Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
What exactly is "passive entry" - is it a door handle that senses your hand and then unlocks the car if the fob is within range? Wouldn't that require some wiring in the car in addition to the proper door handle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What exactly is "passive entry" - is it a door handle that senses your hand and then unlocks the car if the fob is within range? Wouldn't that require some wiring in the car in addition to the proper door handle?
The 2020 Bolt eliminated the buttons on the rear door handles that allow you to unlock them with a touch when you have a key fob in your pocket. All earlier models had those buttons on all 4 doors. The question was directed at finding out if there was a way to use an older model's rear door handle on a 2020 Bolt.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
The 2020 Bolt eliminated the buttons on the rear door handles that allow you to unlock them with a touch when you have a key fob in your pocket.
Ah, OK. I knew that, but hadn't heard the door buttons referred to as "passive entry" before. I'm sure that door handles from a 2017-2019 would physically fit, the big question would be whether the electrical harnesses in the 2020 would accommodate it.

Since you'd have to open the rear door up anyway, you might look in there to see if there's a connector for the door handle. If so, then the first place I'd check is a local scrapyard - unscathed rear door handles are probably common if the place has any Bolts and you might find one in your colour rather than having to paint a stock part from the factory.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are 0 Bolts in salvage yards in Oklahoma. I have only ever seen 1 Bolt actually driving in Tulsa. I expect I could just replace the center section. Also, the sensor from the front door may pick up from pressing the rear door. The more I use the car the more I really miss unlocking from the rear door. Really GM, how much did you save?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Also, the sensor from the front door may pick up from pressing the rear door.
When I talk about the wiring harness my concern isn't whether the car will detect the key fob, it's whether there will be a place to plug in the door handle. The door handle has a button, and wiring from the door handle to the car's electronics is how the car finds out that the door handle button's been pressed. That funny looking appendage with the square block on the right side of the door handle illustration would be the wire and plug that needs to connect to the wiring harness.

When I compare the rear door for the 2017 Bolt to the rear door of the 2020 Bolt, it looks like the "control cable" (Part 8 on the 2017 Bolt) is missing from the 2020 Bolt. Looks to me like that's the wiring harness. That suggests to me that you're going to need more than just a door handle, and indeed there's a chance that even if you added all the wiring the car's updated software might not recognize the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts