrane (Same as Chevy Equinox) with OEM cross-bars that overhang with span dimensions that are the same as the Acadia spans. One would not need to cut the bars, just reposition the bolts. Disadvantages are that the bars would not be even on each side or front to bak and the bars are bolted to the tops (not inserted) into the risers and they cost about $50.00 more than the Acadia bars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah that I already figured by reading the post. I have various options. Prices are what I see right now on ebay. Colors are [mounts] + [bars]:
Cadillac XT5 - clones from $85 (silver + silver), official from $220 (black + silver)
Acadia - official from $140 (black + black)
Bolt - clamp-style compatibles from $110 (silver + silver), official $520 (black + silver)

I've got a white body so as much as I wanted to get all-whites, these seem to not exist at all; But silver is ok. Therefore I tend towards Cadillac clones or official ones as they are at least part silver, while Acadia's it all black.

Are there any official options for other cars with mounts compatible with bolt which are all silver?
I don't have an answer to the above, but I am in a similar situation. New owner of a white 2020 Bolt Premium. Did the roof rail bolt spacing change at all for the 2020, and will the above solutions still work? I get a bolt spacing on my 2020 Bolt as 4.5 inches.

Also, can anyone weigh in on the relative clearance between the underside of the crossbars and the roof between the XT5 and Acadia crossbar solutions? I have some Yakima accessories I want to use, and it looks like they might be a little tight from the photos? In addition, if anyone has picked up the aftermarket clamp on style crossbars, can they comment on how sturdy them seem once attached?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
45 Posts
I wanted to do the Cadillac crossbars even ordered them but I had a last minute road trip and ended up with a Thule set ,since I don’t like the the one that sticks out My local Thule dealer had what I needed in stock so ended up buying the Thule Aeroblade Edge Flush Mount S with podium kit 3168.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have an answer to the above, but I am in a similar situation. New owner of a white 2020 Bolt Premium. Did the roof rail bolt spacing change at all for the 2020, and will the above solutions still work? I get a bolt spacing on my 2020 Bolt as 4.5 inches.

Also, can anyone weigh in on the relative clearance between the underside of the crossbars and the roof between the XT5 and Acadia crossbar solutions? I have some Yakima accessories I want to use, and it looks like they might be a little tight from the photos? In addition, if anyone has picked up the aftermarket clamp on style crossbars, can they comment on how sturdy them seem once attached?

Thanks!
For anyone else looking, I went ahead and ordered the 2017 GMC Acadia crossbars for my 2020 Bolt EV Premier and it worked out pretty much as Roline said above. I used a hacksaw and removed 3.25 inches from the longer bar (originally for the front of the Acadia), drilled in holes in the right spot and secured it with stainless self-tapping screws. I also used blue Loctite on all the underside screws to make sure they stay put, and immediately secured them on the car so the cured in the right position. These bars have slots for the underside screws, so there is some tolerance for getting the rail mounts to conform to the rails, which angle in slightly at the rear. I also had to get new screws for the underside, as those provided in the kit were strangely too short to secure the bar, It is possible that these were not real OEM bars. The clearance under the crossbars is about 2 inches in front and only 1.5 inches in the rear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks very sleek. It must be time-consuming to remove them? I would imagine that leaving them on all the time costs mileage and is noisy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks very sleek. It must be time-consuming to remove them? I would imagine that leaving them on all the time costs mileage and is noisy.
I took it out today for local driving, up to 50 mph, and no detectable wind noise from the bars. They are also super sturdy. I will update if that changes on interstate speeds.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
45 Posts
Guys , the crossbars alone will not affect efficiency, the loss is insignificant if any. that said once you attach stuff to them you will.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would anticipate a 5 to 10% decrease in measurable efficiency. I converted the cadillac ones and don't recall how much efficiency was lost when I tested it but I kind of recall around 8%. Am too lazy to try now . . .

41 - 60 of 65 Posts