Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After On-Star expired, I am having trouble with Apple Car Play and Siri. First I got a message about not trusting the SSL. Now when I try Siri, she says she is having trouble with the internet connection. I am doing this with my iPhone connected via cable. Also, the Apple Map function can't calculate a route. I assumed without On-Star it would be essentially like using my cell phone communicating directly with ATT and just connected to the center console through the cable. Should I turn off the Chevy Bolt local wifi?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
After On-Star expired, I am having trouble with Apple Car Play and Siri. First I got a message about not trusting the SSL. Now when I try Siri, she says she is having trouble with the internet connection. I am doing this with my iPhone connected via cable. Also, the Apple Map function can't calculate a route. I assumed without On-Star it would be essentially like using my cell phone communicating directly with ATT and just connected to the center console through the cable. Should I turn off the Chevy Bolt local wifi?
Are you talking about the OnStar guidance trial, or the in-car OnStar WiFi data trial? If the OnStar WiFi data trial is over, you should definitely turn off the WiFi in the car. It sounds like the phone is connecting to the internal WiFi in the car, but can't actually get on the Internet because you are out of data.

Reactions: HighGs

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Are you talking about the OnStar guidance trial, or the in-car OnStar WiFi data trial? If the OnStar WiFi data trial is over, you should definitely turn off the WiFi in the car. It sounds like the phone is connecting to the internal WiFi in the car, but can't actually get on the Internet because you are out of data.
This is exactly the problem. I had the same problem because I guess I never signed up, or activated OnStar or something. I could connect to the car's wifi, but not the internet and so Siri and the maps couldn't function. As soon as I tuned off the wifi, the phone went back to the LTE network and every thing worked.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I could connect to the car's wifi, but not the internet and so Siri and the maps couldn't function. As soon as I tuned off the wifi, the phone went back to the LTE network and every thing worked.
Rather than having to turn the phone's WiFi on and off every time you get into or out of the car, can't you just remove the car's WiFi hotspot from the phone's list of saved WiFi connections so that it won't try to use it? That's what I'd do with my Android phone if I owned a Bolt...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rather than having to turn the phone's WiFi on and off every time you get into or out of the car, can't you just remove the car's WiFi hotspot from the phone's list of saved WiFi connections so that it won't try to use it? That's what I'd do with my Android phone if I owned a Bolt...
I tried a number of things and the next time I got in the problem was gone. Dropping the WiFi hot spot out of the iPhone list should do the trick and maybe it did. Technology! Anyway, Siri seems happy as a bird now.:nerd:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts