Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm thinking of adding some footwell lighting as my next mod. I'm guessing I should take power from the interior instrument lighting. Does anyone know which fuse is the instrument lighting tied to so I can tap it? The owner's manual isn't very specific on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally, I did this on my Aveo. I tied them into the dome light circuit so the foot-wells weren't a cave when the dome lights come on. I personally wouldn't tie them into the dash lights, I would find another circuit to tie into if you want them on all the time that has either "accessory power" or ignition power. Just depends on exactly what you're looking to do. IMO

Best.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Additional suggestion to GotAmpsBro's, I'd shop for lights that are dimmable and feature a slow on/off fade. You could probably do it yourself with some capacitors but shopping for lights with this feature built in will probably match the Bolt's fade in/out interior lights as well. I wouldn't rely on the fade effect of the Bolt's dome light since it also allows for immediate on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I probed the fuses with a multimeter today and discovered that the "F51 Steering wheel controls backlighting" 2 amp fuse seems to be the circuit that has its brightness/voltage modulated by the Instrument Panel Illumination Control knob. I'll probably pick this one to tap since I want the foot well lights to act more like ambient lighting and it makes sense for its brightness to be controlled by that knob.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I probed the fuses with a multimeter today and discovered that the "F51 Steering wheel controls backlighting" 2 amp fuse seems to be the circuit that has its brightness/voltage modulated by the Instrument Panel Illumination Control knob. I'll probably pick this one to tap since I want the foot well lights to act more like ambient lighting and it makes sense for its brightness to be controlled by that knob.
so you want the footwell lights to be on all the time, and not just when the overhead lights are on (ie door open and shortly after)?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so you want the footwell lights to be on all the time, and not just when the overhead lights are on (ie door open and shortly after)?
Correct. I want the footwell lights to behave the same way as the blue ambient light pipe: full brightness when the doors are open and then fade to instrument panel brightness when driving.

I tried out the fuse tap on F51 fuse today. The fuse is a 2 amp mini fuse, so I used the corresponding mini fuse tap. (not the bigger ATO one) There is a grounding bolt right near the fuse box so that made it easy. For lights I used an old footwell light harness I had from my previous car. The lights work, so now it's just a matter of figuring out how to best route the wires when I have some free time.

Here is an YouTube video showing how to correctly tap a fuse for those interested:

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I haven't found any 12V LEDS that say they're dimmable for lower voltages. IS this ubiquitous or am I missing something?

I would suppose that a simple power resistor in series could be used to modulate max brightness at 12V, which would then drop not quite proportional to voltage.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I am thinking about getting the following. For $20 just plug into your cigarette charge and hide wires...

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Wsiiroon-Multicolor-Interior-Lighting-Waterproof/dp/B075MFDQFY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512486232&sr=8-2&keywords=led+car+lights+interior[/ame]

Or here is something that has optional fuse tap adapters

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Smart-Color-Strip-Interior-Lighting/dp/B00OU5LOT2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512486232&sr=8-4&keywords=led+car+lights+interior[/ame]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Picked up the Cigarette lighter plug in lights today. Amazon had a lighting deal for $11.99. overall good reviews. Once I get them ill install them and post pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts