Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So....I had to take all of my door panels off to check the speaker connections, due to my paranoia of a faint sound I keep hearing (the speakers are fine) and I decided, why not add some Dynamat?? Sure! I covered the inside and outer shell of all 4 doors. This literally took almost all day. Probably close to like 6+ hours. But man, it was worth it. When I close the doors, I immediately notice a quieter cabin. Ambient noise kind if fades. It's very nice and no vibrations with louder volumes. Might be all in my head, but the acoustics seem to have more depth now too. Audio sounds cleaner.

Anyway, there is of course a lot of road noise still when hitting faster speeds. That's normal unless you gut an entire car and cover everything. No way I'm doing that. I wish I would have ran decibel tests before and after though. I also added some Dynamat to the hood as well. I'll probably do the trunk/floor area where it's bare metal.

Overall, I am very pleased. It's a big pain in the you know what (getting the door panels back on is the worst part), but totally worth it!

Anybody else add Dynamat material to your bolt? If so, where did you apply it? And any noticable improvements?

·
Registered
994 Posts
FWIW, after several switches back and forth, I noticed the BMW i3 is quieter than the Bolt and some of the noise did seem to be coming through the Bolt doors.

jack vines

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are there any instructions around on how to remove the door panels?
I actually have the Crutchfield mastersheet. It has instructions for the panels, radio, etc...however, somebody posted instructions on this forum. I can try to find the link. Those instructions also stated to replace the 5 clips on the top of each panel that holds the rubber strip. It says this for any time you take off the panels. I have removed all 4, twice ...and also put them back on without any issues. No need to replace those clips. It's just a real pain putting the panels back on.

It's actually very simple to take the panels off though. Two screws hold each door on, and then have plastic clips around the bottom frame. First bolt is behind the plastic cover by each door handle, and the second is in the arm rest handle hidden by a circle plastic cover. They are 7mm hex screws. After removed, just pry from the bottom to release all (9?) plastic clips. Panel just pops off. And of course, you disconnect the window plug and handle lock cable. Very simple. Pry off the bottom with a plastic prying tool... definitely not metal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shortly after I got my Bolt (almost two years ago) I lined my four doors on the inside of the outer wall and also a layer over the vapor barrier - under the plastic inside panel. The doors feel more solid and road noise is reduced. It made a huge improvement to bass performance of the speakers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention... as much insulation as I added, the heat and AC work better! I takes quite a bit longer for the car to warm/cool to ambient temperature than before the upgrade.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Done - just the inside of the external sheet-metal.
Tapping anywhere on the outside of the doors with a knuckle now sounds very dead, and when closing the door it now has the feel of some weight to it.
It's lowered the tire-noise frequency band by about an octave, and shuts out quite a lot of noise from surrounding ICE cars. A surprise was the appreciable muffling of impact noise when going over tar strips/patches/potholes.
Nice upgrade. (Cheap if you DIY.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats!! Yes, it definitely makes a difference. And installation is not for the faint of heart either. Getting someone to do it was a wise choice. I want to also line my trunk, as I have leftover panels, but I don't know if that'd make any difference. Meh, I'll do it anyway probably soon when I have time. All in all, insulating is a very good improvement for not just ambient noise, but also audio quality. /forum/images/ChevyBolt/smilies/tango_face_smile.png

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was able to replace the stock door speakers by just popping off the bottom clips...i was unable to get the top of the door panel off...it either requires a lot of force or some special tool?
Has anyone been able to remove the trim off the rear hatchback??? I'm scared i might break something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to replace the stock door speakers by just popping off the bottom clips...i was unable to get the top of the door panel off...it either requires a lot of force or some special tool?
Has anyone been able to remove the trim off the rear hatchback??? I'm scared i might break something.
I've taken all 4 door panels off twice. It does require a lot of force, as there are clips holding the top part/weather strip, but it can be done with a lot of patience! And maybe luck? I was scared I'd break something though. Honestly, I think these panels are supposed to have the top clips replaced after anytime the panel is fully removed. I believe I seen that somewhere in a manual for door removal. However, my doors are good. Just a big pain in the butt. Also, what are you referring to exactly about the rear hatchback panel? Are you wanting to add Dynamat there?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've taken all 4 door panels off twice. It does require a lot of force, as there are clips holding the top part/weather strip, but it can be done with a lot of patience! And maybe luck? I was scared I'd break something though. Honestly, I think these panels are supposed to have the top clips replaced after anytime the panel is fully removed. I believe I seen that somewhere in a manual for door removal. However, my doors are good. Just a big pain in the butt. Also, what are you referring to exactly about the rear hatchback panel? Are you wanting to add Dynamat there?
Two thoughts:

1. I had to remove the hatch interior cover on another GM product and it's held on by a dozen plastic clips. A pro helped me and warned to expect to break some of them. "That's why we keep a drawer full."

2. The hatch mechanism is balanced for the weight of the hatch. Adding weight and it's probable there could be issues with it staying up in cold weather.

jack vines

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes i was considering adding dynamat....with 2400 watt rms, there is a lot of ugly vibration(rattling)...especially from the hatch area

·
Registered
60 Posts
How much Dynamat did you use in covering all 4 doors, outside and inner, and the hatch? I think I'd order 20% extra (because I suck) and order 25% of the total number of clips involved from the dealer, unless someone 3rd party sells those bulk as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much Dynamat did you use in covering all 4 doors, outside and inner, and the hatch? I think I'd order 20% extra (because I suck) and order 25% of the total number of clips involved from the dealer, unless someone 3rd party sells those bulk as well.
I purchased 2 Dynamat door kits, which is supposed to be good for 4 doors. I covered the entire inside metal frame and then the outside with barely enough for the 4th outside door. So then I bought an offbrand kit to finish that last area. The offbrand kit came with like 20 panels. Tons of material, so I have plenty leftover. I used some of it to line under the hood as well. Now I'll probably do the metal floor in the hatch. However, I don't think I'm going to take the plastic panels off.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
@One1whaoo. I second the request. How much of a pain to the wallet? I've missed the quieter cabin of the 2017 Volt, hoping if professional dynamat install would be a solution if the price is right.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I paid $375 including material in Portland, OR - a fairly high-cost area. I'd expect an installer in a small town might cost less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts