Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone added aftermarket fog lamps or shopped any to be added to your Bolt?
What are the legal requirements of adding fog lamps?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know that no more than 4 white lights may be on at the same time at the front of the vehicle. That's why if you activate high beams on a modern car with OEM fog lights, the fogs turn off. Also, main beams must be on for fog light operation.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
State, and not Federal, regulations govern fog light use. In MD, "lights" must be on when windshield wipers are being used. Also, many drivers ran headlamps during the day. Some dangerous roads required daytime lights. For these reasons, plus because I could put my fog lights on with a separate switch without using main lamps, and because fog lamp replacement was much less expensive than sealed beam headlamps, I used my fog lamps 100% of the time. I never had more than 4 white lights on at the same time at the front of the vehicle, but do not know if Maryland code restricted this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My understanding is that State regulations govern use of the lights. So headlights must be on when raining, fog light use in non adverse weather situations, etc are State regulated. But the vehicles still have to conform to Federal DOT regulations. Specifically Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108.

Note: I will admit I did not bother actually reading that. I was just stating from what I had heard from others. I don't have the energy tonight to actually read it.

·
Banned
350 Posts
They have to be yellow or white (not blue), and cannot create glare to other drivers, i.e. pointed down at the road, not pointed up so others are blinded by them.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
They have to be yellow or white (not blue), and cannot create glare to other drivers, i.e. pointed down at the road, not pointed up so others are blinded by them.
Pointing fog lights up completely defeats their purpose, because then they just light up the fog in front of you making it impossible to see through...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Modern headlight design has made fog lights completely unnecessary. If you look at the the headlamp cut off pattern up on a wall in front of you (garage wall will do) you will see a cut-off no more than 3 feet high. While driving down the road on a foggy night this type of lighting will perform far better then old fashioned fog lights. Besides, most fog are aimed too high anyway. Save your money and improve your driver seat!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just rented a Hyundai i30, and instead of fog lights, it has corner lights that activate based on steering angle - turn right, and the right front corner is illuminated more, turn left and the left is. More useful than fog lights in my opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just rented a Hyundai i30, and instead of fog lights, it has corner lights that activate based on steering angle - turn right, and the right front corner is illuminated more, turn left and the left is. More useful than fog lights in my opinion.
I love curve illumination lights. Very nice, especially turning into dark streets. Everytime I get into a car without one, I wonder for a split second if my headlights are turned on. I wish there is a way to retrofit one into a Bolt.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Modern headlight design has made fog lights completely unnecessary. If you look at the the headlamp cut off pattern up on a wall in front of you (garage wall will do) you will see a cut-off no more than 3 feet high. While driving down the road on a foggy night this type of lighting will perform far better then old fashioned fog lights.
It's always possible that this is just a psychological thing, but it's always seemed to me that yellow fog lights cut through the fog a bit better than white headlights.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you want fog lamps because of how they look on the car, go for it.

If you want to increase visibility in foggy conditions, save your money.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Almost all factory-installed or dealer-optional fog lamps, and a great many aftermarket units, are essentially useless for any purpose, especially for extremely demanding poor-weather driving. Many of them are too small to produce enough light to make a difference, produce beam patterns too narrow to help, lack a sufficiently-sharp cutoff, and throw too much glare light into the eyes of other drivers, no matter how they're aimed.

Good (and legal) fog lamps may produce white or Selective Yellow light—it is the beam pattern, not the light colour, that defines a fog lamp—and most of them use tungsten-halogen bulbs though there are some legitimate (and a lot of illegitimate) LED fog lamps beginning to appear. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snow and rain

I have actually found them very heful during snow and wet pavement conditions where the headlamps just shine ahead on falling snow or in rain when its hard to see striping whereas the fog lamps illuminate striping and point downward. There are many variables to give an overall statement and even if it is only a little improvement then I am all for it considering what is at stake.

If you want fog lamps because of how they look on the car, go for it.

If you want to increase visibility in foggy conditions, save your money.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts