Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am still enjoying my 2017 Bolt. I keep records of various bits of info regarding my car, but I didn't put down anything about Chevy's additional warranties for the batteries in the 2017-2019 batteries.

I remember someone posting that info, and a search online didn't yield what I am looking for. Can someone help me out?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I haven't seen anything about additional warranties, but recall fixes aren't generally tied to warranties.
i.e. if you have an issue related to this problem when the battery is past it's warranty, they should still fix it, as it is related to the recall...

That said, IANAL... I only play one on the internet... And no one should listen to me. Just ask my wife. ;-)

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am still enjoying my 2017 Bolt. I keep records of various bits of info regarding my car, but I didn't put down anything about Chevy's additional warranties for the batteries in the 2017-2019 batteries.

I remember someone posting that info, and a search online didn't yield what I am looking for. Can someone help me out?
On the recall service procedure document at NHTSA, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-5306.pdf, the top of page 10 states:
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
The service procedure includes replacing defective battery modules based on the diagnosis. Those two things combined imply that GM will replace defective battery modules under this recall "at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership."

·
Registered
16 Posts
This doesn't mean you can have the recall performed and then have unlimited battery warranty - just that they have to perform the recall regardless of age or mileage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This doesn't mean you can have the recall performed and then have unlimited battery warranty - just that they have to perform the recall regardless of age or mileage.
Yep.
Also that if later, past warranty, there is a problem that is related to the problem addressed by this fix, they have to fix/replace it.
That said, there might be some discussions about whether your problem is related to the recall (covered) or is it related to battery age or some other issue (not covered).
I wonder if there will be questions around that moving forward???
Or will they (and we) be able to tell which is which?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
The service procedure includes replacing defective battery modules based on the diagnosis. Those two things combined imply that GM will replace defective battery modules under this recall "at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership."
Just as long as we all remember that "defective" in this context means "poses a safety risk" as opposed to "is worn out" or "has reached end of life".

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Just as long as we all remember that "defective" in this context means "poses a safety risk" as opposed to "is worn out" or "has reached end of life".
Defective according to the service procedure, which means you have a battery cell that is more than 0.08V lower than the average cell voltage. It does not mean anything else, particularly anything about general battery capacity degradation. That's still limited to 60% capacity at 8 years and 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only thing that frosts me is I lost 6 months of warranty waiting for the recall as I couldn’t buy or use the 2017 bolt I put a deposit on last November.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing that frosts me is I lost 6 months of warranty waiting for the recall as I couldn’t buy or use the 2017 bolt I put a deposit on last November.
I wonder if you could contact GM about that concern?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the recall service procedure document at NHTSA, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-5306.pdf, the top of page 10 states:

Great! Thanks for that info. I have put that in my notes. I have a horrible memory so I have to write stuff down! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep.
Also that if later, past warranty, there is a problem that is related to the problem addressed by this fix, they have to fix/replace it.
That said, there might be some discussions about whether your problem is related to the recall (covered) or is it related to battery age or some other issue (not covered).
I wonder if there will be questions around that moving forward???
Or will they (and we) be able to tell which is which?
Good question!
Good point. Not a guarantee of unlimited warranty but a good reassurance GM will deal with situations that come up that are possible related to cell defects.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Good question!

Good point. Not a guarantee of unlimited warranty but a good reassurance GM will deal with situations that come up that are possible related to cell defects.
Revising my previous claim: There's another poster who suggests that GM may not replace defective batteries for free after 8 years / 100,000 miles if you've had the recall already "completed" on your Bolt.

·
Registered
42 Posts

If the recall states that it should be performed regardless of vehicle age, and the service procedure includes "Test and Replace 12V battery", does that mean when my 12V battery goes south, I can go back and ask them to re-execute recall RCSB-20V701-5306 page 2 operation 9105420 ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
If the recall states that it should be performed regardless of vehicle age, and the service procedure includes "Test and Replace 12V battery", does that mean when my 12V battery goes south, I can go back and ask them to re-execute recall RCSB-20V701-5306 page 2 operation 9105420 ?
If the recall has not yet been completed, yes. Once the recall is closed out by the dealer, it is done and gone. Check out liuelson's link above. I explain in more detail there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If the recall has not yet been completed, yes. Once the recall is closed out by the dealer, it is done and gone. Check out liuelson's link above. I explain in more detail there.
Yeah, I figured "free 12v replacements for life" was probably not a reasonable hope. But maybe now I'd recommend to others that if they haven't had the recall, and they use Hilltop and park in a safe place, then maybe they want to put-off the recall until their 12v battery resting voltage drops... then get a free 12v battery when they have the recall done.

(also, the jury is still out, but maybe GM has nerfed the charge curve a small bit).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I figured "free 12v replacements for life" was probably not a reasonable hope. But maybe now I'd recommend to others that if they haven't had the recall, and they use Hilltop and park in a safe place, then maybe they want to put-off the recall until their 12v battery resting voltage drops... then get a free 12v battery when they have the recall done.

(also, the jury is still out, but maybe GM has nerfed the charge curve a small bit).
I had the recall done, and recently when I dcfc'd I noticed a gradual tapering rather than the step-down the car had before.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Yeah, I figured "free 12v replacements for life" was probably not a reasonable hope. But maybe now I'd recommend to others that if they haven't had the recall, and they use Hilltop and park in a safe place, then maybe they want to put-off the recall until their 12v battery resting voltage drops... then get a free 12v battery when they have the recall done...
I admit wondering if an ODB2 reader and Torque Pro would be enough to put off the recall. On balance, however, I don't think I can ever recommend putting off a safety recall. The updated diagnostic software is just as important, maybe more important, than the one-time check of battery cell voltages.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I admit wondering if an ODB2 reader and Torque Pro would be enough to put off the recall. On balance, however, I don't think I can ever recommend putting off a safety recall. The updated diagnostic software is just as important, maybe more important, than the one-time check of battery cell voltages.
I went over to the discussion with the old charging and new curve. If GM did indeed turn down the charge rate a bit that could indicate the charge rate was a bit high and possibly contributing to battery fires. If this is the case, getting the recall done is even more important as hilltop reserve or keeping to a lower state of charge may not prevent problems.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
I went over to the discussion with the old charging and new curve. If GM did indeed turn down the charge rate a bit that could indicate the charge rate was a bit high and possibly contributing to battery fires. If this is the case, getting the recall done is even more important as hilltop reserve or keeping to a lower state of charge may not prevent problems.
I don't recall the charging circumstances of all the fires, but I thought some were charging at home, which would be Level 1 or Level 2. There wouldn't be any charge curve or tapering involved.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't recall the charging circumstances of all the fires, but I thought some were charging at home, which would be Level 1 or Level 2. There wouldn't be any charge curve or tapering involved.
That is true, level 1 or 2 wouldn't have tapering involved. But wondering out loud... suppose the dcfc rate was a bit high, and each time fast charging was used there was a slight bit of damage and after a number of fast charges the battery developed issues?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts