Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

Sorry for this long post. We had planned a trip to Franconia Notch State Park (in NH) a while back for this weekend and I am thinking, "why not take the Bolt?". Since I am a noob at this and there are few DCFC options in the area - I wanted to run the plan(s) by all of you:

Trip details and charging options:
Trip from Boston to AirBnb ~140mi going North on Hwy 3 and 93
I have to yet get confirmation from the AirBnB owner, but they should have a 120V outlet near the carport.
@71mi from home is an EVgo DCFC at a Whole Foods in Manchester
@160mi NW from home and ~40mi east of the airBnB is another EVgo DCFC option at a Hannaford's in Haverhill.
@190mi N from home and ~50mi N from the airBnB is a locally managed DCFC charger at Rogers Campground in Lancaster.
@200mi NW from home is another DCFC at Danville.
Close to the AirBnB, there are a few EV plug L2s at lodges that have restaurants and we can charge there while we eat.
I dropped a Plugshare map screenshot below.

Plan 1:
a. Leave home Fri ~6:30pm and arrive at the EVgo in Manchester, NH (~71mi from home) around 7:45p. Eat dinner around there and charge for an hr to get back to full/close-to-full charge.
b. Drive on to the airBnB and arrive with around 150-170mi of charge left. (Hopefully we can add ~30mi of charge using the 120V overnight but I am not counting on it since I do not have confirmation yet.)
c. Sat morn - Go about the white mountains area, hike, bike, etc and arrive into a DCFC either at Rogers Campground in Lancaster or an EVgo in Danville (both ~50-60mi from the airBnB and I would be at 90-100mi of charge left at that point). Charge to full and then almost forget about charging the rest of the time and get straight home after the other hike planned on Sunday. Make a pitstop if at all needed at Manchester, NH again.

Plan 2:
a. Leave home Fri ~6:30pm and drive on to the airBnB and arrive around 9pm with around 70-80mi of charge left. I am low-balling due to climate control, etc.
b. Sat morn - have (looong) breakfast near one of the L2 chargers to add another 30-40mi of buffer (range of >100mi). Hike, etc and again target the DCFC chargers in either Rogers camp or Danville to fill up.
c. Drive around on Sunday and either drive straight home or make a pitstop in Manchester, Nh based on the situation.

Any thoughts/comments much appreciated! Please also feel free to tear apart any assumptions I have made. I would much rather get beaten up here than be stranded and forever freak out my wife from another EV road trip :) Will post some nice photos of the park as payment :D>:)

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
have you run your route through https://www.evtripplanner.com - it will give you pretty good model of your KWh consumption for your routes if you enter the Leaf as your target vehicle (similar consumption rate to the Bolt, just a smaller battery)

EV trip planner will take into consideration elevation changes and speed and show estimated consumption rates for going up/down hill...wonderful tool for planning EV road trips - you can pay attention the KWH consumption numbers to see if you're with in the Bolt's 60 kWH budget.

iPad w/Plugshare installed with wifi setup to Bolt's hot spot is an awesome tool for EV road warriors

mobile 240 volt charger in the car will allow you to also charge at RV parks using 50 AMP RV hook ups (bolt will charge at 32 amps)

your plan sounds good - but beware head winds for range calculations - if you encounter head windows the only solution is reduce speed or charge more frequently...

have fun!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That sounds like a fun trip you have going on there but utilizing the trip planner site would be a great idea just to be a little bit more accurate. The last thing you want is to over-estimate how well you'll do and end up having to spend a lot longer at a charger than you anticipated and throw your plans off completely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much David and Electro! I checked out the link - it's a fantastic tool indeed. I was mostly in sync, but realized the value of elevation, etc a bit more now :) Will let you guys know how it all went once I get back - appreciate the assist!

Reactions: David M O'Rourke

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think in the future what we might see are fellow owners suggesting that expect to get 10% less range that you expected or something like that. At least setting your expectations a bit lower gives a realistic point of view. Unless we can get jerry cans full of electrons ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts