Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out the hard way that deer do not hear electric cars. As a result, I am looking for a hood and grille. I have an Artic metalic blue Bolt and am contemplating installation of silver upper and lower grilles instead of the normal black ones. I would appreciate any suggestions as to the color of the grilles as well as a good source for a new hood. Thanks in advance for any advice folks may have. Thank you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are hoods and grills on ebay. don't ask me how I know When changing grills be sure that the various sensing instruments are a match to your car's sensing options.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Sparks. Anyone have any thoughts as to a silver Vs black upper and lower grill on an artic metallic blue Bolt?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I found out the hard way that deer do not hear electric cars.
Nothing to do with hearing electric cars. Deer will run in front of anything on the road. A friend drives an unmuffled diesel pickup with off-road tires which can be heard coming a half-mile away. He's hit two deer this year. I drive rural roads and seldom make the 50-mile trip without seeing one or two fresh road kills.

Slightly off topic, but another friend rides motorcycles. On a clear day on a straight road, his next memory was coming to bleeding in a ditch. Fortunately, nothing was broken, so he picked himself up, saw his cycle in the ditch behind him with a dead deer wrapped around the front forks under the handlebars. He still has no idea where the deer came from.

Another friend had spent big bucks restoring a Chevrolet convertible and was on its maiden voyage through the countryside. A deer leapt off an embankment, plunged through the fabric top, destroying it, hooves stomped holes in the new upholstery, kicked the driver in the head; he lost control, hit a tree, totaling the car. The deer ran away.

jack vines

BTW - consider yourself lucky it was just a deer you hit. We had a local couple killed when they hit a moose at 60 MPH. The 1,000# animal came right through the windshield.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
BTW - consider yourself lucky it was just a deer you hit. We had a local couple killed when they hit a moose at 60 MPH. The 1,000# animal came right through the windshield.
They really need a moose test for cars. :0

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm wondering how long natural selection will take to make deer avoid vehicles?

On a tangent thought, since bugs have such short generational cycles, I wondered if they would adapt to avoid cars. Seems bugs don't avoid death so much as they proliferate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I heard about someone who hit a moose fast enough that they were past the moose before it fell. Moose peeled the roof off the car, but the driver was unhurt. If you are going to hit a moose, do it fast.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Still remember the story of a deer struck by a vehicle on a two lane road, sending the deer through the windshield of a vehicle coming the other way, killing the driver of that vehicle! I think it was a family with the father driving, IIRC.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
This discussion reminded me of the most amazing thing I saw the other day. A big turtle was crossing the road ahead. The car ahead of me swerved to miss it, as I did too. This turtle was running!!. It was hoisted well above the ground with its legs extended down, like an alligator on the run. Every other turtle I have ever seen in the road was on its belly, moving slowing, often pulling in its head when cars approach.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Maybe in Canada only, in Florida our deer are small. It's the love bugs and methheads you have to watch out for.

You may need to drive a HUMMER EV in Florida. LOL

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
21 Posts
This discussion reminded me of the most amazing thing I saw the other day. A big turtle was crossing the road ahead. The car ahead of me swerved to miss it, as I did too. This turtle was running!!. It was hoisted well above the ground with its legs extended down, like an alligator on the run. Every other turtle I have ever seen in the road was on its belly, moving slowing, often pulling in its head when cars approach.
It's peak breeding season for snapping turtles right now. They travel surprisingly far to find a suitable nesting site.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
21 Posts
I found out the hard way that deer do not hear electric cars.
Nah, it's not just electric cars.

I'm reminded of the one deer I've ever hit. I was driving my F-150 to town through the winding country roads, and as I rounded a corner on a left turn, I noticed a young buck in the field to the left. My sudden appearance startled him, so he bolted towards the road, evidently to get to the woods on the right hand side. Naturally, I slammed on my brakes. Then, for some reason known only to him, the buck reached the right ditch while turning away from me, then turned left and bolted back across the road again. I bumped his left hip with the left side of my bumper and caused him to trip, but he recovered pretty quickly and headed for the woods on the opposite side of the field. Didn't even dent my bumper, and while he was probably no worse for the wear in the long term, he probably felt that love tap for the rest of the day.

Then there's my mom. When I was in school everyone at her position at her workplace got a Chevy Cruze for an experimental company car program. Within about three months, she hit two deer, and about two months beyond that obliterated a coyote (and her radiator) while going 75 down the interstate. Considering she'd nicknamed it "Silver Bullet", I think it's only natural she killed three common game animals with it. Then again, she also mentioned about half of those company cars had been involved in other incidents, so maybe the Cruze is just a magnet for trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts