Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an LT about a week ago. Love it! I noticed that the flush roof rails that come with the Premier are not expensive to buy. Has anyone tried installing them on an LT? There are no holes in the roof or noticeable places to mount the factory roof rails on an LT.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully, that would be nice. I'm guessing it involves drilling holes through the roof so I was hoping someone else had tried it first and could share their experience.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hopefully, that would be nice. I'm guessing it involves drilling holes through the roof so I was hoping someone else had tried it first and could share their experience.
IDK if it requires drilling or if you remove the panel strip to access location provisions :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I suspect that at a minimum, you have to pull off the headliner. I was looking at it and it seems like you'd have to go up through the roof. I didn't see that there was a different roof panel, but perhaps there are anchor points (thin metal) that are visible before it is painted?

Here's the thing I concluded from my research. Chevy does not offer cross bars yet (and if they did, they would probably be rated to 75lb). If you buy the Thule set for the Bolt, you have to specify if you have Premier or LT (I too have LT) and that changes which foot component you need. The only other difference (I vaguely recall) is that the weight limit for the Premier rig is like 100 or 125lbs and the LT rig is 75-80lbs. The retail price for the entire Thule kit (for either trim level) is $509 US.

In the end, I concluded that the rails were basically irrelevant. I'll pick up the roof rack in a few months.. maybe when I find it on sale.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I do machine learning and for fun and profit will put my own Jetson board on top with 4 cameras for navigation experiments. I'll try having local power and using WIFI for communication. All I need now is some streamlined roof rails, The Thule are expensive and bigger than I want.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I do machine learning and for fun and profit will put my own Jetson board on top with 4 cameras for navigation experiments. I'll try having local power and using WIFI for communication. All I need now is some streamlined roof rails, The Thule are expensive and bigger than I want.
Google has this setup already :D I have heard that GM has cross bars available. I have no other info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect that at a minimum, you have to pull off the headliner. I was looking at it and it seems like you'd have to go up through the roof. I didn't see that there was a different roof panel, but perhaps there are anchor points (thin metal) that are visible before it is painted?

Here's the thing I concluded from my research. Chevy does not offer cross bars yet (and if they did, they would probably be rated to 75lb). If you buy the Thule set for the Bolt, you have to specify if you have Premier or LT (I too have LT) and that changes which foot component you need. The only other difference (I vaguely recall) is that the weight limit for the Premier rig is like 100 or 125lbs and the LT rig is 75-80lbs. The retail price for the entire Thule kit (for either trim level) is $509 US.

In the end, I concluded that the rails were basically irrelevant. I'll pick up the roof rack in a few months.. maybe when I find it on sale.
Good points. I may have to carefully pull down the headliner and see what's there in terms of mounting points. There has to be more than just sheet metal holding the rails on the premier.

I like the look of the rails, beside the functionality.

Thule stuff is nice but so over-priced. The rails on the Bolt are the exact same rails found on some other GM vehicles. Its only a matter of time before cheaper alternatives are produced that attach cross bars to the factory rails.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Today I am a proud Bolt owner. Years ago I wanted roof rails on my Pinto. I bought a set from JC Whitney. They were stick on, no bolts or screws required. They were well used and still in place when I sold the car many years later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts