Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT purchased used, previous vehicle was a 2015 Chevy eSpark
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-
Currently enjoying the WiFi (procrastinating homework) as my partner drives. I wanted to create a post to answer any questions about towing with the Bolt and demonstrate it's capabilities.

First off, our trailer is not a camp trailer and is instead a utility trailer. Not quite cold enough to need one yet. Anyway we are towing about 1000lbs in climbing gear, motorcycle stuff and camp gear. That 1000lbs includes the trailer's weight. Our efficiency isn't bad and overall we are averaging about 3mi/kWh. Going through Spanish Fork Canyon it was lower, but oddly we only used <15% more energy throughout that drive loaded v. unloaded.
Plant Gadget Vehicle Clock Font

That photo was taken at the top of the hill climbing of Spanish Fork. We went the speed limit and ran the heater. Not terrible for going 65mph up some pretty steep grades.
Here's the kit:
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

On the highway we were above 3.1mi/kWh. We averaged 65mph to give us some room to accelerate if we had to. The load really effects performance over 50 mph but it's not unsafe.
On the rural highway between price and green river we are getting about 3.5mi/kWh going 65mph but it's going to crash when we hit the I-70.
Anyway, I'll keep y'all updated. We plan to charge at the rivian stations while we play around on the motorbike and try out charging the bike off the car while we are in kane creek.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
We're familiar with traversing that area and JMHO, but it's not the Bolt's natural habitat. You're pioneering new vistas.

jack vines

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're familiar with traversing that area and JMHO, but it's not the Bolt's natural habitat. You're pioneering new vistas.

jack vines
This is my Bolt's fourth trip to Moab if I am remembering right this year.
Now if we want to talk brutal terrain for the bolt look no further then the dozen or so times I've taken my bolt to the San Rafael Swell this year. That area is just looking to put a hole in my battery. . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you charging up in Price? I live in in Utah county and would love to take my bolt to moab? What are your charging stops and where do you charge in Moab?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you charging up in Price? I live in in Utah county and would love to take my bolt to moab? What are your charging stops and where do you charge in Moab?
That is Price! Driving to Moab is a snap, I came from Salt Lake City but forgot to charge at my local public charger the night before. Pulling our trailer we had to stop in Spanish Fork because we left with 60%, Charged to 70% and got to Price with around 25% even with the trailer. Usually when I leave with a full charge from Utah County I can make it to Price with over 60% of a pack (I've driven straight to green river once with 15% left). For my adventures I usually drive to Price and charge up a good way. You need at least 60% to safely traverse between Green River and Moab so if you get to GR with over 60% you can skip those chargers. Getting back you will use about 60% getting between Green River and Price. There's more to it, shoot me a DM and I can get you my email and we can talk there if you prefer : )

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotta use the underside of the vehicle too or it wears unevenly.

Ed's Trailhead for Silver Star mountain reviews say a high clearance 4x4 is required, but here I am with the only other vehicle at the trailhead.

About that. . .
Tire Car Wheel Sky Mountain

In an act of spontaniousness I attempted the "Little Lion's back".
I didn't make it far. And before that photo was taken this happened. . .
Sky Tire Wheel Mountain Car

My partner was supposed to be spotting me around the tricky terrain surrounding the incline but he told me to go left and this happened. I had to get pulled out lol which makes it 3 times now that bolt has been high centered in Moab. . .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you need a skid plate for the battery.
One of these days I'm probably going to find myself behind the wheel of Rivian. Even my mom says I need one of those. I'll keep the bolt though, daily drive that and adventure out the back of those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts