Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Official charger hmm? This company does make chargers that work with every EV out there, but is not directly an official charger for any other vehicle.

though it’s available through dealerships that sell the Bolt, the AeroVironment charger doesn’t come with the car like a prize in a Cracker Jack box. It’s an official accessory that buyers will have to purchase. The retail price for the 30-amp 240-volt charger is about $1,000.

It is a Level 2 charger, which means it will charge your Bolt (or any EV) five times faster than plugging the car into a regular household outlet, which is known in the EV universe as Level 1 charging. The EVSE-RS is rated to be used indoors or out, so if you don’t have room inside the garage to park your car, it can be installed elsewhere so you can charge in the driveway.

No other electric vehicle on the market right now has an official charger

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Good for them for getting the contract to sell in Chevy dealerships. But I heard it could be loud when it's charging.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
42 Posts
A thousand bucks for a 30 ampere level 2 charger? Really? That's paying an incredible premium for the privilege of picking it up at your local dealership.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A thousand bucks for a 30 ampere level 2 charger? Really? That's paying an incredible premium for the privilege of picking it up at your local dealership.

This^

My salesperson briefly tried to tell me i needed the Chevy charger, cause it would charge the car faster.
I scoffed and shot him down with facts.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Look for Clipper Creek home charging stations. They run from about $395 for a 20 amp 240 volt unit, with a similar 30 amp unit costing about $550. They are US-made and have a three year warranty. They use designations indicating the rating of the breaker needed, not the amperage they draw (you can only use 80% of the full rated power of a circuit continuously). Thus a 20 amp station would be named "HCS-25" or "LCS-25" and a 30 amp unit would have a "40" designation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Look for Clipper Creek home charging stations. They run from about $395 for a 20 amp 240 volt unit, with a similar 30 amp unit costing about $550. They are US-made and have a three year warranty. They use designations indicating the rating of the breaker needed, not the amperage they draw (you can only use 80% of the full rated power of a circuit continuously). Thus a 20 amp station would be named "HCS-25" or "LCS-25" and a 30 amp unit would have a "40" designation.
ClipperCreek has really good reviews, but I wanted a WiFi connected version. I initially got a JuiceBox® Pro 40. JuiceBox has very strong reviews on Amazon and their prices are very competitive, but their units are not UL listed. I returned the JuiceBox, but saw that eMotorWerks (the makers of the JuiceBox) also sell a version of the ClipperCreek HCS-40 that is WiFi enabled using their Juicenet software. I ended up purchasing that model so I now have a favorably reviewed ClipperCreek model (that is UL listed) with WiFi. I almost got a ChargePoint unit as it is probably the most stylish unit available and I like their app.

https://emotorwerks.com/hikashop-menu-for-module-109/1620-jn-cc40/category_pathway-40

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I have the Nissan-branded 30A version of this unit. Has worked fine to charge my PiP for the last 4.5 years, and also have used it to charge a 2011 Volt and a 2012 RAV4-EV. This 32A unit in theory will be ever so slightly faster than the 30A units that are widely available, if the Bolt can actually pull more than 7.2 kW. Aerovironment sells 30A units, starting at $599. Installation is extra. No cost difference between an OEM-branded version (Nissan, Volvo, Ford, Fiat, etc) and the non-branded version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is just AeroVironment's business model, is all. They're the boring-default-car-stereo of yesteryear; works just fine, "yeah yeah throw it in" easy dealer integration, and everybody in the chain gets a cut of the profit so they charge way too much for it. But when John-Doesn't-Know-Anything-About-EV's Doe buys his first EV it's very easy to just listen to the salesman and get the 'official' charger that is 'guaranteed to work' and can be wrapped into the purchase or lease price. AeroVironment is glad to be there and serve that role.

Just like you don't keep the picture that comes with the frame, and you don't keep the crappy AC Delco stereo that comes with the car of old, once you actually know something there's a world of chargers out there from stodgy to home-experimenter level, at prices all across the board. But that level of willingness to learn about EVSEs and desire to have better than 'what comes with the car' usually doesn't hit until the person's 2nd EV or later. And by then AV's made their money. :)

FWIW their product is perfectly fine, if a bit drab/boring. It's just hugely overpriced for what it is (or at least it used to be when they tried to shove one at me when I got my first Leaf) and uses a tie-in marketing methodology that I really dislike.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, so for lack of a better example, when the dealer tries to tell you they'll get your car paint sealed for $2500 and give you some generic old coating when you can get the newer better stuff for half the price done by a professional detailer

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I'd take a Clipper Creek HCS-40 for $565 instead. Heck, or just mod the OEM 120v charging cord and settle for 3.3 kW charging for $30 out of pocket.

I currently have a CC LCS-25.....has a 4.8 kW max output. I was like "wtf is up with the 4.8 kW charge rate??" when I first got it, but I'm glad I did. Won't be able to take advantage of the Bolt's max charge rate, but that's 13.5 hours for a full charge from depletion. Considering I'll probably rarely ever have to charge at home from a nearly depleted state, overnight charging should still be fine to get back to full by morning.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I just want a level 2 charger I can buy and install myself. I guess this means Clipper Creek for me? Is that the best choice? I don't think I need fancy WiFi switching.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I just want a level 2 charger I can buy and install myself. I guess this means Clipper Creek for me? Is that the best choice? I don't think I need fancy WiFi switching.
Clipper Creek is best bang for the buck. Plus they have almost bulletproof reliability. It's no frills, but if all you want is a L2 EVSE that works, can't really go wrong with CC. I have no opinion of AV, but I guarantee it won't be as cheap as CC, unless GM is subsidizing the price.

Clipper Creek units are also made in the USA.

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think that's the only "off the shelf" EVSE you can buy that's US made.
As stated above, EmotorWerks is also US made:
Right now the 40A (10 kW) unit is on sale for $499.
The "smart" (wifi enabled) version is $599

If you are in CA, they have a "rewards" program with some utilities if you let the utility influence when your EV is charged (cheap/green power available).

·
Registered
39 Posts
As stated above, EmotorWerks is also US made:
Right now the 40A (10 kW) unit is on sale for $499.
The "smart" (wifi enabled) version is $599

If you are in CA, they have a "rewards" program with some utilities if you let the utility influence when your EV is charged (cheap/green power available).
The Juicebox EVSEs are not UL listed (although some articles claim they will be by the end of the year). This could be a problem for some State rebate programs.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
42 Posts
Too bad there's no deal available on an EVSE. When I got my Spark there was a $500 credit towards the purchase of a Bosch PowerMax. Sure it's OEM'd from Delta but it's never given me a moment's grief in almost three years now. Right now the HCS-40 sounds like a deal. Well regarded company, 32 amperes, and a 25 foot cable for $565; I think that's what I would choose if I had to replace mine.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts